• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VQ Hinge Charged with Espionage

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
No ones ever accused the boards of picking the best people, just the ones they think have the best paper. Dudes who have zero flaws on paper tend to have some pretty big ones in real life. This is just another example of that, as is every CO/XO/CMC firing you see each month.

Good on them for catching this asshole. You better believe there are more out there like him.

you are corrrect!....NIS needs to get to work.

IRfly

None
And then there's this:

http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...-hearing-unlawful-command-influence/88362208/

My comment is this: when you arrest a guy and hold him without charge for 7 months, and then, as a prosecutor, get to air your side of the story to the press, you sure as hell can make people look guilty. But when it gets in front of a judge, sh!t gets real.

I have no idea whether he's guilty. But his criminal conviction, should it come, should be by evidence in court. (One of the few times I'll say "should" :) )

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...My comment is this: when you arrest a guy and hold him without charge for 7 months, and then, as a prosecutor, get to air your side of the story to the press, you sure as hell can make people look guilty. But when it gets in front of a judge, sh!t gets real.

His long confinement without public charges is a bit unusual, notice I did not say arrest, but the rest seems like pretty typical defense attorney tactics in trying to defend their client. The part about labeling him a spy in public and prejudicing everyone is pretty funny since that happens to pretty much everyone charged with a crime.

The reason I said confinement is that it isn't entirely clear to me what sort of restrictions/confinement they had him under or even if he was formally under arrest during that time.

rotorhead1871

pilot
And then there's this:

http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...-hearing-unlawful-command-influence/88362208/

My comment is this: when you arrest a guy and hold him without charge for 7 months, and then, as a prosecutor, get to air your side of the story to the press, you sure as hell can make people look guilty. But when it gets in front of a judge, sh!t gets real.

I have no idea whether he's guilty. But his criminal conviction, should it come, should be by evidence in court. (One of the few times I'll say "should" :) )

is he dead yet??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"In a strongly written motion, Lt. Cmdr. Edward Lin’s attorneys argue..."

I guess that's like strenuously objecting in court.

His long confinement without public charges is a bit unusual,
Pre-trial confinement starts a 120-day "speedy trial" clock, but is gets pretty fuzzy from a legal standpoint. You don't necessarily have to go to trial in 120 days, just show that reasonable progress toward a trial is ongoing. Most felony cases are going to take more than four months to bring to trial. I don't think the defense counsel will gain much traction with this.

rotorhead1871

pilot
"In a strongly written motion, Lt. Cmdr. Edward Lin’s attorneys argue..."

I guess that's like strenuously objecting in court.

Pre-trial confinement starts a 120-day "speedy trial" clock, but is gets pretty fuzzy from a legal standpoint. You don't necessarily have to go to trial in 120 days, just show that reasonable progress toward a trial is ongoing. Most felony cases are going to take more than four months to bring to trial. I don't think the defense counsel will gain much traction with this.

hopefully he is in irons

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To what end? I love how you law and order folks' ideals completely disintegrate the instant you see a defendant you don't happen to like. Let the due process of law run its course.
Besides which, you can't put a accused commissioned officer in irons.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You don't know pain until you're working in the E ring. That view has a price. :D
E ring has it easy. Green-tinted windows are still windows. Try working in a windowless C ring office with chili stains on the carpet for 4 years. Those 18 months without the peruvian chicken place were abysmal. The Qdoba was a meager consolation when it finally arrived.