• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vt-5

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Howdy, I am looking for any and all information / gouge that anyone can give me on VT-5 up at NAS Whiting in Milton. Anything would help;

CO / XO names (PM these only)
What is the environment like? - laid back or not?
What is the general porgression through primary there?

Thanks...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
jamnww said:
Howdy, I am looking for any and all information / gouge that anyone can give me on VT-5 up at NAS Whiting in Milton. Anything would help;

CO / XO names (PM these only)
What is the environment like? - laid back or not?
What is the general porgression through primary there?

Thanks...

VT-5? huh? Are you meaning 2, 3, or 6?

VT-5 used to exist at Saufley I think (back when airplanes were still AT Saufley)

Is this a new squadron at NASWF?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you thinking of Training Wing Five? There is no VT-5 at Whiting. There is VT-2, 3, 6, 8, and 18....last two are helo squadrons.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
ChuckMK23 said:
VT-5 used to exist at Saufley I think (back when airplanes were still AT Saufley)

You are correct. Here are some old pics after a search.

Attachments

• vt5line.jpg
    vt5line.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 61
  • 140528.jpg
    140528.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 63

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
vt5logo_04nov2000.jpg

Yeah. It was out of Saufley. vpnavy.com has lots more.

ChuckMK23

pilot
That was back in the day when EVERYONE CQ'd with the T-28 - Jets, props, & helos! - up until 1970's I think.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
OK I could be wrong, I know hard to believe, and I am asking for information because I couldn't find anything else. I was told that after API I will be going to "VT-5", maybe they misspoke but thought I would ask...

I will check with who told me if I am wrong...

ChuckMK23

pilot
Yeah unless somebody is about to stand up a new command, VT-5 does not exist any more.

Chubby

Most likely they meant Trawing 5. Going to Milton right? That's the wing here. You won't know what squadron you'll be with until you class up.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jamnww said:
I will check with who told me if I am wrong...
Somebody's passing bad gouge and they should be shot on the spot!

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
what's the difference b/t a PPL and an Instrument rating?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
what's the difference b/t a PPL and an Instrument rating?

PPL is a Private Pilots License which pretty much means you can take up people with you that are not for hire

Instrument rating means that you can fly through clouds basically-you have to use the instruments to fly correctly, cant use the horizion

Commercial License means that you can fly for hire (in a buisness, cant start up your own C150 ferry back and forth from random towns)

Yay, 100th post. Look out webmaster, catching up to you

Pags

N/A
pilot
mules83 said:
Whats the difference between a VT and Trawing since there is a Trawing 5 and not a VT 5

A Training Wing is made up of several VTs/HTs. For instance, TW-5, or Trawing 5, or Training Wing 5 is the wing that is in charge of VT 2, 3, and 6 and HT 8 and 18.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In general, you have a particular unit like a ship or aircraft. That unit is part of a squadron. That squadron could be like an aircraft squadron, where there's a CO, or like a destroyer squadron, where you have a commodore. For aviation, each squadron belongs to a Type-wing which is responsible for the administrative control of the aircraft and squadrons. Fighters belong to a FITWING, HS or HSL belong to HSWING or HSLWING. Sometimes there is more than one wing for a specific type. For example, for HSL there's HSLWINGLANT and HSLWINGPAC (and before everyone jumps on me, yes, I know everybody has been renamed, but it's easier this way. Besides I can never remember the order of HEL, MAR, STRIKE, and whatever else they use). These wings are commanded by the "Commadore," which usually is an O-6.

These Type-wings are different from Carrier Air Wings, which take operational control of all the different kinds of aircraft that are part of a CAW. A CAW is run by the CAG, or Commander Air Group.

So, for the training squadrons, you have TRAWING 6, which is all the training aircraft at NASP (VT-4, VT-10, and VT-86). TRAWING 5 is at NASWF, and controls VT-2, 3, 6 and HT-8 and 18. TRAWING 4 is in Corpus, and so on. The exception here is that these wings control different types of aircraft (T-34, T-1, Saberliner, TH-57, T-44, TC-12, etc) w/ in their respective commands.

Hope that helps.

Bah, Pags beat me to it.