• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Well, no NROTC for me

sbpilot

I got denied to all the schools I applied to that had the program, so it looks like I will be going to UCSB this fall. Any thoughts as to what I should do next? A member on here gave me the name of a good recruiter to talk to, so I think I will be talking to him and considering my options as far as OCS goes for after college.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Do good in school and apply for the BDCP program. USCB is a great school (my best friend attends there), so no need to apply somewhere else. Plus, you can party at Isla Vista all you want.

sbpilot

No I did not apply to UC Davis, and UCSB doesnt have an affiliate school. BDCP sounds like a pretty good deal so im not too disapointed about the whole nrotc thing, but I hear its pretty hard to get a BDCP SNA slot.

From what I've read, you can apply to the program 36 months from graduation if its a technical major, and 24 if it isnt. What are you required to actually do while your contracted? And do they just send you money each month or something?

I was given the name of a good local recruiter, so I am going to call him soon, but my end goal would be to get an SNA slot either through BDCP or OCS. Does this seem possible for my situation?

thanks for the help

Edit: and yes IV is pretty crazy haha

Huggy Bear

pilot
UCSB. That is a good school (and playboy's #1 party school). Go there, do well, have fun, and work the OCS route. Once you are in flight school, nobody cares how you got there.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
BDCP has you technically in the Navy Reserve. I get paid E-4, meaning a paycheck every two weeks. I also get access to a nearby Air Force base, get military health insurance and use the BX whenever I want. BDCP is a sweet deal. The Navy does not pay for school directly, but you also get the GI Bill in the future for more school.

KSUFLY

pilot
BDCP has you technically in the Navy Reserve. I get paid E-4, meaning a paycheck every two weeks. I also get access to a nearby Air Force base, get military health insurance and use the BX whenever I want. BDCP is a sweet deal. The Navy does not pay for school directly, but you also get the GI Bill in the future for more school.

Plus...and one of the biggest benefits...you aquire leave time while on BDCP. This is huge!!! I have about 12.5 days leave left and I have used 27 days this FY and I used 39 last fiscal year. And I'm a Dec '05 OCS grad. I know one ensign that is 18 days in the hole and he laughs at me everytime I tell him I'm taking leave for a 3 day weekend.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I concur with the above posts. You can't beat BDCP. The only issue is that unlike NROTC, you can't do it all four years, so you get less $$.

When people ask me about it, I just tell them it's like ROTC, except I don't actually have to do anything.

You also get a guaranteed SNA slot with BDCP. You know what area in the Navy you're going into before you sign the contract.