• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VRC-30 at March AFB

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not me, I left -30 back in June. It's a popular spot for training though. You get some airnav, some good approaches and its pretty quiet.

Did they dork something up?

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Did they dork something up?

No dork ups that I could tell. It was just nice seeing an aircraft from the alma mater flying around my local area. Instead of those big, gray freight trains one normally sees operating around March Field.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, that has never been my experience there. Especially on the arrival/departure.

March is quiet compared to NASNI located next to SAN!

No hate Dirty! Think of it as a segue into more conversation. Believe me, there is no place I would rather be than back @ 30!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
March is quiet compared to NASNI located next to SAN!

I think I'd still agree with jollygreen.....getting into NASNI was never as much of a hassle as shooting practice approaches into KRIV was, though I'm guessing you spent quite a lot more time at North Island than I ever did, so maybe I just went there on good days or something.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It has been years since I went to March but it used to be a PITA do approaches there. Much more so than NASNI.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
All right! I conceded. KRIV is a bear. But it provides good training & approaches that are hard to get @ NASNI. (VOR/GPS)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
All right! I conceded. KRIV is a bear. But it provides good training & approaches that are hard to get @ NASNI. (VOR/GPS)

I just remember going there on one of my early fam flights in the Hornet, and after requesting the hi-tacan with approach, we got switched to tower, and the controller's head immediately exploded. They gave us an altitude restriction and a vector away from the field, and then a whole bunch of confusion ensued as to what our intentions were. Needless to say it was a shitshow, and really got that flight off to a good start. Funny thing is that my friends and I always read off the KRIV notams for like every flight in the RAG (per stan/SOP), which was kind of funny since nobody ever had any intention of ever going there with an emergency or wx divert.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, last time I was there I was a 3p and all I can remember is dodging a shitload of helicopters and firefighting aircraft. On the departure they cleared us to depart on some rediculous fucking DP with arcing and a whole bunch of restrictions. Not a big deal, but kinda sucked getting cleared that on short final to be executed at the completion of the option. Not my favorite place to bounce. I've found KMER to be am awesome spot. Quiet, big runway, the controllers love the traffic, and are quite friendly. Probably a bit too far for folks out of San Dawg.

KBayDog

I'll clarify -VOR approaches, GPS approaches, ILS, etc.

I'll clarify - What the hell are those? Remember, I've been rocking nothing more than a TACAN and a radio for the past several years. ;)

(Phrogpilot is living the good life - he recently got some of those new-fangled ILS thing-a-ma-bobs on his aircraft.)