• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance and Jets

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
NavyVance said:
So basically, if thats the way it works, all the Navy kids are getting clobbered by the super qualified marines. Interesting.

Not necessarily, because you're also competing against the other wings. Or at least in Navy land, TW-5 and TW-4 get adjusted against each other to balance it out, and then compete w/ each other.

NavyLonghorn

Well, doesnt matter for my purposes since im already in Advanced, but Id be interested to get a full understanding of how things work out of Vance. Its clear the gouge I have is incomplete, but, I dont know that any of my classmates had a better picture of what was going on... or anyone else I talked to at Vance for that matter.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
This is common knowledge for Marines, but maybe not for everyone. The Marines usually send their folks with a lot of prior flight time to Vance (and the sickos who WANT to go there). I know there is debate about if prior time helps. I can say this: I have never seen someone with a lot of prior time really struggle through flight school.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Mefesto said:
I did... he got through primary with a low 30's NSS, then attrited from Helo land. Had over 500 hours and all the tickets.

4 come to mind. All made it through primary, 2 got helos (one was near suicide, then on suicide watch again after he winged and didn't get the cobra slot that "he deserved") (the other attrited out of helo advanced)

2 were attrited in jet advanced

All 4 had over 500 hours and tickets, come to think of it, I know for a fact that 3 were ERAU grads.

On the other hand, there was a guy Mefesto winged with that I went to primary with: had zero prior hours and absolutely tore up the program.

NavyLonghorn

No.. Airforce dudes drink like fishes. Wouldnt you if you were in the Airforce? They particuarily like this crap called Jerehmiah Weed. Its terrible. Dont ever drink it. Ever.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If you think they drink like fish, wait until you see some squadron admin or better yet the popular Airwing hangout (bar) in port.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Mefesto said:
I know of no one that attrited from Jet land (at least when I was there) that was an ERAU grad. The guy that "deserved" the helo slot wasn't one, I know who you're talking about, the other ERAU guy you mentioned that attrited from Helo's is the guy I was talking about.

As far as whoever winged with me that tore up the program... I don't know who you're talking about cuz none of us "tore it up" and I only winged with a couple of guys.

Let me rephrase, he tore up primary.

The guy who wanted jets-then-Cobras but got Hueys was indeed a ERAU grad.

QuiksilverHg

NavyVance said:
We are talking about dudes that had Notes Warnings and Cautions, word for word, memorised, before they showed up to their first flight.

I am graduating from API on March 10 then going to vance with the navy. Is there any way I can find all of the EP's and things we have to memorize so I can get a jump start. I certainly am not going to worry about it before API is done, but to get a week headstart when I get to Vance would be real nice. I am crazy about trying to get jets and I'd like to do anything I can to help me get there.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If your gonna fly the T-6... wings aviation has the EP flash cards for them. Baseops.net should have some other useful stuff for the T-6 and the T-37.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
HH-60H said:
If you think they drink like fish, wait until you see some squadron admin or better yet the popular Airwing hangout (bar) in port.

The AF has a bar in every squadron and we drink regularly in the flight room. I am surprised there are not more DUIs and alcoholics in the AF. Does the Navy have anything like this? And Yes! STAY AWAY FROM THE WEED! Thank stuff is like drinking gasoline, literally.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
jg5343 said:
The AF has a bar in every squadron and we drink regularly in the flight room. Does the Navy have anything like this?

My old squadron had a bar in the IP ready room- none for the students. Never saw anyone use it- ever. Im pretty sure drinking with IPs inside the squadron spaces was the last thing most us wanted to do at the end of the day... If we saw them out in town we would socialize with them though depending on who they were.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
The AF has a bar in every squadron and we drink regularly in the flight room. I am surprised there are not more DUIs and alcoholics in the AF. Does the Navy have anything like this? And Yes! STAY AWAY FROM THE WEED! Thank stuff is like drinking gasoline, literally.

I've heard of squadrons having a secret stash...it's generally frowned upon, I'd guess due to (a) the whole "no booze onboard, (b) "glamorization of alcohol", thank you DAPA and "the Right Spirit", and (c) the ineviatable and constant DUI checks on base (going on and coming out of the gate).

We had a kegerator in out Wardroom for about a month, until the weenies in our sister squadron (not the Webmaster's, BTW), crybabied to their front office about not having one. Rather that install their own, they demanded the Commodore put ours out of business. But it was a nice, for that month, being able to have a cold one after the work day ended. No one was getting wrecked, who wants to stay at work more than you really have to?

As far as in flight school, I had some great IPs in advanced who suprised me with beers in the debrief more than once. Pretty cool move, IMHO.