• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VRC-30 at March AFB

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't imagine Sirkorsky hasn't had this in the works for us. We just balk at the cost when it comes up and short of a Garmin on the glare shield, they've got us over the barrel.

At my last squadron, we took a -60 down to a Garmin installer and he looked over our system. He said it could have integrated a Garmin system (I'm not sure which one but it would have been IFR capable) for the cost of what it would normally cost in the real world. Obviously Navair would have had to have their chop on it, which I'm sure would have increased the budget by at least 3 times.

phrogpilot73

My squadron open purchased a shitload of Garmin GPSMap 696s... With XM Weather. Yup, we're serious about getting to airshows!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My squadron open purchased a shitload of Garmin GPSMap 696s... With XM Weather. Yup, we're serious about getting to airshows!

Same same with my last squadron. At one point, though, we were looking at feasibility of getting something you could file with. The 695 we had in Haiti was clutch...until it broke.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
At my last squadron, we took a -60 down to a Garmin installer and he looked over our system. He said it could have integrated a Garmin system (I'm not sure which one but it would have been IFR capable) for the cost of what it would normally cost in the real world. Obviously Navair would have had to have their chop on it, which I'm sure would have increased the budget by at least 3 times.

In the late 80's and into the 90's Prowlers suffered from an ADI failure with no off flag which is suspected to have been causal to at least 4 jets lost with all hands. NAVAIR did an admirable job getting the EFIS pushed through using a commercial system. I believe it was one being used in a Lear but don't quote me. Alas, it wasn't designed to deal with that much glass and we had lots and lots of overheating problems once we left the nice cool Pac NW. Changing some procedures helped (check the displays then turn them off until t/o, always set to lowest illum, etc) but that didn't always help. Left us in some pickles and though it's no longer a worry I don't recommend trying to shoot a night no-gyro PAR approach to Roosey Roads in the goo. That have no mad skilz.

So, I always keep in mind the useful engineering corollary; You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two.