• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Very Important Question

E6286

OCC 191 Select
My sentiments exactly. I find it kinda absurd that they would leave a newly commissioned Lt. with a wife to take care of high and dry and unable to make money. I mean its not like I could get a job for 3 wks.

I think there are some navy/marine corps groups.. i forget what they were called that will give you a short term loan to help you out E626.. you should look around.. Yeah my OSO is in ashland ... 30 minute drive for me from Fredericksburg... There seems to be a pretty decent amount of us VA kids on the forum..

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Cool cool. How many guys you have applying for air slots at your office? Have any idea how many slots there are going to be for SNA for the east coast?

I am not worried about it. I will have savings/wedding cash stashed. I just wanted to figure things out to let my fiance know.

SCUBA

I smell total bum info... If you are OCC you are going active and getting the bars right at graduation. This means that you are in the system and will be getting paid.

Tulman737

I think that if you are OCC and you have a long wait for TBS they will just have you help your OSO and you also get paid, but I do not know about the insurance

I concur with you ATR drive thats what my OSO told me.. E6 we have quite a few air candidates... 4-6 I haven't checked on the exact number.. my OSOs a real good guy a Herc Driver .. as for East Coast slots I have no real idea but am not worried about it... I applied for Air and Ground and hopefully the Corps will decide I'm fit for at least one...

Crowbar

None
If you go OCC, expect to go right to TBS unless you work some under the table deal with your OSO. If you don't start training right away expect to be in Mike Company doing some sort of busy work or working in another company's training office. Maybe you'll get to do IFS or the Martial Arts Instructor course. Also, don't think that PTAD with your OSO thing is something you will do often. That's something PFCs and LCpls do so they can get a break from work and go home. Not something held in high regard for officers to do. It was so great at TBS to hear our XO make fun of people who wanted to go PTAD to work for their OSO. Anyway, with OCC, once you get commissioned, you are a Marine officer and rate benefits as such. You get paid, you get insurance, blah blah blah.

PLC is a different story. Don't ask why, I don't know all the policies and laws behind it, but it works the same for NROTC mids. Yes, once you get commissioned you are a Marine officer. However, until you report to TBS you don't get jack. No pay, nothing. I have a friend who has been doing construction work every day for enough money to survive since he got commissioned in May. Won't start TBS until November. It sucks, I don't know all the reasons why it's done that way, but it is.

Now, if you have first hand experience (i.e. YOU have been commissioned and been through OCS and TBS....NOT 'well I know a guy' or 'my OSO told me' etc etc) with any of this and I messed up part of this, let me know.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Thanks Crowbar. I thought my OSO might have just been confusing it with PLC. I did sign a document, however, stating that I understand I will not be insured between OCS and TBS but it just didn't make sense to me. I am going to have to talk to him again to clarify.

klostman

the happy dance!
just to reiterate what Crowbar said, I commissioned in May (PLC air) and recently moved to Fredericksburg. Until Alpha picks up in Nov, I had to get another job (UPS driver actually) until then. PLCer's commission and typically wait a while to report to TBS. Until then, you are an unemployed Lt. Their not gonna just pay you to sit around and do nothing. Even if you did do PTAD, I believe its only for a maximum of 60 prior to report date at TBS. If your job pays $8/hour, PTAD might sound ok considering you will be paid significantly better. Just from a financial perspective.

Thread jack, any other unemployed Lts' in Fredericksburg area waiting for Alpha?

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I will be going OCC so that is what I am looking for gouge on. It seems crowbar hit it for me and that I will be paid.............

Klostman - I'm in fredericksburg waiting for OCC 190 ... I went to Mary Washington College here... I have a buddy whose an lt here waiting for Alpha.. hes just sitting at his sisters house whose a friend of mine doing nothing..

I run down at the battlegrounds everyday, and lift @ the school gym.. you could workout there for free they aren't checkin ids right now.

PS if you havent figured it out yet I can tell you what/where all the good bars are in FXBG .. and theres usually a couple keggers to hit up as well.. especially once the fall hits.

riley

If you are OCC, they will work with you so you don't have a gap in pay/benefits. For 187 we all checked in to Mike Co. - some Marines then took leave and/or PTAD and the others were with Mike Co. until Bravo Company classed up on 10 Jan.

Malice 1

pilot
klostman said:
just to reiterate what Crowbar said, I commissioned in May (PLC air) and recently moved to Fredericksburg. Until Alpha picks up in Nov, I had to get another job (UPS driver actually) until then. PLCer's commission and typically wait a while to report to TBS. Until then, you are an unemployed Lt. Their not gonna just pay you to sit around and do nothing. Even if you did do PTAD, I believe its only for a maximum of 60 prior to report date at TBS. If your job pays $8/hour, PTAD might sound ok considering you will be paid significantly better. Just from a financial perspective.

Thread jack, any other unemployed Lts' in Fredericksburg area waiting for Alpha?

Yeah. I am a a barely employed. I work at a gas station in alexandria. I live in woodbridge. I am supposed to report to TBS on 27 NOV. I don't know what company that is.

I was working for a construction contractor, but they were working me 12-16 hour days everyday. I am naturally a fat man, so my lack of daily PT quickly decreased me from 1st class PFT status. I took a part time job instead to get my PT back up to specs before I report.

ip568

None
If you remain on active duty, you are covered by government insurance. If you go into the Reserves between, you lose all government insurance except for days during which you are acruing drills.