• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vt-5

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
I couldn't quite figure out how to link to a previous post ... I put this (below) up back in June when we were discussing VT-5/T-28's. By the way, Jet Studs CQ'ed in T-2's, not T-28's. When the Navy got a "Basic Jet" syllabus ... i.e., the T-2 ... no T-28 CQ for Jet Studs after the Guppy came onboard. I'm not sure what the program was was prior to the Guppy. All prop and helo Studs continued to CQ on the Lexington with VT-5 and the T-28, however, prior to departure for "Advanced" prop or helo. All in all, not a bad idea .... :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we did the Corpus portion of our Aviation Indoc/USMC summer cruise (the old format for 2/c Middie cruise) we had the opportunity to take a break from PT, sailing, baseball, and marching and go for a ride in the T-28. GREAT STUFF!! I felt just like some SW Pacific WW2 fighter driver in my mind as we rolled over white puffy clouds, dove down to the blue white-capped Gulf, and then flat-hatted across an undeveloped Padre Island. You could do that then .... a man still had to know his limitations, however. I vaguely remember yelling "YAHOOOOOO"!! at the top of my lungs from the sheer exhilaration of the moment to the amusement of my "Instructor".

My next up-close exposure to the "Beast" was at Saufley when I was in VT-1 and learning the finer points of the Teenie-Weenie. VT-5 shared the field and spaces. VT-5 was the CQ squadron for prop guys --- those most recently graduated from VT-2 and VT-3 @ Whiting. Both VT-2/3 had the T-28 and all the guys slated for prop and helo pipeline(s) went that way. Jet Studs went to Meridian for "Basic Jet".

When the prop/helo Studs returned to Saufley for CQ with VT-5 they were "salty" compared to us newbies and know-nothings in the T-34 -- and they knew it and we knew it. No questions were asked -- it was just accepted. We used to watch them taxi out for CQ at Barin Field --- "don't ever go near Barrin" was one of our hard, fast course rules --- it must have been a very scary place :) ... it sure was mysterious to VT-1 STUDs .... something about bouncing and CQ??? Just watching the T-28 STUDs taxi around Saufley gave one a sense of power, importance, and accomplishment! Canopies open, sleeves rolled up, hands casually hanging over the canopy rail. Oh!!! "If only I could do that" we all thought .....

Whenever the T-28 came into the break at Saufley (they did NOT use the T-34 traffic circle!!) they did it @ max speed (?) and snapped it up into nearly a 90 degree AOB break. IMPRESSIVE!!! I used to look up when walking across the ramp and think: "God, I hope I can survive this long enough to do that someday !!"

The T-28 drivers; STUDS all, continued to lord it over us in the flight spaces and areas (they had their own flight (ready) room -- off limits to T-34 STUDS) and expecially in the cafeteria. The T-28 drivers always cut ahead of us in line ... "Got a "Charlie time" --- sorry, can't wait for you guys" ... they unzipped their flight suits down to their waist, wore ball caps (!), and sported Ray-Ban Aviator shades --- NO CRAPPY ISSUE SHADES FOR THEM !!!

They were gods .... they knew it .... and all was right in the world.

Wish I could do it again .... :)

nthamericant28trojan1nd.jpg
vt5patchverver0sc.jpg
bowlexington5hn.jpg

Puts the whole VT-28 ready room caste system to shame. I juwt remember slowly progrssing around the room over to the "salty" intermediate flight planning area that very little flight planning got done but the sodium content would give anyone hihg blood pressure.

I went to Corpus Army Depot to pick up a reworked Cobra years later and stuck ym head in same sh!t going on but they all looked so young and scared as I looked in. Good time, thanks for the story. I wish I could have caught a wire once, I dont want to do it full time I like my ride too muhc but once would have been nice.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
mules83 said:
Im sure somebody didnt know so its still good. I just cant imagine black shoes flying a airplane. :D

Yeah, go figure...a SWO flying a plane. How the hell could that happen?

Either I have no business in that airplane or I need to take that SWO pin off my name badge.

p.s. I don't wear black shoes anymore unless I'm in my blues. No self respecting SWO would brown shoes, and no self respecting aviator would let a SWO get away with it without giving him/her/it (sometimes you just can't tell) at least a little crap.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Road Program said:
Yeah, go figure...a SWO flying a plane. How the hell could that happen?

Either I have no business in that airplane or I need to take that SWO pin off my name badge.
Spoken like a true SWO! <"Golf clap"> ;)

Road Program

None
jboomer said:
Spoken like a true SWO! <"Golf clap"> ;)

GO TO HELL! :icon_wink My desig changed and I'm not a SWO anymore (though now the 1115 is a secondary desig). I still wear the pin, though, to remind me of the pain so I know how good I've got it here.

BlkPny

pilot
Great post, A4s. Really brings back memories. After carrier quals, all the VT-1 and VT-5 instructors would come outside to the ramp to watch "The newest Carrier-qualified pilots in the Navy", as the lead would call, try to land. We would all be so pumped it would take two or three passes just to land a Saufley. Looked like a Chinese flight demo team.
Good times.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
But you still visit and post on Sailor Bob. :eek:
STAB, STAB, LOOK, STAB.

Road - it looks like you can run from your former buddies, but you can't hide. They're coming after you....

Steve - maybe he's trying to enlighten them?

Road Program

None
Steve Wilkins said:
But you still visit and post on Sailor Bob. :eek:

I visit, but don't really post there. I've made a couple in the last month or so, but took a few months off...they piss me off on a regular basis.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BlkPny said:
..... Really brings back memories. After carrier quals, all the VT-1 and VT-5 instructors would come outside to the ramp to watch "The newest Carrier-qualified pilots in the Navy", as the lead would call, try to land. We would all be so pumped it would take two or three passes just to land a Saufley. Looked like a Chinese flight demo team.
Good times.
Absolutely good times ... and welcome aboard. A few more like us on this forum and we'll be runnin' this place !!! Ri-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ight ..... maybe when donkeys fly .... ;) ..... welcome aboard, anyway.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Road Program said:
I visit, but don't really post there. I've made a couple in the last month or so, but took a few months off...they piss me off on a regular basis.
That's kind of funny. You've posted there 6 times just this month so far, the last one only 3 days ago. And you don't really post there? :confused:

Road Program

None
That's it, I'm done with you Steve. Christ, it's easier to cheat on a girlfriend (so I hear...not that I've ever done it), than it is to hide on the internet. Ya caught me. Happy? I'm going to go try to become cooler.

I feel like a bastard-child...one community hates me because I left and the other one watches me out of the corner of their collective eye; afraid I'm going to do something SWOish at any moment.

Allright...I'm going to shut up now. I will not post anything at either site until Friday the 16th of December, 2005. I may come and visit, but no posting.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Road Program said:
I will not post anything at either site until Friday the 16th of December, 2005. I may come and visit, but no posting.
What's the significance of 12/16/05?

Ignore Steve - he's a SWO and can't help acting the way he does. You've bettered yourself and moved beyond that! :D