• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waste Management and Trash On Navy Aircraft Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Most of the abyssal plain, I believe, does not support life. The exceptions are spreading centers (anywhere that provides heat). If stuff is weighted (even plastics), I wonder what kind of effect dumping (I'm thinking minimal, but I don't really know about the biology involved) would have at the more barren areas of the deep ocean.

Personally, I'm waiting for the space elevator / rain gun so we can toss all our trash into the sun...

Surprised that nobody has spoken up...

What do you suppose we do with garbage on a submarine?:)

I know that the quantity is nothing like what the surface Navy produces, but it has been going on for years. Quiet and undetected...:icon_wink

tdu_full.jpg

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Surprised that nobody has spoken up...

What do you suppose we do with garbage on a submarine?:)

I know that the quantity is nothing like what the surface Navy produces, but it has been going on for years. Quiet and undetected...:icon_wink

FIRE 1, FIRE 2!!

torpedo-thumb.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I think Ecobitch has been listening to the high priest of Eco-conciousness....

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Most plastic floats. It then gets carried on ocean currents to wash up on shore where we don't want it. Metal and glass sinks to the bottom and is never seen again. I suppose you could just tie a weight to the plastic waste, but plastic is easier to store for recycling than glass and metals. Believe it or not, people have thought about this issue and come up with reasonable policy based on facts, not emotional outbursts.

On the boat, they compress/melt the plastic into manhole cover-sized hockey pucks that weigh about 40 pounds. They sink like stones. Back in the mid/late 90s they were still tossing them overboard (once in international waters); any change to that policy has been in the last 10 years or so.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Nice job, Nick.

Incidentally, does Airwarriors have a "Bull"? Think of the fitrep bullet that could be...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.