• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT-10 Instructor NFO's

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So, not to start another thread, and this one is close enough, what is the flow of the IUT syllabus for T-6 pilot instructors like?

81montedriver

pilot
So, not to start another thread, and this one is close enough, what is the flow of the IUT syllabus for T-6 pilot instructors like?

Also heard this is a career killer for pilots. Can anyone who has done it from the single anchor side expand on their experiences?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Also heard this is a career killer for pilots. Can anyone who has done it from the single anchor side expand on their experiences?

That is pretty community specific. Some communities value VT orders, some do not. You will be competing with a decent sized summary group of LTs, so depending on your community, it may be a great set of orders.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Do you mean IP at an NFO primary or VT's in Milton (my next set of orders)? Can't speak to the former, but the latter is not. The latter is also the best orders my non-instructing ass could wrangle (thank you XO if you are reading this)
Pickle

81montedriver

pilot
Do you mean IP at an NFO primary or VT's in Milton (my next set of orders)? Can't speak to the former, but the latter is not. The latter is also the best orders my non-instructing ass could wrangle (thank you XO if you are reading this)
Pickle

Yes I was referring to being an IP at an NFO primary. Definitely not at the top of my list but I would enjoy Pensacola again and I enjoyed flying the T-6A at Vance.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Uhhhh... odds are that throughout your career it's easier to move from gray aircraft to orange than it is from orange back to gray as career milestones like DH and command screen come along. I think this is one of those things where the exceptions prove the rule. Fair or not, there are a couple good threads, in the private forums, that go into finer "detail." ;)

@Pickle- if you're talking the pilot Primary T-6 IUT syllabus, then it's about 50 flight hours, 25 simulator hours (the sims are very modern and quite good as far as sims go), and associated ground school (classes, courseware, tests). Time-to-train should be about 16 weeks according to the pub but it's 5-ish months in reality (delays due to extraordinarily bad weather lately, aircraft availability/general growing pains for maintenance, and the tail end of the IUT backlog from the T-34 to T-6 transition). It is built around different stages that are a lot like what you might remember from Primary (ie. contact, instruments) but the IUT syllabus is more flexible than the student syllabus (too flexible a student syllabus would lead to helmet wildfires). As long as guys study and show up prepared then the atmosphere is fairly gentlemanly. And yes, a few of the aircraft really do have that new car smell.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Pretty much the same thing in the eyes of BUPERS. Both flying orders, competing with a similar number of O-3s. It just depends on how your community views VT billets. It makes zero difference if you are training pilots or not.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
That is pretty community specific. Some communities value VT orders, some do not. You will be competing with a decent sized summary group of LTs, so depending on your community, it may be a great set of orders.

On my side of the hallway they are sending almost all of us to the Milton VTs. In fact, every one of us but the evaluator. There's enough of you guys (former VT O-4s) around as DHs to make me think it's not as much of a career killer as I had always been told. I've got verbals to 6.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
On my side of the hallway they are sending almost all of us to the Milton VTs. In fact, every one of us but the evaluator. There's enough of you guys (former VT O-4s) around as DHs to make me think it's not as much of a career killer as I had always been told. I've got verbals to 6.

As usual, timing is everything. There were guys that made O-4/DH that were at the VTs when I was, but fast-forward to this last year, and things weren't as rosy (at least on the helo side). It all depends on what your end goal is and how much of a (perceived) gamble you want to take. Personally, I think it's worth it, but I find Kool-Aid a little sweet for my taste, so your mileage may vary.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
At least one has that Hinge IUT vomit smell, too.

(Whose vomit, you ask? We'll never know...after all, you can't dust for vomit.)

If nothing liquid or solid passed through the plane of the pie hole, then there is no physical evidence and it was just a case of really bad breath... :confused:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Uhhhh... odds are that throughout your career it's easier to move from gray aircraft to orange than it is from orange back to gray as career milestones like DH and command screen come along. I think this is one of those things where the exceptions prove the rule. Fair or not, there are a couple good threads, in the private forums, that go into finer "detail." ;)

@Pickle- if you're talking the pilot Primary T-6 IUT syllabus, then it's about 50 flight hours, 25 simulator hours (the sims are very modern and quite good as far as sims go), and associated ground school (classes, courseware, tests). Time-to-train should be about 16 weeks according to the pub but it's 5-ish months in reality (delays due to extraordinarily bad weather lately, aircraft availability/general growing pains for maintenance, and the tail end of the IUT backlog from the T-34 to T-6 transition). It is built around different stages that are a lot like what you might remember from Primary (ie. contact, instruments) but the IUT syllabus is more flexible than the student syllabus (too flexible a student syllabus would lead to helmet wildfires). As long as guys study and show up prepared then the atmosphere is fairly gentlemanly. And yes, a few of the aircraft really do have that new car smell.
Thanks Jim, exactly what I wanted to know.
Pickle