• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Very Important Question

E6286

OCC 191 Select
If I am accepted into OCC 190 (fingers crossed) then I would be in Bravo for TBS not Alpha right?. However, I'm willing to bet its probably just as cold and miserable?????

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
E6286 said:
If I am accepted into OCC 190 (fingers crossed) then I would be in Bravo for TBS not Alpha right?.
Unless you're planning on finishing OCS early, you will be in (at the earliest) Bravo Company. ;)

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Well thats what I figured. First I am going to worry about my waivers going through. Then I am going to worry about getting selected. Then graduating. THEN I will concern myself with what TBS class. I just wanted to know if I could count on a paycheck for my then wife......... Thanks all for the replies.

SpeedyJ

SNA, Meridian
Don't sweat it

I can answer your question. I finished OCS December 13th. Did not start TBS until Jan 9th or 10th, whatever. I too am married and received a pay check between OCS and TBS. Also, while I was home I ended up in the hospital for 7 days (had a little accident, no big whoop) and never saw a bill from the hospital. I just gave them my I.D. at the emergency room and the Marine Corps took care of it. So seriously, don't sweat it. Worry about getting through OCS, and enjoy your time off before TBS.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
SpeedyJ said:
I can answer your question. I finished OCS December 13th. Did not start TBS until Jan 9th or 10th, whatever. I too am married and received a pay check between OCS and TBS. Also, while I was home I ended up in the hospital for 7 days (had a little accident, no big whoop) and never saw a bill from the hospital. I just gave them my I.D. at the emergency room and the Marine Corps took care of it. So seriously, don't sweat it. Worry about getting through OCS, and enjoy your time off before TBS.

Did that time at home between Dec 13 and Jan 9 count as leave?

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
You will be checking into The Big Suck during your last day(s) at OCS. That's how it was back in '88 for me. Plus, you should (still) rate medical benefits between OCS and TBS.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Basket Leave

yukon180 said:
Did that time at home between Dec 13 and Jan 9 count as leave?
It's called "Basket Leave" leave that's not charged to your leave balance. Only TBS students rate Basket Leave during Christmas. Once you grad from OCS in December you will be on Basket Leave.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
I don't know about you guys I was OCC 187 and I just graduated from Bravo Company 05-2. I was paid between OCS and TBS. Insurance I'm not so sure about, but it will be in affect by TBS. As for the weather, Bravo Company's the $hit in that regard. The rifle range sucks or at least ours did, but by the time you do your field exercises the weather will be nicer. Plus it won't get too damn hot until the very end when you're almost finished. Oh yeah and the leaves are off the frickin' trees for the bulk of your land nav.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Resurrecting an old thread with a closely related question- If you go on PTAD prior to TBS, are you and your dependents covered by government health insurance while you're on PTAD? I'm looking at going on PTAD for some of the time between taking the bar exam in the summer and reporting to TBS in the fall or winter, and I'd like to know if I can get pediatric care covered for my son (who's due in March) during that time. I did a few minutes of googling on this and didn't have much luck. Thanks in advance for any help.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
just to reiterate what Crowbar said, I commissioned in May (PLC air) and recently moved to Fredericksburg. Until Alpha picks up in Nov, I had to get another job (UPS driver actually) until then. PLCer's commission and typically wait a while to report to TBS. Until then, you are an unemployed Lt. Their not gonna just pay you to sit around and do nothing. Even if you did do PTAD, I believe its only for a maximum of 60 prior to report date at TBS. If your job pays $8/hour, PTAD might sound ok considering you will be paid significantly better. Just from a financial perspective.

Concur. I was PLC, commissioned in May 26, 1999, worked at my OSO for the 60 days prior to TBS, then started TBS in Nov 99. I didn't get paid until I started at my OSO and even then, it was only Base Pay...... no BAS or BAH. I spent June and July bicycling across the country with 3 friends, then August and September I flipped pizzas and cooked cheesesteaks to make some cash. I actually had to lie to the owner of the place so he would hire me. I told him I was in the Marine Corps but didn't tell him I would be quitting in about 5 weeks.

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
Not true

I smell total bum info... If you are OCC you are going active and getting the bars right at graduation. This means that you are in the system and will be getting paid.

You are not paid in until you enter TBS. You will however, have the opportunity to work at your OSO's office for up to 70 days prior to TBS which will allow you to draw an 0-1's pay.

Lucky for me, my OCC-TBS interm is just 3 weeks from 21 Dec to 14 Jan. Prime holiday season, so I could care less about working.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Also, don't think that PTAD with your OSO thing is something you will do often. That's something PFCs and LCpls do so they can get a break from work and go home. Not something held in high regard for officers to do...... Now, if you have first hand experience (i.e. YOU have been commissioned and been through OCS and TBS....NOT 'well I know a guy' or 'my OSO told me' etc etc) with any of this and I messed up part of this, let me know.

I disagree. I have never seen any junior enlisted.....ever......in my OSO station. We had a senior Gunny...and that's it. I think PTAD is very highly recommended for brand new Lt.'s You actually get to contribute a little, and get some exposure to how a part of the Marine Corps works.

I did PTAD between OCS and TBS. I highly recommend it for two reasons...1. You get pay and benefits....I also recieved BAH, BAS. 2. It's the easiest job on the face of the planet.

Crowbar

None
I disagree. I have never seen any junior enlisted.....ever......in my OSO station.

I was referring to Recruiter's Assistance, where enlisted Marines go help out a recruiters for a month. Same thing but with a canvassing recruiter, not an OSO. Generally done when there's a long back up for a school or just to hook somebody up. If somebody had a reason to go and we could live without them, we made an effort to send them. Pre-2001, anyway.

Going PTAD to an OSO right after OCS or while sitting in the pool is one thing. But trying to do it multiple times or just to go back home, I still say at some point you have to cut the cord. It's different to have a LCpl leave the shop for a month and having the OIC out of pocket for a month just so he can take a break.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Going PTAD to an OSO right after OCS or while sitting in the pool is one thing. But trying to do it multiple times or just to go back home, I still say at some point you have to cut the cord. It's different to have a LCpl leave the shop for a month and having the OIC out of pocket for a month just so he can take a break.

Agreed.