• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Video of V-22 debut at Farnborough

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I googled Boyd and it mentions how he changed AIR WARFARE, but says nothing of maneuver warfare on the ground. It talks of how great he was with fighter tactics and all, but nothing of Air-Ground integration. Maybe I overlooked it, but I sure didn't see it.

It's the OODA loop business. Boyd had two major innovations. First was his E-M theory which codified aerial combat in a very technical way.

The second was a much more abstract theory about decision making. It's the latter that Wyly brought to the Marine Corps
http://www.d-n-i.net/fcs/cowan_proceedings.htm
http://www.d-n-i.net/fcs/boyd_thesis.htm

Lind (who runs the d-n-i website) was also the author of "Maneuver Warfare Handbook", which Wyly wrote an appendix for.

Now, in the 1980's, when Wyly was pushing Maneuver Warfare, his ideas were not popular. Al Gray liked them and implemented them in 2nd MarDiv when he was CO, but even with Al Gray as Commandant, Wyly had a hard time getting his ideas published. After a few nasty confrontations with his CO, including going around the CoC to appeal directly to Al Gray, Wyly made himself enough enemies to result in his getting passed over twice for a star and hence retired.

Odd, because while maneuver warfare seems to have been adopted as Marine doctrine, Lind's Maneuver Warfare is no longer on the Commandant's reading list as it was under Gray. Also, Boyd and his groupies, Lind and Wyly included, were quite an arrogant bunch (Lind and Boyd especially so), so it's not a suprise that they made enemies left and right - hell, his groupies called themselves the "Acolytes". Been curious how Wyly and the whole period is now viewed from within the Marine Corps.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
Book called Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War
Look up a COL by the name of Mike Wylie (sp?). Naval Academy Marine who was prior enlisted. He never made General because of his support for Boyd & Maneuver warfare against the wishes of the establishment of the Corps. (Read: The Marines hated Wyly & Boyd with a passion because they were rocking the boat and challenging the views of those in position of authority; they tried silencing him numerous times with bad FITREPS etc...)

First of all, it's Col. Wyly.

Second of all, let's not buy Boyd's pomp hook line, and sinker. Coram is very clear that while Boyd was brilliant, he was also an arrogant jerkhole, as were many of his groupies. Hell, they called themselves the "acolytes". Walking around convinced that you're right and everybody else is wrong and stupid is a great way to influence people. William Lind, a civilian and one of the "acolytes", who Wyly invited to lecture, responded to an officer who exclaimed "Schwerpunkt, bilgepunkt, it's all the same to me" with "Yes it is. And unfortunately, it will always be that way for you".

Rightly or wrongly, Wyly ended up a black sheep because he broke the rules. While at the Marine Corps University, his superior disagreed with him and rebuffed every effort to push Maneuver Warfare. Wyly several times went around the chain of command to appeal directly to commandant Gray. He pushed too hard, pushed the wrong buttons, and found himself passed over and retired. I think he could have made a bigger impact if he was more political and worked the system from within, but that's just me.

But it's not some conspiracy to silence people based on disagreement. It's because Boyd and his crew were arrogant jerkholes. And while Wyly seemed (from Coram's description, I'm curious to learn more about the guy) to be less condescending, he still pushed too hard with the wrong people.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Yeah, crazy, crazy... stuff. Same group of guys that think the F-22 is a waste of money.

One of their contributors is "Fabius Maximus"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
......an arrogant jerkhole.....Walking around convinced that you're right and everybody else is wrong and stupid ..... he broke the rules....he could have made a bigger impact if he was more political and worked the system from within....

WOW!!! That's just beautiful, Man ... believe me, I can relate ... and it's the probable inscription on my tombstone .... someday. :icon_rast

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Just let it go man, we know the Osprey has had its fair share of problems, just like almost every other military aircraft (F-16, F-14, Harrier, etc.). Quit trying to prove your point to squeeze, I don't think he cares.