• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

War with Iraq Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumn

Kimphil,
I am glad to see you care about the US deficit. I personally would rather pay more in Taxes or whatever and not have to worry about the safety of my family. With a leader like Saddam one generation is going to have to deal with war and the cost of it so who care if it is now or later. Besides, it's not like we are going to payoff the deficit and never be in the negative again, so who cares! Just remember, you can't put a price tag on freedom.

kimphil

In a free market, capitalist society WE ARE ALL POLICY MAKERS. When you vote for someone (or don't vote at all) you are endorsing someone's policy. When you buy products and services, you endorse that company's labor and environmental practices, whether those practices are good or bad.

If you've read my posts, you'd know I don't have a problem with SUVs. It's gas hogs and our government subsidizing them. Detroit and Japan already have SUVs that are safer and get 40-50 miles a gallon on the drawing board. But why bother to build them when (1) government doesn't make automakers do it and (2) the consumer doesn't demand it. Owning an SUV, given all its negatives (especially Middle East oil dependence), when there are clearly alternatives and when the vast majority of drivers have no compelling reason to own one, I believe is irresponsible.

As far as natural Republican arguments, I've got one -- states rights. California recently passed legislation requiring automakers to make SUVs sold there to pollute less. This is being opposed by the automakers (of course) on the grounds that the federal government, not states, should regulate auto emissions (bogus, since Cali has always been ahead of the federal government with its own legislation). The Bush administration has filed a brief to support the auto industry?s position. This is plain and simple hypocrisy.

Of course, this probably shouldn't be unexpected since Bush went to the Supreme Court to overrule Florida's right to run its own election. But hey, we all agree that's been settled so why do others bother to keep BRINGING IT UP.

As far as safety, I worry about it a lot more than you do, and I have a right to. I live in one of those high profile cities that terrorists would love to target. If anyone posting here (outside of the troops going to the Middle East) is likely to be hit with a terrorist NBC attack, it's me. Given what the President has told the American public about how dangerous Saddam is (which is really nothing), I'm willing to take my chances if it prevents American troops and Iraqi civilians from losing their lives.

As far as putting a price on freedom, we can do that. If we want to liberate Iraq (and make autumn feel secure) it will cost from $120 billion to $1.6 trillion (and an unknown number of American and Iraqi lives). Any volunteers are welcome to pay my share.

PS ? I?ve thought a lot about this issue. I?ve come from a beginning posture of supporting a war against Iraq to opposing it at this time. I take this issue seriously. I challenge everyone reading this post to challenge your beliefs (pro or against) with some research and thought. When I read stuff like ?I worry about little Timmy?s safety,? ?it?s the freedom you enjoy to say that? or ?who cares how much it costs? to refute what I believe, then you haven?t done your homework. You need to resort to bromides because you don?t have a logical rationale for your argument to stand on.

Don?t bother with trying to call me out to debate you. If you can?t refute what I say with some rational arguments, I?m going to ignore you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What would Jesus drive?"

Duh. A truck -- Jesus was a carpenter.

autumn

Kimphil- if believing that Saddam is not dangerous makes you sleep better at night then so be it. Who is to say your arguments are rational, that would be a matter of opinion wouldn't it. That is what makes the world go around, people like you who want to argue with everyone and their opinions and us "bromidic" people. Have more fun, you'll live longer! Oh on another note, I have a lot of compassion for Americans and the people of Iraq. I wish we could save every life but that is in a perfect world, which we all know we don't live in. Also I am not the only one who would feel "secure" by removing Saddam otherwise our government wouldn't be entertaining the idea of war.
Now I am done talking about this topic because someone like you will always thrive off of "debating" on another persons opinion. One more thing, you need to learn how to use a ?

farkle84

kimphil, even if you didnt vote for him. its still an act as an officer to show respect and obey orders. i am with jboomer.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Good lord, this thing is starting to sound like some late night drunken college lounge brawl. I don't miss that part of college. Everybodys talking like they know everything. We probably know very very little of the true facts. But when you join the military as an officer, i hope some of you shut up with this hippie crap and accept your orders. Imagine what your Marines would think if they came on a site like this or even just heard their platoon commander of CO talking about how they didn't agree with what their friggin President told them to do. I know i would be just a little pissed, and boy would you have a hard time earning their respect.

