• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by jaerose
bunk22,

Did he say how you would get accepted for the NAMI study? Is there an application process?
I'm asking as a worse case scenario. Last two check-ups I've had I've been 20/20,
but recently my right eye has been giving me fits.

JR

Unless your eyes go bad quickly (worse than 20/40), I wouldn't worry about it. I could ask how one would go about the process though.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Bunk22: I had a routine eye examination by my optometrist (time for new lenses).
Diopters are now -4.00 and -3.25. About 20/200 uncorrected, but I correct to 20/20.
Whats the deal with getting PRK before my commissioning? Can I get it done soonish, while I'm in college, get a waiver for it and compete for an SNA slot?
Thanks!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by akamifeldman
Bunk22: I had a routine eye examination by my optometrist (time for new lenses).
Diopters are now -4.00 and -3.25. About 20/200 uncorrected, but I correct to 20/20.
Whats the deal with getting PRK before my commissioning? Can I get it done soonish, while I'm in college, get a waiver for it and compete for an SNA slot?
Thanks!

I will check with the Doc, but from what he said, it sounds like you can. You have to agree to be part of the aviation study. I will find out for sure and let you know.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
That'll be great Bunk22. I need to know this information too. I'm in the same boat as akamifeldman.
Thanks for helping us out.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

jaerose

That would be great, Bunk22. I would be interested in knowing how to be
a part of the study so it can be accepted. I have an eye exam tomorrow,
so depending on what the doc finds, I might need to take some action. Yeah,
it feels like they've deteriorated really fast (just the right...still 20/15
in the left). Damn computers!

JR

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My flight surgeon said an applicant can apply when he or she applies to OCS. You will need to get the PRK request form. The form requires and eye exam with the optometrist signature, basically saying your eyes meet the requirements for surgery. I assume you would have to talk to medical when you go for your physical. If you guys need the form ASAP, I can get one, scan it, and email it to you.

jaerose

Okay, what if you're in the BDCP and you're scheduled for OCS on August 2, 2003?
I still have enough time if it's really needed, right? I won't know for sure
what the deal is until tomorrow when I have my eye exam, but my right eye really
worries me. It's been bad lately (halos at night) and I'm just trying to be
prepared for the worst case scenario. Feel free to email me a copy of the form
at jaerose21@hotmail.com and thanks a bunch for all of your help.

JR

tali264

jaerose-

Looks like we're in the same boat. I have been wondering the same thing. My doctor says I have 20/30 but like you said....I just feel it's not going to be there when I go for the physical.

I asked my recruiter about PRK before OCS while being active duty and he of course didn't know anything. He gave me a number to call and I looked the guys name up on the internet and also got his e-mail address. When I e-mailed him, it was actually a different guy, but I assume it's someone with the same position. Anyway, I'm planning on calling him tomorrow to see if he can help or if he knows who I should talk to. It seems like we're in an unusual situation and nobody knows what the answer is. Anyway, let me know if you find out anything and I'll do the same.

Beth

jaerose

It's a deal, Beth. Yeah, having 20/15 in both eyes in high school
and playing baseball lets you get used to 'eagle eyes,' so when they
'deteriorate' to 20/20...which is only the right eye, it bugs me.
But lately, and I don't know why, it's been very bothersome. Stress?
Could be, but I'm being super cautious. I know part of the problem is the computer...since I never had any troubles before I got one.
College is too computer dependent for me, programming and then research on the web. Oh well, I'm sure we'll both work out fine. Are you a future SNA? When are you hitting OCS? I'm SNA and OCS of 02AUG03.

JR

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Bunk 22: Just for clarity, I can have PRK done while in NROTC or USNA, fill out a form and they'll be fine with it? That would be sweet!
Thanks for your continued support!

tali264

JR, I think the computer is killing me too. Yes, I am a future SNA. I was supposed to go to OCS May 31st, but they moved my date back to Oct 4th. So I'll now have the whole summer to do nothing (or get my eyes fixed
icon_smile_wink.gif
) I know what you mean about it suddenly bothering you. I have been BDCP for over 2 years and it's just now that I'm really starting to worry about it. It's odd. Maybe it's just nerves or maybe my eyes really are getting worse. I guess I'll find out in 7 months
williamtell_125.gif

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
hey i have said this before. I started college with 20/20, after all the time on the computer, im now 20/40.

im weening myself off this thing.

jaerose

Yeah, I've been BDCP for two years, too. I'll be maxed out at the 0-1 paygrade after OCS...that'll be nice. I'm getting ready to go to my eye exam, so my fingers are crossed. Maybe I'll be lucky and she'll tell me to quit sleeping on my face, or something like that =)

JR

jaerose

Update, I've got 20/20 vision overall. My left eye is 20/20, but slightly near sighted, while my right eye is 20/25 and slightly farsighted, which means they work against each other and causes my vision to be 'unbalanced.' She said the problems were very slight, which is good, but also why I'm paying so much attention to them. The doc also gave me a contact to wear in the right eye for a while since it's got a shape issue. In a while she's going to give me a hard lens to sleep in, which will act as a retainer and cause the eye to keep the normal shape so I won't need a contact during the day. I'm also going to experiment with natural improvement/therapy. We'll see what happens.

JR

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by akamifeldman
Bunk 22: Just for clarity, I can have PRK done while in NROTC or USNA, fill out a form and they'll be fine with it? That would be sweet!
Thanks for your continued support!

According to my flight surgeon, the Navy has to do it. So you must go through their screening process. If approved, it's done and if it's successful, you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.