• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC VMFAT-101 Syllabus

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
The U-2 Bar Act: hmmm... hard to describe since I'm a part of it.
New guy question from next door....I've heard it's problematic sharing the pattern with you guys but nobody has explained why. Is it something to do with pattern speeds or wake turbulence? Cars on the runway? Or did I just overhear people bitching to bitch? ?‍♂️

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There's Jeremiah Weed in the bar... but everyone agrees it tastes like shit and we reserve it for punishment. But it's tradition. Gotta have it.
Our bar is always open. We don't need rules on when you can come in. If we can fly the mission that we do, we can probably figure out when it's ok to have a beer.
Our Solo Parties are epic. Our annual Homecoming even more so.
With ~1061 guys (including about 10 gals) that have flown the jet in 65+ years, we really relish "The Brotherhood". And it's a very tight community, with a lot of tradition and a ton of pride in what we do. I coordinate our Alumni Association, and it is an honor to be a part of it. I doubt that answers your question completely, but that's the best I can do tonight.

The U-2 is the Land of Misfit Toys. We don't belong in any "category". And that's a great thing.

Honestly, during the time period of joint primary training, the AF cultural infusion is what brought a military aviator worthy bar and some social camaraderie to VT-2, 3, and 6 at NAS WF. Widely reported as a welcome change in culture (but few admit it).

It is a little fascinating that throughout the T-34C joint training days, the AF found the T-34C syllabus lacking and had to instituit its own prep syllabus for the students destined for T-38 land...

to wit:

"Your training at Whiting was not worthless, it was time well spent and just because you went through Primary at Whiting, do not think you are bound to fail. As long as you work hard at Whiting and before you start at Vance, then you will do fine. "

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Honestly, during the time period of joint primary training, the AF cultural infusion is what brought a military aviator worthy bar and some social camaraderie to VT-2, 3, and 6 at NAS WF. Widely reported as a welcome change in culture (but few admit it).

It is a little fascinating that throughout the T-34C joint training days, the AF found the T-34C syllabus lacking and had to instituit its own prep syllabus for the students destined for T-38 land...

to wit:

View attachment 25592

"Your training at Whiting was not worthless, it was time well spent and just because you went through Primary at Whiting, do not think you are bound to fail. As long as you work hard at Whiting and before you start at Vance, then you will do fine. "
I was in VT-3 back in my SNA days. Didn't notice a big difference between my experience and the Naval only squadrons. The T-38 syllabus was there to teach a few USAF specific things that the USN didn't do in primary (and maybe not even in jet advanced). There was an emphasis on AF comms to set those guys up and some from stuff (finger form, maybe form takeoffs, maybe form RIs). It was only a few flights and was more of a good deal / exposure to the AF way so those guys weren't at a disadvantage when they got back to USAF training.

Python

pilot
Contributor

to wit:

View attachment 25592

Interesting. Haven’t heard of that pub. For the others:

taxi1

pilot
If they're looking for ways to cut costs- and TRACOM CQ is one of those- it would make sense that E-2 guys will get their first boat experience in the FRS. It would make sense to send them through the entire multi syllabus if they need more flight time. Maybe even have a selection point for E-2 at wings instead of at the end of primary... (but that's just a guy with no dog in the fight spitballin)
Some more spitballing, from an E2 guy. Not all ideas below are good ones.
  • Make E2s a pipeline sea tour for trad maritime patrol guys who have a few thousand hours already. I started to say "props" but remembered the P8.
  • Do initial CQ after hitting the fleet squadron, before going up for CAPC. You've seen the boat a bunch of times from the right seat by then, have the flight hours under your belt.
  • Do initial CQ in the RAG. Community keeps some "bounce birds" sitting around with lead weights instead of electronics inside to lower wear and tear on the real assets.
  • You could be "Day CQ" only until 2P or CAPC?
  • Add a "virtual LSO" instrument package on the planes that super precisely tracks a pass geometry and flight control movements and gives better feedback allowing for improved coaching for training.
  • Bring back the T28 and CQ like a man

HuggyU2

None
New guy question from next door....I've heard it's problematic sharing the pattern with you guys but nobody has explained why. Is it something to do with pattern speeds or wake turbulence? Cars on the runway? Or did I just overhear people bitching to bitch? ?‍♂️
  1. We don't space out particularly well, and provide a gap for other aircraft to fit in.
  2. We fly our patterns around 90 KIAS.
  3. We get priority in the pattern, and tower finds it easier to just boot out anyone else.
  4. We have to bounce at Beale since the chase car is required, and going to another airfield just won't work out.
  5. With Mather and SMF being so close, you're probably better off there than at Beale.
There's a little more to it, but I don't want to bore everyone to tears.

HuggyU2

None
I was just told that the the F-18 FRS/FTU still teaches formation ("section") landings. Just for the Marine C/D models? Or the E's and F's too?

Python

pilot
Contributor
I was just told that the the F-18 FRS/FTU still teaches formation ("section") landings. Just for the Marine C/D models? Or the E's and F's too?

I did them as a Navy student at VMFAT-101. By them, I mean I did one. Then I left and joined the Navy fleet and never heard of them again.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is that for, being able to drag a section through the goo to a full stop when the break is closed?

HuggyU2

None
Yeah, pretty much.
Also going in to a busy place like LAX, ATC prefers to have 2 sections doing a straight-in, instead of 4 singletons.

There's also a few irregular ops / emergencies where it can be beneficial... like electrical or NAVAID's out with IFR WX.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's also a few irregular ops / emergencies where it can be beneficial... like electrical or NAVAID's out with IFR WX.
Boat squadrons do (or at least did) section approaches to a lead low approach, wing touch-and-go/rejoin, to practice dropping a hurt jet off on the ball in similar.

Can only fit one in the LA at a time, after all. :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, pretty much.
Also going in to a busy place like LAX, ATC prefers to have 2 sections doing a straight-in, instead of 4 singletons.

At the field, we typically will drag -2 inside of 3 miles for a section approach as long as the ceilings at better than ~1200 ft, or radar trail if the conditions warrant. You can always drop your hurt bird off on the ball, then lead can low approach and come around for another pass.

I think I've done a section go 1 time in the Growler (in the RAG), but you typically just do radar trail departure if there's Wx.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Never did a section landing as a rhino guy in the RAG at 106.
I did one at -106 with an IP just to prove that I could do it, and then was told I'd never do one again unless I had a crazy emergency or was an FRS IP. I remember that it was a briefing item and optional do on the syllabus card.