Kimphil- are you that guy thats stapling up Pro-Iraq rally signs all over your campus? I was the one going to every damn bus stop and telephone pole ripping them down on mine a few years ago. Maybe you should think about a another line of work.

davidsin

I didn't want join to Corps to debate. I'm joining because I want adventure. I had enough of that debating bs in college
boring_125.gif

If and when I'm on the fleet, I'll have my opinions, but when it comes to orders it's gonna be like Killdaddy said

If he says we go, we go full tilt boogie woogie until he yanks our chain back. Now that sounds like fun-!
smgreen_125.gif
AHahaha...full tilt boogie...gotta love it!

semper fi

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Davidsin- Nothing like a little laughter on the subject. HaHa. Semper Fi.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

O-man

Good on ya, pat1- Ooh Rah.
And what davidson said is stinking right.
Semper Fi, Do or Die, you cant quit and they wont fire you (no matter what you personal little politics are)

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
First of all, following orders and agreeing with them are two different things. Second, my guess is that anyone who has the time to post stuff on this bulletin board is probably a pretty safe distance away from Iraq.

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

davidsin

I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD~BUT THIS HERE TOPIC IS GETTING OLD~ A-LO-RIGHT-A-LAY-OH! A-LEFTY-RIGHT-A-LAY-OH~!

-------------------------
"Brothers and allies, my own beautiful dogs from hell! This next wave will be the day's last. Cinch up your balls, men, for one final surpassing effort. The enemy believes us exhausted and anicipates dispatching us to the underworld beneath his onslaught of fresh, rested troops. What he doesn't know is we're alredy there. We crossed the line hours ago."

Dithyrambos

e5b-wife

Kimphil -
First I will say that I believe in your and everyone's right to their opinions and personal politics. After all that is one of the things my grandfathers, father and husband have fought and are fighting for.
Having said that, WHY do you want to join the Marine Corps? And before you answer remember this: While the good old US of A is a democracy the Marine Corps ain't!!!!! Once you sign up you give up some of your precious freedoms, like freedom of speech, so you can defend it for everyone else who is too lazy or scared to do it themselves! IF you think that isn't true than you better ask those who have already EARNED the title of United States Marine. You can say what you want in your home but other than that you must act as though you agree with everything your Commander and Chief does.
I'm not going to argue over this war with anyone in here, at this point it's like beating a dead horse for that matter it's like beating a live one, that is, pointless. This war will happen whether you or anyone else likes it or not. IF it doesn't happen now it will happen in the future, I promise that you can't stop it. So get over it.
People like you make me sick. Again I ask why do you want to be a Marine? Did you watch too many Tom Cruise flicks? Are you out for the pretty uniforms and the glory that go with them but not really willing to get behind the principles that they stand for?
And for somebody who says people need to do their research before they shoot their mouths off I suggest you do yours. From what I've read in other areas I must ask where in God's name do you get your 411 on the Corps and how do you feel capable to answer questions posted here and tell actual Marines that they're info isn't right?
Honey, you need a big fat reality check and it's coming when you sign your contract. I do apologize for slamming you like this and I wish that I could stop myself but as no one else really laid it on the line for you I thought it was time I did.
I'll tell you now it's best to go into this with your eyes wide open. So take your blinders off and quit spilling all your Democratic drivel all over this board and start acting like a Marine if that is what you truly want to be.
HONOR COMMITTMENT COURAGE
Really ponder those three words and what they mean to Marines before you write anything else. Please, I think that would mean a lot to the Marines here.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
This is starting to degenerate into a pretty useless flame war at the moment. Wait a minute... flame wars... on the internet? This never happens.

In all seriousness, did anyone in this thread ever at any point say that they would ever have any thought of not following orders? Or that they would not be fully behind our troops once they're committed to battle? Does anyone think that nobody on Omaha Beach or Iwo Jima ever said a foul word about FDR? You can be committed to the country and to the Corps, have respect for the Commander in Chief, and be prepared to carry out whatever orders he gives, without voting for him, automatically agreeing with everything he does, and pretending that his sh-t don't stink. This is a goddamn internet discussion board. It's for sounding off your opinion. What a concept.

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

kimphil

Autumn, my punctuation "errors" are actually unrecognized characters produced by my computer. The fact that this is your BEST shot shows how personal and petty my opinion has driven you to become.

E5-B wife, you have no right to question my motivations for being a Marine. You don't know my motivations and considering how immature what you wrote is, it would be a waste of time explaining to you. My father and uncles served just like your family so that doesn't give your opinion more weight than mine. If you don't like my arguments, dispute them. Getting personal when you either haven't read what I've written or can't dispute it without personally insulting me just acts to validate my opinions, not debunk them. Don't like my opinon? I don't care, from what I've read I really doubt you have one of your own.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What would Jesus drive?"

Duh. A truck -- Jesus was a carpenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.