• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What aircraft do NFO's fly in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
I'm about to have my last checkride in Primary tomorrow and have, over the last couple of months, decided that NFO training is the hardest (and most rewarding) thing that I have ever done.

This includes some prior-E time as an avionics guy (F-15's), a final inspector on the 777 at the Boeing factory, field service engineering on commercial HUD's and guidance systems, having an A&P and a PPL, and, of course, college. The SNFO program is kicking my ass, but I'm loving every minute of it (mostly). I'm strongly looking forward to the VNAV stuff in Intermediate.

I became a SNFO because, as an SNA, I was NPQ'd (eyesight). At first, I was disappointed and thought it would be something rather lame (compared to the exalted pilot), but have since been having the time of my life.

Pilot's scare the s--- out of me. I'm glad SOMEBODY is paying attention back there!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a Marine instructor pilot in NFO primary that had flown the F-4 and A-4. He said he would rather have a scared 19 year old PFC with a strong survival instinct then no one at all. He was sold on a two man tactical cockpit.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
There's a few German NFOs running around CTW-6 who are slated to be NFOs in helos. Actually, I think they're still flying SH-2s over there. I could dig it. Helo community seems pretty chill from what I've seen... pick stuff up, set it down, drop off some SEALs, fly low and fast... -18s may be cool, but you're spending a lot of time at 15K

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Good God...would everyone please not mention NFOs in helos. You never know when someone flying a desk might say, "You know, we should revisit that idea." Someone with a rank much higher than mine is out there, right now, thinking to himself "Gee, I really need something to put on my Fitrep. Hmm, this sounds like a good program to head up."

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Road Program said:
Good God...would everyone please not mention NFOs in helos. You never know when someone flying a desk might say, "You know, we should revisit that idea." Someone with a rank much higher than mine is out there, right now, thinking to himself "Gee, I really need something to put on my Fitrep. Hmm, this sounds like a good program to head up."

Are you kidding? Somebody's probably trying to figure out how to get rid of more NFO's, and if they can make a plane that a dog could fly, pilot's too. The airlines have finally gotten rid of the equivalent, the military is next.

This is the space age, after all. Note that the newest aircraft in the USAF inventory is flown by some geek behind a computer with a joystick. My kid could probably do that, and maybe even well. Wait till the rest of the services catch on to how great that is.

We'll have a bunch of Admirals, and bunch of maintenance types, and a bunch of 10-12 year old video game jockeys out there kickin' butt.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When that combat video game jockey job opens up, let me know. I have a 15 year old I'd like to put to work. Probably the only job I could get him to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.