• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What aircraft do NFO's fly in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integer1

Banned
gotp8nt said:
What are some of the different aricraft, besides, P-3's and F-14's, that NFO's fly in. Just looking for a little background info. Thanks...

NFO's can fly in anything. Boing 747 is one of the civilian planes, for example. As long as they don't actually fly the planes, they are eligible to do their job (sitting) in any and all planes with no restrictions. There's more job opportunities than pilots right there!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Integer1 said:
NFO's can fly in anything. Boing 747 is one of the civilian planes, for example. As long as they don't actually fly the planes, they are eligible to do their job (sitting) in any and all planes with no restrictions. There's more job opportunities than pilots right there!

Quite a statement from a person who is a "pre-appointee".

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Read again Patmack, Integer is slam'n NFOs. Implying we got a job anywhere because all we do is sit, not drive. If Integer thinks just sitting in a plane is all NFOs need to do then he ought to try "sitting" in a EA-6B when the safety of an entire strike, over a dozen aviators, is determined by how well he does his job "sitting" there. That ECMO must insure there is safe ingress and egress. His pilot will put the aircraft where need, including safely back aboard the ship, but the ECMO gets the mission done. The stick monkey can get an OK 3 wire after a black *ss case 3 approach to a pitching deck and he has done all he could and more (thanks to all those that did for me). But if the ECMO doesn't get his job right then dozens are at risk and the mission may even have to be flown over, risking even more. And there are no cocktails served in a EA-6B.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
No offense to the VP guys (well, maybe, but only because they are VP and no other reason) but there isn't much difference between what I do now and they are doing in the Navy today. I can land on a 6000+ foot runway just as well as any Air Farce pilot.

I'll agree with the runway (actually 5K min), but pushing 100-130K of plane around at 200' (with no altitude hold, thank you 'upgraded' AFCS) for hours at a time, with weaps/and-or engines shut down is a lot different than A to B. We do A to B to C, but our B gets pretty hairy.

But I get your point.

I'm not ragging on you in any way or trying to start a flame war, but I had to speak up. I don't want our advanced or FRS students thinking they're walking into something they aren't. And beat the Webmaster to a response (slackin there!)

end threadjack

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I second that one. Fly the planes and then you can talk. I believe that once you get in, there is a healthy amount of respect for what each person (pilot/FO) has for eachother. We both know that the other is essential to the mission. Frankly, looking at pilots, I can't believe that they are able to do some of the stuff they do. I wouldn't want to be responsible for landing on a pitching deck in the goo. So, read up on the facts before you comment. Both pilot and FO both do a hell of a lot. Just my 2 cents.
--Goplay

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey zab, don't you have enough per diem to spend on liberty? Looks as though you spend all your time picking out various avatars. You got a point, if you weren't a VP guy I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Fact is, the airline frowns on us shutting down an engine and flying around at 200 feet. I'd do it if I could. BTW you did a good job in John's place defending the community.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
Hey zab, don't you have enough per diem to spend on liberty? Looks as though you spend all your time picking out various avatars. You got a point, if you weren't a VP guy I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Fact is, the airline frowns on us shutting down an engine and flying around at 200 feet. I'd do it if I could. BTW you did a good job in John's place defending the community.

Touche. Unfortunately, I am not getting per diem flying a desk in Spanish for Dummies. Luckily, BAH is 1850, and my rent is 1200. In the meantime I fill up the bathtub and throw in wine corks with fishing line and lead weights of various lengths in patterns. Then come the alka-seltzer Corn-Pops prize sub...

Um, to try to get this thread back on track...NFOs do important work...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Touche. Unfortunately, I am not getting per diem flying a desk in Spanish for Dummies. Luckily, BAH is 1850, and my rent is 1200. In the meantime I fill up the bathtub and throw in wine corks with fishing line and lead weights of various lengths in patterns. Then come the alka-seltzer Corn-Pops prize sub...

Um, to try to get this thread back on track...NFOs do important work...

LOL let's see how many other people get that...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After landing on the pitching deck in the goo at night....the pilot asks, "What did you see on that landing?...Ball high, low?" NFO response "I don't know. I was scared and I had my eyes closed."
:) he he
ea6bflyr

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
Oh, man, this old argument. In my experience, the only people who really trash NFOs are Hornet FAGs (who don't have them) and "pre-appointee" types who've "heard a lot". Look, in the plane, everybody does his/her job. Yes, there's some single vs. double-anchor guys ribbing, but it's not serious. The rest of the air wing trusts us to keep them out of trouble and get them on the bad guys. We trust our pilots to get us aboard. Any serious trash talk either way, of pilots or FOs, is just diarrhea of the mouth.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
UncleFester said:
Oh, man, this old argument. In my experience, the only people who really trash NFOs are Hornet FAGs (who don't have them) and "pre-appointee" types who've "heard a lot".

Well, Hornets are getting NFOs soon with the number of Tomcat squadrons going down and being replaced by F-18Fs... so I guess that just leaves the "preappointees"... and maybe helo guys? ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No...just Pre-Appointees, because the Helo bubbas WISH they had NFO's to do all the navigating....and mission planning. ;)
ea6bflyr

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
I could dig being a helo NFO. There have been times I'd like to turn a minigun on the Boat, Matrix-style. F* yeah...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I recall some Royal Navy helos fly with NFO types. When the SH-60 was being developed they gave serious consideration to putting a NFO in the copilot's seat because of the increase in tactical operations from that seat and the increased ease of flying the then new technology single pilot. Never happened, of course. I'd look to it in the future though.

Status
Not open for further replies.