• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are some good pilot B- billets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There are plenty of places to put pilots in B-billets. A lot, if not a majority, of FAC billets are involuntarily assigned. This is just an extension of the "Every Marine a rifleman" thing, in that every aviator is supposed to be able to go to the field. It also stems from the belief that pilots are better able to understand each other.

I think that belief is overstated. I know a little more, but not that much more about strike than most officers, and few strike pilots know much about assault support. So set up a school to teach the necessary knowledge and send some sharp, experienced NCOs to it.

To Rainman--Test Pilot School has mixed opinions on it. A lot of people will say that it's not good for your career because you get stuck in the non-operational world for a long time. Of course, people also say that HMX-1 is bad for your career, as well as flight school IP, FAO/RAO, grad school, acquisitions, OSO, NROTC, etc, etc. There's not a lot left. So, do what you want, while keeping in mind an overall plan, and do well at what you choose. There are exceptions to every cliche.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Back to an earlier question, billets at 8th and I are mostly 9910 billets, which any officer can fill. 9910 billets are distributed to the monitors for different fields, e.g. the rotary-wing company-grade monitor might have 2 security forces, 2 OSOs, and 1 8th and I, while a ground-officer monitor might have 3,4, and 2. Those numbers are out of my butt, but you get the idea. The company commanders' jobs there are probably going to be mostly grunts, but any O between 71 and 75 inches tall may be tapped to be in the parades. There are some off-the-wall B-billets that if I had been a little more open-minded, I should have entertained. An example would be security forces. If you want to do something weird, do it your first tour away from the fleet, because once you're more senior, your track gets a lot more prescribed.

Clux4

Banned
The security Forces is something I really like. I always thought it was an MOS opened to 0302's not knowing it was a B-billet.

Status
Not open for further replies.