• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT-10 Instructor NFO's

robav8r

None
Contributor
Was curious if the staff NFO's in VT-10 do any instruction in the air and in what platform. Thanks . . .

robav8r

None
Contributor
I'll assume the T-1 Jayhawk as well? Any gouge you can pass on what the training track is for NFO instructors?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Jayhawk is no longer. I believe it's all done in-house via IUT syllabus. EP sim is done in STL. Ea6bflyr may be able to tell you more.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll assume the T-1 Jayhawk as well? Any gouge you can pass on what the training track is for NFO instructors?

The IUT syllabus starts with a week-long FITC course in the API building. T-39 ground school. Then you will get a FAM-0 which is a pre-flight and a cockpit FAM. Then you will get a FAM-A & B where you get a chance to fly the aircraft on a couple of approaches (by hand and using GEORGE). Then the syllabus is pretty much watch one, do one syllabus event with a STAN instructor and students. You finish the IUT syllabus with an Open & clsed book NATOPS test and a NATOPS check ride. The syllabus is not hard, but it will take about 2+ months to get through. The T-39 is a cross county machine and the contract pilots are awesome; some are better than others. Let me know if you need more info.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jayhawk is no longer. I believe it's all done in-house via IUT syllabus. EP sim is done in STL. Ea6bflyr may be able to tell you more.

Yes the Navy's use of the T-1A Jayhawk is no longer....it's all been changed over to sharing the T-39s with VT-86. You will get the EP sim in STL; it's very easy and it is ungraded.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The IUT syllabus starts with a week-long FITC course in the API building. T-39 ground school. Then you will get a FAM-0 which is a pre-flight and a cockpit FAM. Then you will get a FAM-A & B where you get a chance to fly the aircraft on a couple of approaches (by hand and using GEORGE). Then the syllabus is pretty much watch one, do one syllabus event with a STAN instructor and students. You finish the IUT syllabus with an Open & clsed book NATOPS test and a NATOPS check ride. The syllabus is not hard, but it will take about 2+ months to get through. The T-39 is a cross county machine and the contract pilots are awesome; some are better than others. Let me know if you need more info.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Yes the Navy's use of the T-1A Jayhawk is no longer....it's all been changed over to sharing the T-39s with VT-86. You will get the EP sim in STL; it's very easy and it is ungraded.

-ea6bflyr ;)

I only ask because the bolded excerpts kinda caught my attention. That seems like a VERY light IUT syllabus - is the VT-86 IUT syllabus more robust or do they draw from VFA WSOs for their instructor cadre?

For a SNFO who's headed for E/F-18E/F/G how many events do they fly in the T-39 before heading over to T-45s?

Does

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I only ask because the bolded excerpts kinda caught my attention. That seems like a VERY light IUT syllabus - is the VT-86 IUT syllabus more robust or do they draw from VFA WSOs for their instructor cadre?

For a SNFO who's headed for E/F-18E/F/G how many events do they fly in the T-39 before heading over to T-45s?

Does

VT-10 only flies a couple of AIRNAVs, a couple of Low Levels and a couple of combo AIRNAV/Low levels. All told in Intermediate, students fly 8 flights in the T-39. Most of their flying is in the T-6.

At VT-86, students fly a butt ton of T-39 flights.

All students go through strike; Strike core is composed of 2 AIRNAVs, 3 radar navs, 2 low levels, 3 strikes and 5 composites with the associated ground schools and sims (8 sims).

Strike fighter students get about 8 more air-to-air sims followed by 8 T-39 flights (6 A/A flights and 2 approach hops). After all this they go fly the T-45.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's happening with the T-39 sundown? That still in the works?

Last I heard, they were aiming for 2015, but that is contingent on the arrival of the VMTS T-45 with the fake radar.

My bet is that they will extend the contract a few more years.

-ea6bflyr ;)

magnetfreezer

VT-10 only flies a couple of AIRNAVs, a couple of Low Levels and a couple of combo AIRNAV/Low levels. All told in Intermediate, students fly 8 flights in the T-39. Most of their flying is in the T-6.

At VT-86, students fly a butt ton of T-39 flights.

All students go through strike; Strike core is composed of 2 AIRNAVs, 3 radar navs, 2 low levels, 3 strikes and 5 composites with the associated ground schools and sims (8 sims).

Strike fighter students get about 8 more air-to-air sims followed by 8 T-39 flights (6 A/A flights and 2 approach hops). After all this they go fly the T-45.

-ea6bflyr ;)
No more reattacks for the Strike pipeline?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh yeah, 2 reattack flights with the associated sims. Thanks for the reminder magnetfreezer. How's the BONE treating you?

-ea6bflyr ;)

magnetfreezer

Oh yeah, 2 reattack flights with the associated sims. Thanks for the reminder magnetfreezer. How's the BONE treating you?

-ea6bflyr ;)
Plenty of CAS/orbit time with just enough heavy strike / low level at home to keep things interesting. We have an air-to-air radar now so reattacks are actually relevant for rendezvous. Although given many of the tankers I've seen, Strike Fighter might be more useful :D (uncooperative maneuvering target and all).

FastMover

NFO
None
Just had my shore tour orders pop today. Looks like I'm headed back to Naval Aviation Schools Command as an instructor. Orders say for duty in a flying status involving flying. Anyone been there/currently there know if it's possible that I will be flying with VT-10 while I'm with NASC?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was my shore duty...loved it. Dealing with NETC is a pain in the ass, but that'll mostly be above your paygrade.

There's some politics to being an associate instructor at the VTs. Don't neglect your NASC job, and show up for all the stan meetings, safety stand-downs and such at the squadron. But it's workable if the skipper is cool. I know the current XO/soon to be skipper there now, E-2 NFO, and he's awesome sauce.