• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Waterfront property in the Spratlys? Good investment or not?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I believe the tariffs leveled at China are directed at a broader net result then those economic goals stated. Something similar too the economic component of Reagan's Soviet strategy. He challenged them to an arms race they could not win. It bankrupted the Soviet Union.

I am not saying Trump's tariffs will bankrupt China or lead to the fall of the Chicom government. I am suggesting that like the cost of massive deficit spending on the military in the 80s that hurt our economy, it was simply the cost of winning the cold war by other means. Besides the policy and moral victory, it led to the so called peace dividend in trade for the costly military expansion in the decade prior.

Trump's tariffs may cause economic damage over the short term. But if he gets what he wants, the long term benefit will out weigh the current cost. Any geopolitical benefit would be gravey.

I think that is exactly correct, especially since Peter Navarro and Robert Lighthizer are running the trade show. Couple of really good articles from www.politico.eu

Charge of the Lighthizer brigade
US trade chief tears up rule book to wage battle for global dominance.

https://www.politico.eu/article/the...lighthizer-brigade-trade-war-us-donald-trump/

https://www.politico.eu/article/don...de-sees-method-in-trumps-trade-madness-china/

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The recent NAFTA upgrade brings Canada and Mexico into the battle against Chinese trade practices. Now there is a unique angle no previous administration has thought to exploit. Now, all of North American is in some way aligned economically against unfair Chinese trade practices.

The Trump administration appears to be weaponizing trade practices and treaties to further notional interests and goals beyond simple economics. We have always had blockades and sanctions in the play book. I think this is a bit more nuanced and targeted. It is worth a try as no previous admin has had success with their piracy, and unfair trade practices. The average American citizen may pay a bit more for some things in the short term, but the pay off will come when US citizens are not losing jobs to Chinese companies that have stolen technology or unilaterally demanded transfers to gain market access or dump their goods on US shores. In time, with luck, the pressure Trump's new trade approach places on China may even move the human rights needle.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The recent NAFTA upgrade brings Canada and Mexico into the battle against Chinese trade practices. Now there is a unique angle no previous administration has thought to exploit. Now, all of North American is in some way aligned economically against unfair Chinese trade practices.

The Trump administration appears to be weaponizing trade practices and treaties to further notional interests and goals beyond simple economics. We have always had blockades and sanctions in the play book. I think this is a bit more nuanced and targeted. It is worth a try as no previous admin has had success with their piracy, and unfair trade practices. The average American citizen may pay a bit more for some things in the short term, but the pay off will come when US citizens are not losing jobs to Chinese companies that have stolen technology or unilaterally demanded transfers to gain market access or dump their goods on US shores. In time, with luck, the pressure Trump's new trade approach places on China may even move the human rights needle.

As China has moved to punish American farmers, Trump stepped up protections for those in agriculture - good move. Saw this today and thought it had a most quotable quote:

The Art of War has met The Art of the Deal. And The Art of the Deal has won.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/06/trump-has-china-quaking-in-its-boots/

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Quoting my favorite movie of all time (yes, Days of Thunder is my favorite movie).

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
As China has moved to punish American farmers, Trump stepped up protections for those in agriculture - good move. Saw this today and thought it had a most quotable quote:

The Art of War has met The Art of the Deal. And The Art of the Deal has won.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/06/trump-has-china-quaking-in-its-boots/
From the New York Post!? Solid.... Try this one.*

To the Chinese (and Russians), our internal political chaos and disfunction is more than enough #winning (for the time being). While we chase our tails they continue to advance their interests around the globe, largely with clients we either used to have, or should be pursuing partnerships with. There are a lot of dog-whistle terms and ideas being thrown around by acolytes of the current administration, but in almost every case they represent a withdrawal and/or disengagement from the global stage.

*source is the State Dept, so some of our more erudite members may be immediately allergic/skeptical.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the New York Post!? Solid.... Try this one.*

To the Chinese (and Russians), our internal political chaos and disfunction is more than enough #winning (for the time being). While we chase our tails they continue to advance their interests around the globe, largely with clients we either used to have, or should be pursuing partnerships with. There are a lot of dog-whistle terms and ideas being thrown around by acolytes of the current administration, but in almost every case they represent a withdrawal and/or disengagement from the global stage.

*source is the State Dept, so some of our more erudite members may be immediately allergic/skeptical.
Because they are never wrong or have alturial motives? It is an opinion. Valid? Well, sure. More learned than some others and some times less so. Excuse me for not assuming the government always right, always honest, and always fair. It is made up of people, ordinary people.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Because they are never wrong or have alturial motives? It is an opinion. Valid? Well, sure. More learned than some others and some times less so. Excuse me for not assuming the government always right, always honest, and always fair. It is made up of people, ordinary people.
Compared to the New York Post....C'mon dude.....

Any discussion or thoughts on the uncanny similarities between 1930 economic policy and that being discussed/lauded by Randy.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Any discussion or thoughts on the uncanny similarities between 1930 economic policy and that being discussed/lauded by Randy.
NY Post? Yeah, that would probably be a time when that State analysis was more valid and learned then the alternative. But how about Foreign Affairs? Fairly recently Foreign Affairs piece had a positive analysis of the China tariff strategy. Give me a break. The government doesn't have a lock on all the serious smart people. No offense, but most probably are not in government. I give them as much credit as government reports and analysis. You would be stupid not too.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Although the NY Post had the most quotable quote, here are a few perspectives that I found useful concerning the US-China trade war. In particular were the significant amount of exports as a portion of China's GPD (interestingly Germany was even more dependent on exports) China has to export to maintain their economy. Much of the developed world is in demographic decline, but the US has a market of sufficient size and purchasing power to absorb Chinese exports thus the necessity of China having to maintain access to the US market.

From the US Army War College

Niall Ferguson

George Friedman