• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Bunk 22: Okay, thanks for the clarification. When is the earliest the Navy will consider someone for PRK? Can a midshipman, while in NROTC or the USNA get it, or must they be commissioned officers first? Can I graduate from an NROTC program or USNA, immediately get PRK from them and go straight into a SNA slot?
Thanks!

tali264

Dan,

This might help you out:

http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/Aviation_study_clarification_msg.txt

Beth

akamifeldman

AWESOME! Beth, this is exactly the information I needed! Thank you, and good luck going into OCS! This
glasses_125.gif
will turn into this
icon_smile.gif
!

akamifeldman

I've dug around the site some more, here's a page of interest:
http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive_surgery_information.htm
From here you access all the PRK info.

akamifeldman

Okay, guys, I've done some more digging around and found that the above mentioned site is the best for Navy PRK info.

Bottom Line: You can have PRK done before your commissioning, assuming you meet all the pre and post-operative requirements, available on the above site. Or, you can have it done at the Navy's expense after commissioning, assuming you make a tough cut. In a nutshell, the old days of pilots needing eagle eyes from birth are over, now "four-eyed
glasses_125.gif
" jocky-geeks like me can make it too!
I am
batman_125.gif

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

krtyxl

FYI - the AF numbers are good. I am AF pilot training at API. NAMI said my vision is 20/40 correctable to 20/20+, and I didn't need a waiver. An AF friend waiting to start API fpr Nav had 20/150, correctable to 20/20, and he got by okay, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.