• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WATCHES: Question for all you Aviators

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for actually using a watch, I use mine (G-Shock) every flight. The time memo function works great for T/O and land times. I know of at least one Breitling that has this function, but I’m working up towards that.

I use my watch all the time as well. It's nice to have the dual timezone feature for instant reference to zulu, and the stopwatch is usually easier to operate (and more realiable) than the old school 8 day clock.

Brett

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Respectfully disagree with A4s

In or out of the aircraft .... there is only one answer:

One of these .....

Or one of these .... anything else is rubbish, effeminate, or Euro-trash. :)

Sorry A4s, I respectfully disagree, and as that you please tell me why you think Rolex are the best.

Rolex makes great watches, rugged, reliable and proven. The 3135 movement in your two tone Sub (also used in the Seadweller, Yachtmaster, and Datejust) and the 3185 movement in the GMT II (and, yes, the GMT watch was developed with input from Pan Am pilots, see: http://www.ukwatches.com/Notes/rfgmt.htm), have both been around since 1988 and were based on earlier, reliable designs. And the designs for the Sub are pretty much archetypes for what we think of as a dive watch. Which is great...but both of your watches look alike. In fact, for the most part Rolexes for men look like Subs, Datejusts or the very dressy Cellinis (I guess you could throw in their chronograph, the Daytona). Classic, but pretty staid.

Are they the finest watches made? No, that tier belongs to the so called haute horology brands like Alain Siberstein, Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Chopard, Franck Mueller, IWC, Jaeger-Le Coultre, Patek Phillipe, and Ulysse Nardin (list from Chronocentric.com). Many of these watches are hand made, with complicated movements that are highly finished. Rolex are second tier with the likes of Omega, Breitling and Panerai, brands with mass produced movements, but still extremely nice. There is a whole 'nother world of high-end watches that most have not heard of because they are marketed toward the super-rich. I don't read the likes of Town & Country, but you can see ads for some of the above brands in that type of magazine. A basic analogy: Rolexes are more like Mercedes while the upper end is more like Rolls Royce or Bentley. :icon_king

Is Rolex the best because they are expensive? Well, there are Pateks that cost in excess of $100,000 so I guess they must be better.

Do you think they are the best because they are so well known? Well, I guess then Sony makes the best electronics, Bose makes the best speakers, Britney Spears is the best singer, etc., etc. Hype has made every rapper think that Rolex is the bling of choice for their wrist (see the hideous Leopard print Rolex Daytona attached).

Do you think they are the best because everyone says so? You wouldn't be alone if you did.

Do you think they are the best because you own one and it has been very accurate? You can find a lot of pilot-type watches at different price points that are as reliable and accurate (within COSC specs) as your Submariner and GMT II, made by German and Swiss watchmakers. I would definitely recommend the GMT II to a pilot, but I would also recommend watches by Archimedes and O&S for below $800; Fortis, Sinn and Glycine for around $800 to $2000, as well as the Breitling Colt GMT, and Omega Seamaster GMT for the $2000 to $3000 price point (sorry, those Breitling Navitimer dials are too freakin' busy for me and difficult to read). Some of the ones I mentioned are much like your issued one from your picture (sans compass) with very easy to read faces and handwound as well as automatic movements.

A4s, I'm not trying to argue, just honestly wondering why you think your two watches are the best; backed up with your usual well-written & lacerating reasoning, not just bluster in larger and larger typeface. :icon_glas

Three piece asbestos suit is out of the closet (usually reserved for discussions with the wife) and on, awaiting response.

Attachments

• RXleopard.jpg
    RXleopard.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 78

tailspin

After 40 years and 10000 hours of flying, I wear a stopwatch and never have used it. Actually what I want is a watch with a squat switch. I usually remember to start it at teh beginning of a flight, but NEVER remember to hit the damn thing after landing. Too busy doing other things.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry A4s, I respectfully disagree, and as that you please tell me why you think Rolex are the best.

Rolex makes great watches...Are they the finest watches made? No, that tier belongs to the so called haute horology brands like Alain Siberstein, Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Chopard, Franck Mueller, IWC, Jaeger-Le Coultre, Patek Phillipe, and Ulysse Nardin (list from Chronocentric.com).

