• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

thump

pilot
TPS has a nominal commitment of 4 years. I believe this is part of the application package, should be on the pers TPS board page.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
In short, TPS is a one-of-a-kind experience that is highly regarded post-Navy, but it is difficult to select these days. On average there is 1 Sierra slot per board, and many selectees already have a technical M.S. (on top of #1 EP, all quals, etc.) So, you've GOT to have a backup plan.

If you're at NASNI and want to get lunch, PM me. I'm a dirty hinge at one of the HSM squadrons.

Background: HS-14, nom'd HSCWSP, picked up TPS w/NPS co-op (doesn't exist any more), HX-21 on mostly Romeo programs, + ASE & MTS, defected to HSM.

Not knowing you personally, I'd recommend FRS. HSC-3 has ~50 LT IPs, so they'll be happy to keep endorsing TPS packages, because they don't need you. SWTI = no more TPS applications, because it's also "graduate" flight training. If you don't pickup TPS, FRS will either a) afford you time to work on a Master's/make post-Navy plans, or b) make you competitive for continued promotion/milestone screens if you find a new gung-ho-ness for HSC...and you stay in a gray cockpit. I know steep approaches at IB are boring AF, but you should think long-term.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Python

pilot
Contributor
Can somebody explain what “nom-ing” is? Legitimately don’t know.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Can somebody explain what “nom-ing” is? Legitimately don’t know.
Years ago (before my time), it was decided that helicopter 1st shore billets were not being filled properly (part no quality spread, part good ol boy problems). The nom process combines a JO's highwater, quals, hours, CO rec, and JO desires into a single document. FRS and some other commands get to review said documents for screening, and then placement/detailers put names to billets. This all happens ~5-7 months from PRD.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Really they just added paperwork to do what they always did anyway. (FTR, I don't have a problem with it either way. I just think it's silly to create paperwork to accomplish the same thing in the end.)

PatrolFighter

pilot
.... If you’re looking to make a long career of it, that’s another story.

What does this part of your comment mean?

One of the added complexities of transitioning is the 5 year commitment that you buy after the FRS. If I only had to worry about (potentially) living in Lemoore for 3 years (not including the FRS) I would most definitely preference VFA; but 6 years!? I'll take Whidbey.

If I remember correctly the 60 month commitment is from "wings" but can also be served concurrently with your MSR (from the transition guy at PERS, I have an email somewhere). If I misunderstood that I am adding 5 years on the back end of my MSR then that's just that much more green flight suit I get to wear.

My caution is from watching two fleet JOs ask for off path orders and get FITREP downgraded, plus another person jump up to an unexpected EP because of it, which the CO told everyone directly in an AOM.

Hopefully that makes sense.

A thousand times this. Why is the front office going to "waste" an EP on a dude that is leaving community? They won't.

Python

pilot
Contributor
What does this part of your comment mean?

If I remember correctly the 60 month commitment is from "wings" but can also be served concurrently with your MSR (from the transition guy at PERS, I have an email somewhere). If I misunderstood that I am adding 5 years on the back end of my MSR then that's just that much more green flight suit I get to wear.

A thousand times this. Why is the front office going to "waste" an EP on a dude that is leaving community? They won't.

That part of my comment means that I’d recommend VFA to anybody to do until MSR because flying fighters is worth it. I would not give the same endorsement for a career beyond MSR. In the context of my entire post, I was saying that despite VFA’s problems and people wanting to leave, it’s still worth it to do once in your life. Also, see what @wlawr005 wrote.

topher

pilot
My caution is from watching two fleet JOs ask for off path orders and get FITREP downgraded, plus another person jump up to an unexpected EP because of it, which the CO told everyone directly in an AOM.

This is my main reason in coming to this forum: anonymity. (Although if my front office is reading this they can probably figure it out.).

We just had a JO leave under 1k hours, not completely qualified and they got the #1 over someone who is going to be here 6 months longer, will leave with over 1200 hours, and will have been fully qual'd for over a year before their PRD... all because the more qualified person "wasn't interested in Weapons School." So needless to say, I have little faith that my front office would be good with my off-path aspirations. I'm trying to play the game and keep my options open without buying too much risk here.

Last edited:

PatrolFighter

pilot
My current front office actually gives a shit and cares about dudes. They were supportive of me the whole way. In the end it doesn't matter how much value they think I add, if it is in another community and they can add value to their own. I can however, appreciate your predicament but the risk is that you'll get the dick punch with all the quals and a trillion hours either way so do what you want to do. I say flip a coin and the choice that you hope the coin lands on is usually a good starting point.