• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Way too early FY20 O4 Board results

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
All of my sub friends who went to CHENG billets spot promoted to O-4 with the pay.

Ultimately didn't know the 3% thing and don't really care, but it's yet another reason to my list of things to be disgruntled about I guess.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All of my sub friends who went to CHENG billets spot promoted to O-4 with the pay.
There’s a list of billets somewhere, can’t remember where, that are authorized to be spot promoted. IIRC it’s mostly SWO CHENGs and NSW OPSOs.

Pags

N/A
pilot
As other alluded to, that's a spot promote, different from a frocking. @HAL Pilot set me straight that frocking =/= pay. Spot Promote on the other hand does get you paid. SWOs spot promote for tough engineering DH jobs. I know Sub guys and NSW do spot promotes as well. For the spot promote, you just have to fill the specific job. You don't even have to be screened for that pay grade; this equates to some guys getting paid for O-4 18+ months earlier than they would be otherwise.
Does SWO spot promote for CHENG jobs to attract talent or to give the CHENG rank over all the engineering LDOs? Also seemed like some of these spot promotes happened for engineering billets on staffs as well, likely for the same reasons.

azguy

None
Does SWO spot promote for CHENG jobs to attract talent or to give the CHENG rank over all the engineering LDOs? Also seemed like some of these spot promotes happened for engineering billets on staffs as well, likely for the same reasons.

Attract talent. Otherwise, frankly, no one would want to do it and they'd have to fill the jobs with lower-ranked guys...or force people into the job. Some of those spot-promote jobs equate to a $20k bonus over the course of a tour.

The thinking with spot-promoting the staff N4s is that you don't want them to be junior to all the spot-promoted CHENGs on the subordinate ships.