• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Way too early FY20 O4 Board results

azguy

None
Assumed that is how it worked and I'm wrong I guess, how does it work?

Only 3% promote per month, for the first 11 months of the FY. So the "bottom" 67% of the list has to wait a year to promote on Sep 1st, 2020.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Only 3% promote per month, for the first 11 months of the FY. So the "bottom" 67% of the list has to wait a year to promote on Sep 1st, 2020.
Hahahahahahah classic. What a cheap trick and another reason... well... ya know. Meanwhile all the peers I have at the lower level staffs that report to me are O-5s and all the peers in my office for the other warfare groups are 14-16 year O-4s. This makes sense that I am paid substantially less than they are. :rolleyes:

azguy

None
Hahahahahahah classic. What a cheap trick and another reason... well... ya know. Meanwhile all the peers I have at the lower level staffs that report to me are O-5s and all the peers in my office for the other warfare groups are 14-16 year O-4s. This makes sense that I am paid substantially less than they are. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's nice little money-saver...

Not a widely known thing, but officers can be frocked. You have to be screened for the next paygrade and in a billet coded for that next paygrade. I believe frocked = paid for officers so it's a really good deal. Never heard of it for O-4, and never seen it outside of DC but maybe worth asking about - it's basically designed for the situation you describe.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Frocking = no pay. Spot promotion = pay.

It used to be everyone got frocked. I was frocked for both O-3 and O-4. Frocking was at the CO’s discretion and they all did it.

Then we got joint and the other services complained as they didn’t frock. Unfair and artificial ranks. So Navy caved and there became all these rules - assigned to a higher pay grade billet, BUPERS approval, limit in number Navy wise closely tracked, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Never heard of it for O-4, and never seen it outside of DC but maybe worth asking about - it's basically designed for the situation you describe.

I've seen it done for a CHENG. He was coming off of a CHENG tour on a FFG as an O-3, went to a CG as CHENG and was SELECTED, so they frocked him to O-4. He was a good dude, on top of everything else, and an ally to the Air Dept. on the FFG during deployment, so when I got to the CG for an underway, I always (jokingly) made a huge deal asking permission to join him at the mess at meals, even though we both knew he was really just another O-3.

I was also frocked to O-3 unofficially (along with 5 others) because we were all getting underway for either workups or deployments and the squadron wanted to promote us while we were all still together.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

I think it was in the sequester timeframe. The more experienced folks like @Jim123 and @Gatordev can maybe answer.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've seen it done for a CHENG. He was coming off of a CHENG tour on a FFG as an O-3, went to a CG as CHENG and was SELECTED, so they frocked him to O-4.
SWOdom used to spot promote for this. Off the guy had already selected for O-4 he got an earlier DOR and pay. If he hadn’t selected yet and then failed to select, he went back to LT. SWOs and Submariners used spot promotions fairly regularly, aviation never used it. Spot promotions were only authorized for certain billets and came with the orders to them from BUPERS.

kejo

pilot
I technically frocked O-4 by four days (to line up with a ceremony for a departing O-6 select). This was in 2015. Also saw a cruiser XO frock to O-5 once he met us mid-deployment in 2017. Probably depends on how much your CO cares and/or how remote you are.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
SWOdom used to spot promote for this. Off the guy had already selected for O-4 he got an earlier DOR and pay. If he hadn’t selected yet and then failed to select, he went back to LT. SWOs and Submariners used spot promotions fairly regularly, aviation never used it. Spot promotions were only authorized for certain billets and came with the orders to them from BUPERS.

I wonder if this guy was spot promoted. It's possible, as it's been a bit since it happened. Either way, I still would be obnoxious about joining the mess, but that was true on any ship as long as the CO or XO weren't at the table.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Frocking = no pay. Spot promotion = pay.

It used to be everyone got frocked. I was frocked for both O-3 and O-4. Frocking was at the CO’s discretion and they all did it.

Then we got joint and the other services complained as they didn’t frock. Unfair and artificial ranks. So Navy caved and there became all these rules - assigned to a higher pay grade billet, BUPERS approval, limit in number Navy wise closely tracked, etc.
Some COs still do it. If you're in a sea going command, who's going to say anything?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
To be clear, the 3% per month promotion thing has been around for 10 years or more. The meritorious re-ordering is brand new. Since it's the "top" 10%, the non-meritorious senior 10% (mostly AZ types) will now wait ~3 months longer to promote, and 57% or more of folks will see no change (still promote in September)

azguy

None
I've seen it done for a CHENG. He was coming off of a CHENG tour on a FFG as an O-3, went to a CG as CHENG and was SELECTED, so they frocked him to O-4. He was a good dude, on top of everything else, and an ally to the Air Dept. on the FFG during deployment, so when I got to the CG for an underway, I always (jokingly) made a huge deal asking permission to join him at the mess at meals, even though we both knew he was really just another O-3.

I was also frocked to O-3 unofficially (along with 5 others) because we were all getting underway for either workups or deployments and the squadron wanted to promote us while we were all still together.

As other alluded to, that's a spot promote, different from a frocking. @HAL Pilot set me straight that frocking =/= pay. Spot Promote on the other hand does get you paid. SWOs spot promote for tough engineering DH jobs. I know Sub guys and NSW do spot promotes as well. For the spot promote, you just have to fill the specific job. You don't even have to be screened for that pay grade; this equates to some guys getting paid for O-4 18+ months earlier than they would be otherwise.