• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Way too early FY20 O4 Board results

Beaston321

Maximus Prospectus
Akin to last year, who would take the over under with the results posted by mid-september this go-around? Also, who else is reading into the convening order this year which has the overall unrestricted line officer selection rate at 90% vs 80% last year.......wonder how that will translate in to 1310/1320 selection rates for IZ/AZ.......

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I’m IZ this year, not expecting results until After September 1st. That being said my resignation is already in process, hopefully I can put it on in the reserves without too much trouble. ??‍♂️

Good luck to everyone waiting.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I'm pretty sure that going back to at least 2012, the O-4 results haven't come out any earlier than the week of Tailhook.

I feel your pain though, definitely remember the long wait.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
@SynixMan, you should put on O4 in the reserves without a problem.

The Navy fired me for not making O4, sent me to the reserve O4 board while still on AD since I indicated I was going SELRES, and a month after my last day of AD, I found out I made O4. If I can do it, you can!

SlickAg

pilot
@SynixMan, you should put on O4 in the reserves without a problem.

The Navy fired me for not making O4, sent me to the reserve O4 board while still on AD since I indicated I was going SELRES, and a month after my last day of AD, I found out I made O4. If I can do it, you can!
I got passed over, and dropped my letter in order to get my flying reserve spot locked up (they were only taking guys with approved letters who were inside of six months availability). Well, there was the conversation with the detailer about sea duty orders to be “more competitive” for my second look. But I needed the flight time and currency in case I didn’t have a job leaving AD. Plus, living local it made a lot of sense.

Even with an approved resignation letter I had to go up for the active duty O-4 board and get passed over again, even though I was already in the reserves when the results came out. I had to wait until the reserve board the following spring and finally pinned on that December, two years late. I was Above Zone/No Prior Consideration. It cost me thousands of dollars in pay, and has made my timing such that even though I’ll probably make O-5 in the reserves, I’d have to stay in until 22-23 years to retire as an O-5. That will probably be a bridge too far.

BLAB: do everything in your power to make O-4 on active duty and pin it on as a reservist. Don’t take a bad fitrep for the team.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Even with an approved resignation letter I had to go up for the active duty O-4 board and get passed over

Alright, stupid question time: They still look at you even after having dropped a letter which is accepted/approved before the board...? Why? Is that not a waste of their time?

SlickAg

pilot
Alright, stupid question time: They still look at you even after having dropped a letter which is accepted/approved before the board...? Why? Is that not a waste of their time?
Cynical (but probably real) answer: they need the cannon fodder to prove how “competitive” it is.

It’s probably some US Title __ thing. If I’d made it, good for me. I could’ve kept it and pinned on. So I don’t want the pendulum to swing the other way; I wish I could’ve gone for the Reserve board instead. It would make more sense for career timing as well.
The upside is that I shouldn’t have to ever worry about an overgrade waiver as an O-5. But then again, I’d rather get paid more sooner.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My guess is that you would have to submit a don’t pick me letter directly to the board. For the same reason as you oftentimes have to submit a letter for an award or FITREP that hasn’t yet made it into your OMPF, there’s a lag in the system, so even if you have an approved resignation letter, it may not yet be in your OMPF.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
So to clarify, the board already met and my resignation was submitted (tactically) after the board met. I was a multiple ranked EP record, so I’m assuming I have a high likelihood of selecting this AD board, but have to wait until next year sometime as a reservist to put on in the whole scroll/slating/promotion process. I’ve been reassured that it eventually catches up. I was vocal at my shore tour about not taking a middling FITREP just because I was planning to get out, and my command was receptive. I’m planning on supplementing regional pay with SELRES, so the pay difference matters to me. Also I think it’ll help pick up a flying SELRES spot but that’s a bit more nebulous.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I’m planning on supplementing regional pay with SELRES, so the pay difference matters to me. Also I think it’ll help pick up a flying SELRES spot but that’s a bit more nebulous.
Drill pay (and flight pay) before taxes, for an O4 at 10 years, is about $500 a day and first year regional pay is maybe half that- on the days that you work. The hard part is managing fatigue/burnout.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So to clarify, the board already met and my resignation was submitted (tactically) after the board met. I was a multiple ranked EP record, so I’m assuming I have a high likelihood of selecting this AD board, but have to wait until next year sometime as a reservist to put on in the whole scroll/slating/promotion process.

Yes. I've seen it happen multiple times.

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
Synix you should be set. I did the same thing last year and picked up O4 and put it on 3 months before leaving AD. If you don’t put it on before SelRes affiliation you’ll just have a bit to wait but they will back pay you for when you should have put on O4. We’ve had a few guys have this happen to them, just make sure you track what you’re owed and engage your admin early on it.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Synix you should be set. I did the same thing last year and picked up O4 and put it on 3 months before leaving AD. If you don’t put it on before SelRes affiliation you’ll just have a bit to wait but they will back pay you for when you should have put on O4. We’ve had a few guys have this happen to them, just make sure you track what you’re owed and engage your admin early on it.

Thanks! Can't wait to be part of the problem, but then again a Reserve LCDR is basically an AD LT, so I can still be cool, right JOPA?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I have a friend that received notice yesterday that the Navy selected him for Commander. The only problem is that he retired in April...

tenor.gif