• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vt-2

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Straight deck & barrier ... vs. .... angle deck & jets.

That's when ... :)

What do you mean by straight deck and barrier? Do you mean like the one we use today?

cvn-72-barrier.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What do you mean by straight deck and barrier? Do you mean like the one we use today?

cvn-72-barrier.jpg

Looks more like: BARRICADE on angled decks rather than "barrier" on straight decks ...

Here's a "barrier" (look closely across the deck, forward of the island, behind the parked jets) ... and how'd you like to be drivin' that ol' slo-o-o-o-o-ow spool-up engine on this deck ... i.e., USS O-BOAT????

orisk550208banshee.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ I can almost smell the Brewton paper mill through that pic, Cat!
Almost forgot about that. Yeah, that really reeked!!!

I only ever bagged a 1.0 in a T-28 (would have loved more).

My college fraternity pledge son was a T-28 instructor at Whiting. I flew a cross country from NKX to see him. On Sunday, we quietly "borrowed" a T-28 from the flight line. It was a lot different than the F-4 I flew in, and he had great pleasure in watching this jet pilot tangle with the workload and dynamics of a big, T-28. But I loved it, and wish I had the opportunity to fly it a lot more.

whiting1.jpg

(No, not us but same timeframe.)
whiting20001.jpg

gotta_fly

pilot
I'm about to start forms in VT-2 and I've loved pretty much every minute of it so far. I have friends in all three squadrons and it seems like each has stuff they do well and poorly (like anywhere else) but in my biased opinion Doerbirds do it better in general. The only really senior guy I know is the XO but he's awesome to fly with and a great leader. All the instructors are more than willing to help and are generally a very positive group. There isn't really any 'gouge' that you need before classing up/ while in ground school; they'll spoon feed you pretty well until you start flying with your onwing. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions at all.

To the more seasoned gents- thanks for those pictures of the old days! Maybe we can compare notes on the sims, as I'm pretty sure some of my instructors were your instructors as well...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm about to start forms in VT-2 and I've loved pretty much every minute of it so far. I have friends in all three squadrons and it seems like each has stuff they do well and poorly (like anywhere else) but in my biased opinion Doerbirds do it better in general. The only really senior guy I know is the XO but he's awesome to fly with and a great leader. All the instructors are more than willing to help and are generally a very positive group. There isn't really any 'gouge' that you need before classing up/ while in ground school; they'll spoon feed you pretty well until you start flying with your onwing. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions at all.

To the more seasoned gents- thanks for those pictures of the old days! Maybe we can compare notes on the sims, as I'm pretty sure some of my instructors were your instructors as well...

Yeah, studs generally don't know shit.....the Shooters do it right 75% of the time, everytime :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The T-28 was a GREAT fuckin' airplane ... I would have LOVED to have flown it.

The 3 civilians I work with all flew helo's for their career but all flew the T-28 and have nothing but love for it. I hear T-28 stories all the time :)

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Almost forgot about that. Yeah, that really reeked!!!

I only ever bagged a 1.0 in a T-28 (would have loved more).

My college fraternity pledge son was a T-28 instructor at Whiting. I flew a cross country from NKX to see him. On Sunday, we quietly "borrowed" a T-28 from the flight line. It was a lot different than the F-4 I flew in, and he had great pleasure in watching this jet pilot tangle with the workload and dynamics of a big, T-28. But I loved it, and wish I had the opportunity to fly it a lot more.

whiting1.jpg

(No, not us but same timeframe.)
whiting20001.jpg

Are those orange shit-hots or were orange bags the norm in the tracom back in the day?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I classed up in 2 last week, so I obviously don't know much more than you, but I have heard some really good things about the XO from people further down the pipeline. And he definitely made a good impression in his welcome brief to our class.

Is the XO still a Coastie or is he the CO now? If it's who I think it is, he is very good people (and a former Marine, I remember right).

The problem w/ VT-2: all the E-6 mafia that's there now. "There I was doing circles at 30000 feet..." I keed, I keed.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Is the XO still a Coastie or is he the CO now? If it's who I think it is, he is very good people (and a former Marine, I remember right).

The problem w/ VT-2: all the E-6 mafia that's there now. "There I was doing circles at 30000 feet..." I keed, I keed.

The XO is still the Marine turned Coastie that you are thinking of, and as general leaders, pilots, and people go, he is among the best.

As far as the E-6 mafia, we are few in numbers, and yet we run the fucking show wherever we go. I still don't know why that is. It is truly a mysterious and unexplainable phenomena :D

Now if you really want to talk about a Mafia, it would have to be the Marine Phrog Mafia. Once those guys get entrenched in the stan board, it is damn near possible to get anyone else qualified to do anything...but I digress.

Flugelman

Contributor
Yeah ... VT-2 .... just remember to get that rudder pedal ALL THE WAY IN on takeoff roll ... otherwise, you're screwed.

Thanks??? You're welcome ... :)

When I was in Corpus the studs did Primary in the T-28. I was the Ops duty officer (E-8 - E-9's stood the watch nights and weekends due to a shortage of available O's :() when a plowback IP forgot to have his stud set the rudder pedals so he couldn't lock his knee. Studs's first T/O in the Mighty Trojan, right leg all the way out and then some, IP can't overcome to correct and they depart the runway before the IP can get power off. :eek:

Made for an interesting watch...