• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Very Important Question

E6286

OCC 191 Select
So yesterday I signed my contract for my package and while filling out all the forms my OSO mentioned to me that during the period between OCS and TBS I will NOT be covered by military insurance. To me this is ridiculous. Why wouldn't I be? At that point you are officially a 2nd Lt., it just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, carrying on that line of thinking I got to thinking: Will I be PAID during this period between OCS and TBS? I mean its not like I can just quit paying bills for a month or two. I will have a wife to take care of. I have read about guys taking leave after OCS before TBS, is this paid leave?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Whalebite

It depends on whether you are OCC or PLC, I was OCC and was covered by insurance after OCS and was also paid.

Malice 1

pilot
I'm in PLC. I have an 11 month waiting period between college graduation and TBS entry. I am not getting paid, and I have no insurance through the military. Thankfully my parents are dishonest enough to tell thier insurance provider that I am still a student, so I can remain on thier policy.

PLC worst when it comes to administrative stuff like that. I have had my TBS slot yanked from me several times so someone from OCC could get in sooner.

I think with OCC .. you are immediatly active duty when you are comissioned. Therefore you are paid, and under insurance. Thats the impression my OSO gave to me.. Which also makes your stash time for TBS much less than a PLCer. Just my 2 cents.. PS E6286 whose your OSO? Were both in VA you dont use the Ashland office do you?

PS Malice thats why they yank PLCers spots becuase they have to pay OCCers so they don't wanna stash em long.

Blip

I think with OCC .. you are immediatly active duty when you are comissioned.

I was under the impression we were considered Marine reserve after completing OCS.

Blip

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yeah, okay I was also told that you aren't covered on insurance. Now my other question is are you paid? Nobody seems to be able to answer that and it doesn't make much sense to not get a paycheck during the month or more between OCS and TBS.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
All the Marines i know did not get paid until they actually started TBS, unless they were doing some sort of work beforehand (like IFS).

E6286

OCC 191 Select
That is so ridiculous. I wish I knew that before so I could have started saving. How are you supposed to pay your bills during that month of lag? Can you request to work for your OSO or something after commissioning?

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
E6286 said:
That is so ridiculous. I wish I knew that before so I could have started saving. How are you supposed to pay your bills during that month of lag? Can you request to work for your OSO or something after commissioning?

You may be able to go straight to TBS. The wait between OCC and TBS is usually not more than 2 weeks. That probably wouldn't be enough time to do PTAD with your OSO.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
So during that 2 weeks to a month you don't get paid then? That really sucks. I am glad I found that out so I can plan. It normally wouldn't be a problem but I will be married and we live in Northern Virginia where rent is absurd. My wife won't be able to afford the rent on her own around here. Guess we will be dipping into savings some more.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
PSno23 said:
You may be able to go straight to TBS. The wait between OCC and TBS is usually not more than 2 weeks. That probably wouldn't be enough time to do PTAD with your OSO.
The wait will be at least 3 weeks. If E6286 does OCC 190, he won't graduate until December 16. Looking at TBS's schedule, the next TBS company (Bravo) begins January 9.