• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA vs ROTC vs OCS

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
My experience echos a lot of folks who've already chimed in. Having served with many, many fellow officers from each commissioning source I can honestly say no difference in Officer due to commissioning source. Plenty of Good Men & Women from each commissioning source and each source produces their fair share turds as well. No one has the market cornered on excellence or disfunction.

I will echo HAL's comment that not many of the Academy grads I knew would have done it over. I met a few who would, but most wouldn't. Most were there because it was "free" or Mom & Dad loved the idea of it way more than they did. I have several fellow officers as family members from OCS and ROTC. None of us went Academy. I went to Basketball Camp at the USAFA. All of counselors were very open about the fact they hated it there and were contemplating leaving at the end of their second year.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
I went to Basketball Camp at the USAFA

Meanwhile, for 2017 about 23.2% of all USAF officers were from USAFA, while there were 19.8% CanoeUers in the Navy and 15.7% Westpointers in the Army. Given that USAF unlike the other services has fourth main commissioning flow (through ANG), what is the reason USAFA seems to be the most prestigious of all Service Academies of US of A?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Meanwhile, for 2017 about 23.2% of all USAF officers were from USAFA, while there were 19.8% CanoeUers in the Navy and 15.7% Westpointers in the Army. Given that USAF unlike the other services has fourth main commissioning flow (through ANG), what is the reason USAFA seems to be the most prestigious of all Service Academies of US of A?
Once again you're showing your ignorance.

The AF Academy is no more or no less prestigious than any other academy. Number of officers produced is not an indication of prestige.

The Army National Guard also produces it's own officers like the Air National Guard. But these are not separate commissioning sources. If they are not coming from active duty but are home-grown, they go to OCS to get commissioned. The guys I know that commissioned Air Guard this way went to regular AF OCS. Back when I was in the Army Guard in the early 1980s, some individual states had a state run OCS but this did not allow the Guard officer to go on active duty except with the Guard. To go on active duty with the regular Army they had to have an Army commission along with their Guard commission. It they didn't come from active duty as an officer, they had to go to Army OCS. But that was 40 years ago and had probably changed.