• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Video of V-22 debut at Farnborough

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Very The CH-53 was looped and barrel rolled with just a Marine Major and a Sikorsky test pilot, the back of it was empty, they were testing the aircraft's capabilities and pushing it to the limit. The video claimed at the end it was amazing accomplishment in comparison to a C-130. I doubt that many other CH-53 pilots other than those two have ever looped or barrel rolled a Ch-53, it is still interesting to note that it could.
They used to rework/rebuild the CH-53s at NAS Pensacola back when I was in AOCS (1983). On there test flights out fo the NARF (NADEP now I think) they used to loop them all the time. I do believe the NARF guys were NTPS grads though. I saw it down quite a few times. Cobras too.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
Same way a CH-46 does? (just a guess).

One tilts back and the other tilts forward. Bingo, yaw.

Didn't know until recently that the entire rotor disk of a helicopter could be tilted independently of the aircraft. That's how the -46 yaw's; one disc tilts port, the other starboard, and you get torque around the yaw axis.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
Plus on top of that, I spoke to both Bob Kress (chief design engineer of F-14 at Grumman) last week as well as RADM Paul Gillchrist re: it. They seem to agree with the assessment. If you want more info, just read the MIR on the Hultgreen crash.

Name drop some more - we're impressed... really.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
..... on top of that, I spoke to both Bob Kress (chief design engineer of F-14 at Grumman) last week as well as RADM Paul Gillchrist re: it. They seem to agree with the assessment. ....
Yeah, I had lunch yesterday with Condoleeza Rice and "Connie" (she told me to call her 'Connie' :)) said basically the same thing.

I told her that to me, "Connie" was a ship. She said she would get that changed, as well.

plc67

pilot
Uh oh, looks like I'm going to have to watch myself in this area also, being as I have a tendency to name drop. e.g. I well remember sitting next to Bob Hoover at a company sponsored dinner and being fascinated by his stories. He couldn't recall my name under torture but I sure remember him. I also had the pleasure of meeting Storey Musgrave at PIT and talking to him about post Challenger NASA. One of my good friends in the Marine Corps, Robert Kiyosaki, is now a best selling author. Scumbag that I am I haven't read his book(s), other than to skim through them at Barnes and Noble and make sure he didn't bad mouth me.
I now know why my FOs roll their eyes when I tell some of my stories. The previous ones are just a drop in the bucket against the number of ones I've used to keep myself amused while doing the head bob so familiar to us night freight dogs. I always thought the other guys reaction was irrational envy.
At least I know why Condi no showed our lunch date.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... At least I know why Condi no showed our lunch date.

Yeah, see ... but there's the difference. You guys and the media only "know" her as "Condi" ... "Connie" is reserved for her special "friends". :)

I love it. :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uh oh, looks like I'm going to have to watch myself in this area also, being as I have a tendency to name drop. e.g. I well remember sitting next to Bob Hoover at a company sponsored dinner and being fascinated by his stories. He couldn't recall my name under torture but I sure remember him. I also had the pleasure of meeting Storey Musgrave at PIT and talking to him about post Challenger NASA. One of my good friends in the Marine Corps, Robert Kiyosaki, is now a best selling author. Scumbag that I am I haven't read his book(s), other than to skim through them at Barnes and Noble and make sure he didn't bad mouth me.
I now know why my FOs roll their eyes when I tell some of my stories. The previous ones are just a drop in the bucket against the number of ones I've used to keep myself amused while doing the head bob so familiar to us night freight dogs. I always thought the other guys reaction was irrational envy.
At least I know why Condi no showed our lunch date.

Hands off Condi/Connie - that goes for both of you. I've had my eye on her for some time and I understand she goes for "younger" types anyway. Of course, we're waiting for her SEC STATE gig to be up before we publicly disclose our mutual love and admiration. You heard it here first. :D

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
Nothing to do with impressing anyone. Anyone who would get somehow "impressed" with that is beyond me. I was just backing up my source for the info on airframe AOA and compressor stalls because PDX hinted that I was just making stuff up, that's all. That was the intent behind it, maybe it didn't come off that way. I'm sorry if came off differently. There is nothing for me to impress anyone with here. The only thing impressive is someone earning their wings of gold, not who you know.

Point is that if you don't have you're not confident enough to defend what you say without ducking and running for the cover of "well, Admiral So and so told me", you look like a tool.

Brett - hate to break it to you, but Condi's got the yellow fever.

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Anyone who thought that video is cool is GAY! I'd rather sit on a bed of nails with "Condi/Connie" sitting on my weak a$$ shoulders than see 7 minutes, 36 seconds of V-22 airshow video!!!!!!!!!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh!

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
JetJunkie said:
Outside points of view can be valuable... look at John Boyd... he was an Air Force dude who TAUGHT the Marines how to employ Maneuver warfare in ground combat without having any ground experience himself. If people dismissed (which they tried numerous times) everything he said just because he was that "Chair Force Puke".... We may not have won Desert Storm. Marine warfighting doctrine of the past 10 or so years came from an outsider "Air Force Puke."

I'm no Boyd, but I think dicussion is a good thing and people can learn from it (myself included).

Do you have a source on that? I'd be interested in reading up on that. I always thought Al Gray (CMC 1987-1991) got the Corps focused on Maneuver Warfare. If you are able to post a link that supports this I'd appreciate it. In the mean time I will google Boyd.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Do you have a source on that? I'd be interested in reading up on that. I always thought Al Gray (CMC 1987-1991) got the Corps focused on Maneuver Warfare. If you are able to post a link that supports this I'd appreciate it. In the mean time I will google Boyd.

Boyd's biography by Robert Coram has it. On the Marine side it was largely initiated by a Col. Michael Wyly, with the authorization of Al Gray.

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
Boyd's biography by Robert Coram has it. On the Marine side it was largely initiated by a Col. Michael Wyly, with the authorization of Al Gray.

I googled Boyd and it mentions how he changed AIR WARFARE, but says nothing of maneuver warfare on the ground. It talks of how great he was with fighter tactics and all, but nothing of Air-Ground integration. Maybe I overlooked it, but I sure didn't see it.