You know way too much about watches.......;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HercDriver said:
..... Rolex makes great watches, rugged, reliable and proven. .....Classic....are the best because they are so well known? ...then Sony makes the best :sleep_125.... Bose makes the best :sleep_125.... Britney Spears is the best :sleep_125......Hype has made every rapper think that Rolex is the bling of choice :sleep_125..... because everyone says so?
Nope ... those things aren't great, rugged, reliable, or proven ... they're NOT classics. Sony was crap and low-end back-in-the-day. Bose has been good ... not so good ... good again. Britney? Rappers? We won't waste bandwidth talking about them ... all your examples are social trends and here for today ... possibly and/or probably gone tomorrow .... unlike Rolex.

Who says so?? Everyone ??? Who is everyone, anyway ???

I say so ... I don't care what "everyone" or "anyone" says ...
;)

HercDriver said:
Do you think they are the best because you own one and it has been very accurate? ......
Yup ... my GMT has been to hell and back with me .... taken it's share of lickin's ... and keeps on tickin' .... two factory cleanings over the decades .... the SUB was given to me by Trophy Wife for a Christmas present ... she believed it to be more "dressy" (?) than the GMT ... I wear it on those occasions when I wear a wedding ring. :) ... not "everyday" nor working conditions.

HercDriver said:
..... Rolex makes great accurate watches, rugged, reliable and proven. .....Classic.....
You just said it .... great, rugged, reliable, accurate, and proven .... Classic.

Just like some of the best pilots I have known.
:)'

I rest my case....

RX408-NP0.jpg
rolex2.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I say so ... I don't care what "everyone" or "anyone" says ... ;)

This pretty much sums up this entire thread. Opinions are like..well...you know what they are like...

Wear what you like and what reflects who ya are...

Fongabonga

pilot
70.jpg

Gift from my very generous sister a few years ago, she bought it when she was in Hong Kong, much better prices on all the nice stuff there.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Are you sure it's real and not a copy? Hong Kong is famous for forgeries...

Copy or not, if it runs, looks enough like the real thing to impress your (jewelry obsessed) jet-type buddies, and it wasn't too expensive, I say great!

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
By the way, we don't have the "8 day clock" in the Sierra. We've got a dual time-zone digital now. Amazing what you can get for just $20 million these days.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Well I just thought I'd add my 2 cents into this conversation. I'm a long time reader but first time poster so take my advice as you will. I currently am working towards my Navy commission, but my job other than being a student is working at a high end jewelry store. Our store carries both Rolex and Breitling. As far as which is better, it's totally a matter of opinion.

Both watches are completely produced and assembled in Switzerland. All Breitlings are COSC certified (a certification testing the accuracy of the watch) while only about 10-15% of Rolexs are certified. Both have good re-sell values, but Rolex typically keeps a higher re-sell value due to it's brand status. Breitlings typically can be discounted more because Rolex is a heavily price protected brand. As to terms of quality, honestly Rolex's tend to have more problems (lossing time, gaining time) than Breitlings. I base this on the amount of repairs we have to send back to the respective vendors. All this being said, I love both watches, Breitling tends to be a watch that gets more attention due to their larger size. But more people recognize the Rolex brand, so it's a trade-off. So to pick between the two rests totally on a matter of opinion, in the end most people buy for looks. Omega is also a brand that's considered a high quality watch, but I find the X-33 painful to the eyes; but I do love the basic seamaster and speedmaster. Lastly Tag's are considered more of a mid-level watch by the jewelry industry. One of my fellow employee's calls them, "A poor man's Rolex" since many of their designs look like they're heavily based on Rolex's. Not to say that they're not good quality watches, but they don't have the brand status of Breitling, Rolex, and Omega.

As to wearing the watch in the cockpit, although not being a pilot I can't attest to whether its pratical or not. I can say that banging up a high end watch is not that bad of a thought. A stainless steel watch can be repolished and made to look brand new, although this does cost (~$200+). A titanium watch can be repolished I believe, but it's rather pointless as titanium isn't shiny to begin with. But I do remember seeing a show on the Blue Angels on the Military channel and all of them were wearing Breitling Emergency's. Again, since I'm not a pilot I can't really say if it's pratical or not, but I do know that overall the Breitling Emergency has contributed to saving 19 lives to date. While this isn't a huge number, I find it considerable since it's just a watch.

As to Audemars being the highest quality brand of watches, I would disagree. While Audemars are great watches and you'll never see me turn on down, if you base quality on the degree of complications and complexity of the watch, then I'd say your highest quality brands tend to be IWC, Patek Philippe, or Ulysses Nardin. Sorry for the long post, but I thought I'd add my perspective to the issue.