• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

topher

pilot
TPS has a nominal commitment of 4 years.

Direct from the NAVADMIN:

"The preferred Unrestricted Line (URL, 13X0) aviators are junior
officers (O-2 or O-3) with detailer-forecasted career timing to complete the
selected TPS program and a 36-month follow-on test tour prior to their
expected Department Head tour..."

Is this what you mean by the 4 year nominal obligation? (1 year at TPS followed by a 36 month test tour) Or is there an actual obligation in addition to or concurrent with your MSR? I know that the 36 month test tour can be shortened to as little as 24 months, but I'm not able to find anything about an additional service obligation beyond MSR.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I don't remember what document lays it out, and I definitely don't remember signing an extra commitment (like I did for DH), but I distinctly recall a 4-yr commitment post graduation, but it runs concurrently with any other requirements (2-yr grad school, DH, etc.)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
If I were in your shoes, I'd get production shore orders (FRS or CNATRA, a SWTI patch will lock you in) so you've got a fallback if it doesn't work out. It's very realistic you don't get either of these programs and have to continue on. For the warfare transition, you need to be junior enough and have a strong enough record to survive 2 years of NOB time in VTJs and the FRS before you get back to the fleet. Friends I've known with strong records who tried half way into their shore tour were too senior, so timing is key. Ideally on your JO fleet tour with high water FITREP and orders in hand or shortly after you get to shore duty.

I did this. Got my EP from my fleet HSC squadron, cut my fleet tour short by 3 months, took orders to the VT's, and applied for a VFA/VAQ warfare transition shortly after getting to my shore tour. With the strong backing of my front office. I was told they wanted someone more junior. 3 years later, an HSM squadron mate picked up VAQ about a year and a half in to his shore tour. So maybe times are changing.

When I was talking to the program manager about how the "board" works, he told me it's not so much a board in the traditional sense. He described it more as a conversation between the respective community managers. First they ask your community if they will let you go. If they say no, then the process is over for you. If they say sure, they go to the gaining community with all the "released" applicants and ask if they want any of them. At that point they would look at who (if anyone) they believe could make a successful transition to their community (read junior), and if they want you. I applied during the O-4 bloodbath, so I was told that played in to their hesitance. The program manager emphasized that it's not a "press 100" type of board, there aren't traditional quotas, and they don't even necessarily pick anyone up.

I don't regret the path I took at all. If I'd been picked up I would have loved flying fighters anywhere they would have let me do it. As it turned out, I had by far my favorite tour flying my ass off in the T-6. Then I picked up FTS VR and finally got to be a jet pilot!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
This is my main reason in coming to this forum: anonymity. (Although if my front office is reading this they can probably figure it out.).

We just had a JO leave under 1k hours, not completely qualified and they got the #1 over someone who is going to be here 6 months longer, will leave with over 1200 hours, and will have been fully qual'd for over a year before their PRD... all because the more qualified person "wasn't interested in Weapons School." So needless to say, I have little faith that my front office would be good with my off-path aspirations. I'm trying to play the game and keep my options open without buying too much risk here.

I think you've got your answer. You're not bullshitting if you think FRS is the best career move and you are contemplating a TPS package. Get to your shore tour as a proven performer and if it still interests you, start prepping your TPS and Warfare Transition Package. You never know when your priorities change, you've still got 5 years of contract to finish up, so keeping yourself in the best position you can will keep doors open.

I'll add that I wouldn't discount VTs, we had people pick up Coast Guard, NOAA, FTS, or EPs in large summary groups to play for DH, while building competitive fixed wing hours should you decide your fortunes lie elsewhere.

The paper from your first sea tour really dictates your career trajectory, as it's more about promotability in the eyes of your CO than it is about performance (performance goes to promotability, but it isn't everything). Don't jeopardize that. Keep kicking ass in your JO tour, ask for FRS/VX1 or maybe VTs on your nom package, and keep your cards close to the vest.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...When I was talking to the program manager about how the "board" works, he told me it's not so much a board in the traditional sense. He described it more as a conversation between the respective community managers. First they ask your community if they will let you go. If they say no, then the process is over for you. If they say sure, they go to the gaining community with all the "released" applicants and ask if they want any of them. At that point they would look at who (if anyone) they believe could make a successful transition to their community (read junior), and if they want you.

That is exactly how the transition board was described to be when I went through a long time ago, as with many things timing is key and unfortunately out of your control.