• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Way too early FY20 O4 Board results

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a friend that received notice yesterday that the Navy selected him for Commander. The only problem is that he retired in April...

I actually know someone that happened too, he was able to reaffiliate with the reserves and came back for 3 years then retired again. There were some paperwork snafus along the way but they were worked out in time and worth it to him in the end with the increased retirement (he ran down the basic math one drill weekend).

snake020

Contributor
I actually know someone that happened too, he was able to reaffiliate with the reserves and came back for 3 years then retired again. There were some paperwork snafus along the way but they were worked out in time and worth it to him in the end with the increased retirement (he ran down the basic math one drill weekend).

How does that work in practice? Do you forego retired pay entirely whilst in reserve status, or only during days you're on inactive duty?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Synix you should be set. I did the same thing last year and picked up O4 and put it on 3 months before leaving AD. If you don’t put it on before SelRes affiliation you’ll just have a bit to wait but they will back pay you for when you should have put on O4. We’ve had a few guys have this happen to them, just make sure you track what you’re owed and engage your admin early on it.
Any idea how this works when going over to AFRES? Will I be a Captain for long? Does AF even JOPA?? Fuck. #weneedanAFRESforumprettyplease ?

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
Any idea how this works when going over to AFRES? Will I be a Captain for long? Does AF even JOPA?? Fuck. #weneedanAFRESforumprettyplease ?

Depends(classic TOPGUN answer). One of my friends from the squadron is doing this. Depends on if you put on O4 prior to transfer. If you don’t the answer he got was enjoy being a Captain and waiting for the AF promotion board, good news they are taking everyone, bad news is that you’re going to have to do JPME. He was told if you don’t have the rank on the AF won’t just bring you in as O4. This is all AFSOC/AFRES specific. No clue if the guard cares that much.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How does that work in practice? Do you forego retired pay entirely whilst in reserve status, or only during days you're on inactive duty?
If you’re in the gray area, you wouldn’t be getting paid anyway.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Depends(classic TOPGUN answer). One of my friends from the squadron is doing this. Depends on if you put on O4 prior to transfer. If you don’t the answer he got was enjoy being a Captain and waiting for the AF promotion board, good news they are taking everyone, bad news is that you’re going to have to do JPME. He was told if you don’t have the rank on the AF won’t just bring you in as O4. This is all AFSOC/AFRES specific. No clue if the guard cares that much.
Hah. Okay, gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks!

Is baseops not a thing anymore?
It is, but there's no area dedicated to gold wingers coming over. It's an intricate process and AF guys don't really care how we transition, as long as we do the paperwork (I don't blame them). The paperwork's a bitch, so it'd be nice to share gouge with guys going through the same process.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It is, but there's no area dedicated to gold wingers coming over. It's an intricate process and AF guys don't really care how we transition, as long as we do the paperwork (I don't blame them). The paperwork's a bitch, so it'd be nice to share gouge with guys going through the same process.

There is a "Transition" sub-forum here on the site that I asked webmaster to create many years ago when I was coming up on my MSR. It's low-traffic, but was meant for this kind of discussion.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay, so disregard. Apparently it went away sometime recently. I'm not seeing it anymore. Not sure if everything in the forum was moved to PNA.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Okay, so disregard. Apparently it went away sometime recently. I'm not seeing it anymore. Not sure if everything in the forum was moved to PNA.
Ah, shoot. I don't remember seeing that? Hmm. I think it would be great to add an AF sub-forum right below Navy Reserves and Marine Reserves, but that's only a request. I will get there either way, but it'd be great to have a place to dump gouge and whatnot, even if it's low traffic.