• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

View of Officer Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
OCs and respect:

I had very little respect for the OCs in my NROTC unit for the following reasons:

1. For all that prior experience they had built up, they never seemed to use it to mentor or help the MIDN learn anything about leadership.

2. They were not the sharpest in uniform when it came to inspections or drill days, the MIDN were.

3. They did not lead by example.

4. They acted like they deserved respect, but never did anything to earn it, unless being UA is how you earn it.

If you want respect in your NROTC unit and want to stand out from the MIDN then pass on what you have learned in the fleet to the MIDN, and set them up for ultimate success. If you do that, they will realize it and respect you for it. Lead by example and it will be extremely obvious that you are in a much higher status than an E-1. By default a certain amount of respect comes with the title OC, O-1, O-2, etc; but you , especially with your enlisted experience, should know that true respect can only be earned by your ability to lead and inspire your peers as well as your suboordinates.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
OCs and respect:

I had very little respect for the OCs in my NROTC unit for the following reasons:

1. For all that prior experience they had built up, they never seemed to use it to mentor or help the MIDN learn anything about leadership.

2. They were not the sharpest in uniform when it came to inspections or drill days, the MIDN were.

3. They did not lead by example.

4. They acted like they deserved respect, but never did anything to earn it, unless being UA is how you earn it.

If you want respect in your NROTC unit and want to stand out from the MIDN then pass on what you have learned in the fleet to the MIDN, and set them up for ultimate success. If you do that, they will realize it and respect you for it. Lead by example and it will be extremely obvious that you are in a much higher status than an E-1. By default a certain amount of respect comes with the title OC, O-1, O-2, etc; but you , especially with your enlisted experience, should know that true respect can only be earned by your ability to lead and inspire your peers as well as your suboordinates.

It being 5:30 AM again and following my past thread, I wish right now I could beat the hell out of you. Its just my nature, sorry.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Hug it out bitches.

365408.jpg

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
Silly MIDN you.

I think you are missing his point. I think I get where he is going so I will summarize.

1. You were asking for respect because you are an OC (and you should get some, no more and no less than you are due, but some none the less).
2. Instead of responding to his thoughts on the matter, you expressed a desire to strike him (rather funny, I admit).
3. He is a commissioned officer, albeit an ensign.

Thus, while despising midshipman and expecting respect for being an OC you treat a commissioned officer with a lack of respect.

Now expecting to be respected just because you are an ensign, well that's just a special kind of retarded, but how different is that from expecting to be respected just because you are an OC? I think that's the point.

Bottom line, play your part in whatever commissioning system you are in and people will respect you both for who you are and what you have done. Fail to do so and people are likely to loath you regardless of both. Oh yeah, the midshipman don't like being there at 0530 any more than you do so don't act like you are being inconvenienced more than they are. You are earning the same commission, like it or not, but that is the way it is.

And yes, hugging it out sounds like a great idea.:D

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
Wow I'm glad I didn't come in here a while ago or I might be on the bad end of this conversation. I am currently a STA-21 applicant (freaking results will not post) and going for the NFO option. I am currently a Third Class and I agree to the point of being an OC and coming that route of STA-21 you should get more respect and be held in higher regard then an 18-20 MID. I mean I totally agree with the guys talking about the OC's mentoring the MIDs because that's the best way they will learn what the junior level up to E-6's and E-7's think about on a daily basis. I mean I think being enlisted first, if I do get selected, will help me leaps and bounds over the course of my officer career. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone because it seems like my post seem to offend people so if this seems offensive to you then I apologize in advance. Thanks for all the advice from the senior guys and hopefully we can all just get along. hahaha

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
I am currently a Third Class and I agree to the point of being an OC and coming that route of STA-21 you should get more respect and be held in higher regard then an 18-20 MID.

And you will, provided you don't act like a tool. The only guys who don't get the respect are the ones who act like someone pissed in their porridge because they have to play the game just like every other member of the unit. The flip side to receiving more respect and being held in higher regard is being held to a higher standard. Fail to do so and watch all the respect and high regard go right out the window.

I mean I totally agree with the guys talking about the OC's mentoring the MIDs because that's the best way they will learn what the junior level up to E-6's and E-7's think about on a daily basis.

You are absolutely correct. If you are really good at mentoring them they won't even know you are "mentoring" them. By senior year "mentoring" will almost always be accomplished at a bar, because believe it or not, you and that 18-20 year old kid will become good friends and commission together in a few years so don't treat him like a tool.

I mean I think being enlisted first, if I do get selected, will help me leaps and bounds over the course of my officer career.

You are absolutely correct. And I mean I think I will have to thump you if you say I mean again before telling us what it is you mean to say.:D

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I think you are missing his point. I think I get where he is going so I will summarize.

1. You were asking for respect because you are an OC (and you should get some, no more and no less than you are due, but some none the less).
2. Instead of responding to his thoughts on the matter, you expressed a desire to strike him (rather funny, I admit).
3. He is a commissioned officer, albeit an ensign.

Thus, while despising midshipman and expecting respect for being an OC you treat a commissioned officer with a lack of respect.

Now expecting to be respected just because you are an ensign, well that's just a special kind of retarded, but how different is that from expecting to be respected just because you are an OC? I think that's the point.

Bottom line, play your part in whatever commissioning system you are in and people will respect you both for who you are and what you have done. Fail to do so and people are likely to loath you regardless of both. Oh yeah, the midshipman don't like being there at 0530 any more than you do so don't act like you are being inconvenienced more than they are. You are earning the same commission, like it or not, but that is the way it is.

And yes, hugging it out sounds like a great idea.:D

I think you are missing the point. I am NOT the OC that started this topic. I never demanded respect from anyone or asked for it. I only said that the transition from the fleet to the NROTC unit is a little bit different and its sometimes hard to deal with 18-19 year old kids who are so hardcore that they cant see strait. I told the dude I would beat the hell out of him because it was 5:30 in the morning and that I read his generalized concept of all OCS not being anything but shit.

Honestly this is a forum, its internet, and to me the drama that is created here over rank and respect is retarded. If I was a commissioned officer I would for one know when a joke was being said and maybe not jump to a conclusion that the internet is the best source for social truthfulness. I am not going to sit there and check your profiles before I post something that might hurt your feelings. I still have no idea why I even care to reply anymore.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I think you are missing the point. I am NOT the OC that started this topic. I never demanded respect from anyone or asked for it. I only said that the transition from the fleet to the NROTC unit is a little bit different and its sometimes hard to deal with 18-19 year old kids who are so hardcore that they cant see strait. I told the dude I would beat the hell out of him because it was 5:30 in the morning and that I read his generalized concept of all OCS not being anything but shit.

Honestly this is a forum, its internet, and to me the drama that is created here over rank and respect is retarded. If I was a commissioned officer I would for one know when a joke was being said and maybe not jump to a conclusion that the internet is the best source for social truthfulness. I am not going to sit there and check your profiles before I post something that might hurt your feelings. I still have no idea why I even care to reply anymore.

True, but honestly you are still in the Navy, there are senior officers who are on here, and you will be working with a lot of these people in the future. A lot of the time people won't understand your emphasis of a joke through writing on the internet. Just food for thought, and have fun in Idaho cleaning up after the football games.

Status
Not open for further replies.