• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Yeah, I know this has been beaten to death, but I find lots of the information contradicts itself.
Here's my background: I'm a high school sophomore, 3.95 GPA, Varsity X-Country and Track, bunch of extracurriculars and stuff. I strongly desire to go to USNA and be a jet pilot.
BUT, my uncorrected distant vision is around 20/70 each eye, and with glasses/contacts I correct to 20/15.
Could someone give me the complete lowdown as regards to PRK, LASIK, and vision requirements. Like I said, much of the information I've previously gathered greatly contradicts itself. Thanks for your help!

Rainman

pilot
Hey. .you can read the specifics on the NAMI website (posted here a bunch of times). .but the uncorrected DVA requirements are 20/40 until you pass your API physical (then 20/100).

Just talked with a fellow Marine SNA who got PRK from the military after commissioning and went from 20/70 to 20/12 . .not sure how the route works, cause it didn't apply to me :).

Hope that helps

akamifeldman

Thanks, I'll look for that website. I have also heard something about "diopters," apparently used to measure size of lens or something. Anyway, I had heard about regulations on that being around +5.00 (mine are +3.00). Does anyone know anything about that?
Lastly, I've heard about the "whole person clause." If everything about you and your profile is outstanding except your vision, they'll let you be selected for pilot. Is this true, or just a wannnabe myth?
Again, thanks for the information!

tali264

As for what Rainman was talking about (getting PRK done after commissioning) I also had that question and there is a guy on here (bunk22) who had it done. He is Navy though.

From previous posts gotten from:
Naval Aviator's Forum
Miscellaneous
New Guy

Here are two of his posts:

"Are you active duty navy? I just had the PRK procedure one month ago. I was the first pilot in my squadron to have it done. I went from 20/80 to 20/15 as of two weeks ago. Maybe a little better now. I have an eye appointment tomorrow and maybe I can find out a good site to check out for some good PRK info."

and then I asked some questions and here are his responses:

"The Navy had to do it and I waited for about a month before I had the surgery. As a pilot, the flight requirements are 1000 flt hours total with 500 in type. It wasn't hard to get approval from my skipper but obviously that's going to depend on your particular CO. An optometrist must also sign the request form after a thorough eye exam and only if he determines your eyes qualify for the PRK."

Now again, this is for the Navy, so I'm not sure if the same rules apply for the Marines.

Bushmaster

Hi guys, I found this information on the net for you, it requires Powerpoint though... I hope it helps...

http://search.netscape.com/redir.adp?appname=MS&query=navy%2bvision%2brequirements&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2enavy%2eucla%2eedu%2fidm%2ffiles%2fPRK%5fppoint%5f%28Jan17%2c2002%29%2eppt&datasource=Google&partner=Google&clickedItemRank=7&requestId=cns134027&component=websearch.google.http.tcl&searchType=MS&clickedItemType=MS&brand=NSCP&query=navy%2bvision%2brequirements&view=nscp_portal&channel=nscp_portal&source=NSCPRedirect&invocationType=-

"But those who hope in the LORD, will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31
01e.jpg

akamifeldman

So I can't have PRK done BEFORE physical screening for flight training?
I remember seeing some table with 20/100 being the requirement for jets, 20/200 for props/helos, etc. Is this information acccurate?
Thanks again, guys!
icon_smile.gif

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
If you goto to USNA, they will give you the PRK for free if you meet the requirements (stable vision, limited
stigmatism ...). Plus of you get the surgery through the navy, the waiver process is pretty much automatic.
ghost

jaerose

What if you're going to OCS? Will they give you the surgery, or is that just
for the usna? Also, what's up the the super-wide screens now? Now you
have to scroll laterally just to read a sentence.

JR

akamifeldman

Ghost: You say if I go to USNA, they pay for PRK and its automatic? AWESOME! Sounds super, you've really lit a
jump_125.gif
under me to go there more than ever!
SWEET! Can anyone else corraborate what Ghost says? Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
From what I know of the vision requirements, you don't meet them for Navy pilot. The entry requirements are 20/40 correctable to 20/20. As of right now, you meet the Air Force requirements of 20/70 correctable to 20/20. You are still young though and who knows, the standard may change in five years and everyone will be accepted with PRK. There have been some Naval Academy midshipman having the PRK procedure performed then going to flight school as a pilot. Might be an option.

akamifeldman

Bunk 22: I understand that you're way older than me, and are a naval aviator, but are you positive your information regarding distant vision acuity is correct? I think you may have it backwards, I had thought it was USAF: 20/40 uncorrected DVA, with a waiver up to 20/70, USN: 20/100 uncorrected DVA for jets, 20/200 for props and helos, all correctable to 20/20 or better.
I had thought I got the complete information on that, here's the website:
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm
Again, thanks for your help!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by akamifeldman
Bunk 22: I understand that you're way older than me, and are a naval aviator, but are you positive your information regarding distant vision acuity is correct? I think you may have it backwards, I had thought it was USAF: 20/40 uncorrected DVA, with a waiver up to 20/70, USN: 20/100 uncorrected DVA for jets, 20/200 for props and helos, all correctable to 20/20 or better.
I had thought I got the complete information on that, here's the website:
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm
Again, thanks for your help!

Obviously I'm not a flight surgeon but on that website, unless I missed it, didn't say anything concerning aviator applicants. I will ask my flight surgeon but I still believe the entrance requirements are as I stated. Once winged, I believe the vision requirements on that website apply. Of course I could be off on the Air Force requirements as well. As soon as our Doc shows up to work
icon_smile_wink.gif
, I will ask about the Navy requirements.

akamifeldman

Cool, thanks for your help, Bunk 22!
icon_smile.gif

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there are different DVA requirements to be an aviator applicant different from once you're a pilot?
Again, is it true I could get PRK as a midshipman or cadet at the USNA or USAFA? Getting that while at an academy would make all this information about DVA a moot point.
I really appreciate everyone's help in getting the accurate information.
bouncy_125.gif

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Spoke with my flight surgeon today about this subject. He said the vision requirements for a Navy pilot applicant are 20/40 uncorrected and must be correctable to 20/20. He also said that applicants can have PRK performed prior to entering as long as they are accepted by NAMI as part of the PRK study. You don't have to be a Naval Academy midshipman to be accepted to navy pilot training with PRK.

jaerose

bunk22,

Did he say how you would get accepted for the NAMI study? Is there an application process?
I'm asking as a worse case scenario. Last two check-ups I've had I've been 20/20,
but recently my right eye has been giving me fits.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.