• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vt-5

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Hey Mules83, don't you think its odd that someone with 800+ posts would ask a really obvious question like that? Almost like they were making a joke...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
pennst8 said:
Hey Mules83, don't you think its odd that someone with 800+ posts would ask a really obvious question like that? Almost like they were making a joke...

I never know with SWO's, sorry. :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
rare21 said:
Trawing 4 is in Corpus

Dammit! Sorry about that. I got my "D's" and "F's" mixed up. I just know the good old "E" of TRAWING 5.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
PPL is a Private Pilots License which pretty much means you can take up people with you that are not for hire

Instrument rating means that you can fly through clouds basically-you have to use the instruments to fly correctly, cant use the horizion
I got my PPL back in '94. I was trying to show (unsucessfully) the difference b/t the Wing and the VT by using the PPL and Instrument rating as an analogy.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
I got my PPL back in '94. I was trying to show (unsucessfully) the difference b/t the Wing and the VT by using the PPL and Instrument rating as an analogy.

Im sure somebody didnt know so its still good. I just cant imagine black shoes flying a airplane. :D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
Im sure somebody didnt know so its still good. I just cant imagine black shoes flying a airplane. :D
Yes, yes.....I know hard to imagine. Be careful though. You're not an Ensign yet an you don't have orders to Pcola. No orders to Pcola means you're open season for filling a SWO billet. Shall we roll the dice?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I heard a rumor that some admiral changed it to where anybody can wear brown shoes now, because it looks better. Now i know nobody does it because of the hassle they would get. So, if i become a SWO, i'll wear brown shoes anyway so HA! (if its true)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I couldn't quite figure out how to link to a previous post ... I put this (below) up back in June when we were discussing VT-5/T-28's. By the way, Jet Studs CQ'ed in T-2's, not T-28's. When the Navy got a "Basic Jet" syllabus ... i.e., the T-2 ... no T-28 CQ for Jet Studs after the Guppy came onboard. I'm not sure what the program was was prior to the Guppy. All prop and helo Studs continued to CQ on the Lexington with VT-5 and the T-28, however, prior to departure for "Advanced" prop or helo. All in all, not a bad idea .... :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we did the Corpus portion of our Aviation Indoc/USMC summer cruise (the old format for 2/c Middie cruise) we had the opportunity to take a break from PT, sailing, baseball, and marching and go for a ride in the T-28. GREAT STUFF!! I felt just like some SW Pacific WW2 fighter driver in my mind as we rolled over white puffy clouds, dove down to the blue white-capped Gulf, and then flat-hatted across an undeveloped Padre Island. You could do that then .... a man still had to know his limitations, however. I vaguely remember yelling "YAHOOOOOO"!! at the top of my lungs from the sheer exhilaration of the moment to the amusement of my "Instructor".

My next up-close exposure to the "Beast" was at Saufley when I was in VT-1 and learning the finer points of the Teenie-Weenie. VT-5 shared the field and spaces. VT-5 was the CQ squadron for prop guys --- those most recently graduated from VT-2 and VT-3 @ Whiting. Both VT-2/3 had the T-28 and all the guys slated for prop and helo pipeline(s) went that way. Jet Studs went to Meridian for "Basic Jet".

When the prop/helo Studs returned to Saufley for CQ with VT-5 they were "salty" compared to us newbies and know-nothings in the T-34 -- and they knew it and we knew it. No questions were asked -- it was just accepted. We used to watch them taxi out for CQ at Barin Field --- "don't ever go near Barrin" was one of our hard, fast course rules --- it must have been a very scary place :) ... it sure was mysterious to VT-1 STUDs .... something about bouncing and CQ??? Just watching the T-28 STUDs taxi around Saufley gave one a sense of power, importance, and accomplishment! Canopies open, sleeves rolled up, hands casually hanging over the canopy rail. Oh!!! "If only I could do that" we all thought .....

Whenever the T-28 came into the break at Saufley (they did NOT use the T-34 traffic circle!!) they did it @ max speed (?) and snapped it up into nearly a 90 degree AOB break. IMPRESSIVE!!! I used to look up when walking across the ramp and think: "God, I hope I can survive this long enough to do that someday !!"

The T-28 drivers; STUDS all, continued to lord it over us in the flight spaces and areas (they had their own flight (ready) room -- off limits to T-34 STUDS) and expecially in the cafeteria. The T-28 drivers always cut ahead of us in line ... "Got a "Charlie time" --- sorry, can't wait for you guys" ... they unzipped their flight suits down to their waist, wore ball caps (!), and sported Ray-Ban Aviator shades --- NO CRAPPY ISSUE SHADES FOR THEM !!!

They were gods .... they knew it .... and all was right in the world.

Wish I could do it again .... :)

nthamericant28trojan1nd.jpg
vt5patchverver0sc.jpg
bowlexington5hn.jpg

B

Blutonski816

^
Great story a4s... once again, another reason I envy you old-timers...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
These Type-wings are different from Carrier Air Wings, which take operational control of all the different kinds of aircraft that are part of a CAW. A CAW is run by the CAG, or Commander Air Group.

One little note: Carrier Air Wing is abbreviated CVW.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:
I heard a rumor that some admiral changed it to where anybody can wear brown shoes now, because it looks better. Now i know nobody does it because of the hassle they would get. So, if i become a SWO, i'll wear brown shoes anyway so HA! (if its true)

That "some admiral" was the CNO when he approved the change to the uniform regs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HH-60H said:
One little note: Carrier Air Wing is abbreviated CVW.

See, that's what I thought. But when I was over at NASP the other day walking around the Katrina Aid spaces, there were signs that said "CAW-3." Maybe they were made by locals who didn't know the lingo.