• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA vs ROTC vs OCS

JWL

So, is true that Annapolis graduates tend to have a significant leg up on a naval career compared to officers commissioned via ROTC or OCS?

jointhelocalizer

pilot
I don't get what you mean by significant leg up. When you commission, you are that same no nothing ENS regardless if you came from Annapolis, State U ROTC, or OCS. You also have the same opportunities for command/promotion regardless of your designator (Pilot vs. NFO) or commissioning source.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
In the 1950s Navy, probably.

Nowadays, no, not really in terms of opportunities after commissioning.

A USNA ENS will have a leg up on customs, courtesies, traditions, acronyms, wardroom mannerisms, and the basics of seamanship, but that will even out by the time both make LTJG and be almost indistinguishable if not completely by LT.

JWL

Thanks. I recall reading Eugene Cernan's autbiography (Cernan was the last man to walk on the Moon and was a Naval Aviator commissioned via ROTC) in which he stated that when he was in the navy, only academy grads made flag rank. Of course, I realize that making flag rank is nearly impossible regardless of how one is commissioned. I was simply curious if USNA grads still had the leg up on plum assignments today.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. I recall reading Eugene Cernan's autbiography (Cernan was the last man to walk on the Moon and was a Naval Aviator commissioned via ROTC) in which he stated that when he was in the navy, only academy grads made flag rank. Of course, I realize that making flag rank is nearly impossible regardless of how one is commissioned. I was simply curious if USNA grads still had the leg up on plum assignments today.

That is over 60 year old info, times have changed...a lot.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Have read (somewhere on these forums maybe) that average ENS from USCGA is even better in this. Interestingly how many USCGA graduates get Navy commission annually?

Can't speak for USCGA but the dudes and dudettes coming out of the US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point are by and the large the best mariners I've served with. This is due to the year they spend at sea and the focus on seamanship skills they learn while in school. When they arrive to The Fleet™ they usually have a lot more sea time under their belt than the average ensign and have actually driven ships at sea with smaller crews than does your typical warship.

As a rule of thumb, I know that when I see officers with the mighty sea chicken on their chest they will usually be competent mariners and bridge watchstanders.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I'd wager the number is close enough to 0 to effectively be 0. USCGA produces officers for the USCG and they're in a different agency than the other service academies (DOD vs DHS).

Yeah, as @AllAmerican75 said, I'd say USMMA guys are the best at ship driving from what I've seen. I'm sure USCGA guys are good too - but I think with both schools they either take an engineering track or a "1st Officer" style track (probably not calling it the right thing). Have never been on board with a USCG crew, but have been on board a Merchant Marine ship, and they were true pros (graduates from various Merchant academies to include USMMA).

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Can't speak for USCGA but the dudes and dudettes coming out of the US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point are by and the large the best mariners I've served with. This is due to the year they spend at sea and the focus on seamanship skills they learn while in school. When they arrive to The Fleet™ they usually have a lot more sea time under their belt than the average ensign and have actually driven ships at sea with smaller crews than does your typical warship.

As a rule of thumb, I know that when I see officers with the mighty sea chicken on their chest they will usually be competent mariners and bridge watchstanders.

View attachment 28759
^ this

And, SUNY-Maritime.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Well, old good British-style strugle between Gentlemen and Tarpaulins. Yet USNA guys are Gentlemen trying to be Sailors; while Kings Point and (State) Maritime people getting commission in the Navy are Sailors trying to be Gentlemen:D