• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What aircraft do NFO's fly in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotp8nt

What are some of the different aricraft, besides, P-3's and F-14's, that NFO's fly in. Just looking for a little background info. Thanks...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
S-3 (doubt they're taking new guys though), EA-6B, E-2C, F/A-18F, F/A-18D. Tell you the truth, I'm not sure about the E-6B... not sure if they're all cryppy or whatever types in the back, or if they have some FOs.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You forgot EP-3's, and yes NFO's fly in E-6B's. F/A-18D's are Marine only for NFO's.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
You forgot EP-3's, and yes NFO's fly in E-6B's. F/A-18D's are Marine only for NFO's.

Ah yes, the EP-3.

Marine back-seaters are still NFOs, so I added it there. He never specified service.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
hey, just wondering. For you guys that are NFO 1st choice, why does NFO appeal to you? Not that it shouldn't, just curious as to the different motivations.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I'll chime in. First, F-14's and S-3's are officially closed to students so if you had any dream about flying those, can them. Second, I chose NFO because I like working with people. As the FO, you are pretty much always going to be working in the plane with a group. That's what I wanted to do. That, and being able to tell people exactly what to do and where to go sounded good too. Hope this helps.
--goplay

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Go helos or maritime and you'll still have others to play with as a pilot.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Also, in my humble opinion, at least in the training command, there is very little competition if any at all. Basically, everyone is there to help everyone else out. I can't speak for the pilots but I hear the rumors. In the FO world, everyone wants everyone else to succeed. I think this is because there is no one platform that everyone wants. Not everyone wants jets. In fact, in my class, it's not the main choice for about 60% of my class. Many of them want P-3's, E-2's, etc...Not to crap all over pilot training. I hear it is awesome too. But because there are less FO's in general and you are also in classes that have 50% AF and USMC, you won't find the classes to be competing with eachother. It's awesome and I love it. Now if I could only get my TOT's within 5 seconds...Oh well. It will come. Good luck in whatever you choose.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
The TACAMO also has NFOs...

So let's see...
P-3s
EP-3s
E-6s
E-2Cs
EA-6Bs
F/A-18Fs
and F/A-18Ds for the jarheads.

S-3Bs and F-14s, as goplay already pointed out, have NFOs but the pipeline is closed.

Why did I become a FO? Is 'didn't get picked up for a pilot slot' a good reason? :tapedshut

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Consider this recruting slogan from the dark ages when I joined the Navy..."A pilot is a pilot, a Naval Flight Officer is something else." Fact is, I was a pilot when I joined the Navy and am a pilot now,an airline pilot. No offense to the VP guys (well, maybe, but only because they are VP and no other reason) but there isn't much difference between what I do now and they are doing in the Navy today. I can land on a 6000+ foot runway just as well as any Air Farce pilot. You can be a pilot in the Navy, the AF, the Army, and as a civilian. But there is only one place you can be a NFO, and that is in the US Navy. What you do as a NFO you can not do anywhere else in aviation. But a pilot is a pilot. The job discription remains the same, stick monkey. We all make choices for different reasons. I was an eye sight reject. I'd like to say I would have done anything in the Navy out of patriotism and NFO was just my second choice, but that wasn't so. I wanted something that was unique and challenging. I didn't jump at NFO. I researched it, learned what it was all about, and then went for it. It was a good decision by me. I never felt like I missed anything.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I should have you talk to a friend of mine who got redesig to NFO because of medical.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously, any time. If he isn't sure, he will be miserable. I have counseled dozens of guys over the years, recruiting aside. I just want to have the very best man our fleet. If he isn't a member, put him on your PC and have him PM me or give him my email. I will be out of town for most of July on vaction (airline perk) so if he doesn't get to it soon it may be awhile before I get back to him.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Roger that! I'll send her (didn't specify before, but the person is a female) your e-mail address. Thanks Wink.

Status
Not open for further replies.