• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC VMFAT-101 Syllabus

Python

pilot
Contributor
Whats the Syllabus like at VMFAT-101? I couldn't find any info on it like the other Marine Corps RAGs.

When I went through (ten years ago) it was pretty much the same as other rags, except in a much better location.
These days I imagine some differences exist, and I know major differences exist regarding CQ.

When I went through (ten years ago) it was pretty much the same as other rags, except in a much better location.
These days I imagine some differences exist, and I know major differences exist regarding CQ.
I'm not a pilot. Just an enthusiast. If you can, please break it down

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You learn to fly the airplane, you learn to drop bombs and shoot the gun in the airplane, you learn to fight against other airplanes in the airplane. They used to learn how to land on the boat in the airplane, but I guess they don't do that anymore.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No more CVW F-18 squadrons in the USMC.

Marine SNAs no longer do T-45 CQ. There might be an exception for guys going F-35C but I don’t think so.
Someone better tell that to VMFA-323, who just came through AWF with CAG-17.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How much longer are they with them, and are they getting any more nuggets?
No idea, but they're certainly a Marine CVW F-18 squadron about to go on cruise. If Marines aren't doing T-45 CQ, how are the Cat I Marine F-35C folks going to get their initial CQ?

SlickAg

pilot
No idea, but they're certainly a Marine CVW F-18 squadron about to go on cruise. If Marines aren't doing T-45 CQ, how are the Cat I Marine F-35C folks going to get their initial CQ?
F-35C is PLM only. The Cat Ones currently CQing at the F-35 FRS are averaging VERY high GPAs and 100% boarding rates. The Marines were looking for faster throughput due to the T-45 issues and decided to axe the boat there.

I’m about to get spooled up again in all of this so I’ll know better in a few weeks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
F-35C is PLM only. The Cat Ones currently CQing at the F-35 FRS are averaging VERY high GPAs and 100% boarding rates. The Marines were looking for faster throughput due to the T-45 issues and decided to axe the boat there.

I’m about to get spooled up again in all of this so I’ll know better in a few weeks.
I know CNATRA is asking itself that same question for its pointy-nosed CAT Is.

Eulenspeigel

I-JET
pilot
Right now the plan (allegedly) is for marine studs that select charlie hornets to do a T-45 CQ post wings. Rumor is that there is only one slot coming up for the rest of the fiscal year but I wouldn't put a ton of stock in that being true.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The Cat Ones currently CQing at the F-35 FRS are averaging VERY high GPAs and 100% boarding rates.

Sounds like F-35 paddles need to talk to their FA-18 buds about how to adjust their eyeball cal for PLM. That ( ) needs to read full.....you know, to inspire competition, or whatever :)

SlickAg

pilot
Sounds like F-35 paddles need to talk to their FA-18 buds about how to adjust their eyeball cal for PLM. That ( ) needs to read full.....you know, to inspire competition, or whatever :)
Paddles has gotten a lot more honest since the bottle bets went away.

Not that it wasn’t 100% honest before, of course. I had a student who was looking VERY good for Ironman once. Just a machine. I mean it makes you sort of a proud papa bear to see a stud do well but still. I think he boltered on his last trap and I smiled so big because I could just picture that pretty bottle sitting on my bar cart.

In all fairness, I also remember having a sort of tweener who wasn’t exactly killing it on day two. I changed a pass of his from day one from a no grade to a fair and he ended up qualling on the number. The wing paddles would sort of review the problem children’s passes before their last couple of traps and he caught my little change, looked at me and said “wasn’t this pass a no grade yesterday?” Now this was pretty commonplace and he had a smile on his face when he said it, but I felt a little sheepish. I ended up flying in his backseat on the way home. I sort of regretted doing it in the end because he tried to beg out of his bottle bets by giving me homemade beer instead. Because he’d just “bought his gf’s engagement ring”. I’ll let the reader decide if his logbook got stamped or not.

BLAB if you’ve made it this far, there may or may not have been some fuzzy math involved, but it went both ways. And a couple of bottles was probably a small price to pay in the end.