• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA "The Waiting Game"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Bypass,

-I think we're somewhere near 200 in our unit! That's fairly large compared to others in the country.
-Typical week: Naval science class MWF, drill on thursdays (that includes wearing the uniform), PT is a bit sketchy right now (currently, only for the people that arent meeting the standards for the PRT, this could change because we are getting a new CO this summer)
-The campus is pretty convenient for everyone in the residence halls, walking to class isn't a problem. As far as off campus NROTC-related activities go, the upperclassmen with cars always provide rides for the freshman. I know I've driven my freshman to get their uniforms drycleaned, or to a function etc.
-A LOT of guys majoring in aviation technology here. That get's broken up into aero tech, management tech, and flight. The mids here are a mix of the 3, but still quite a few in the aero tech program (like my roommate). They seem to enjoy it, they spend a lot of time at the airport though (but that's right up their alley).

Hope that helps you out.

Remember....BIG TEN FOOTBALL......GO BOILERS

cnata001

Now the real fun starts

April first...this is the kicker..within these fifteen days, many of our futures will be decided (by ourselves that is) and many of our lives will change..forever :eek: ...best of luck to everybody and i hope that we are all happy in the end

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
Wow, I love the superman view of the academy. I will tell you what. You will have less time to do all the things you are not doing now as it is. After plebe summer there is no PT program unless you are unsat in the PRT or a fat body. We do have higher standards for the PRT though. Intramurals are a joke, I mean I play a 3 inning softball game twice a week. The only reason I am in good shape is I lift a lot and played rugby till this semester (which is my last). You will spend a lot more time doing BS stuff here. I spend more time dealing with crap than homework a lot of nights. Study hour? not enforced. Its all on you, if you don't do what you need to you get booted plain and simple. As for you all waiting for appointments got some good news for you. They are enlarging the class size starting with the new class coming in, so about 200 or so more people will get in. For all you alumni we are going back to 36 comapnies. Things that get in the way are 2-3 formations a day, regular inspections for everything, drill 2-3 times a week, doing paperwork for those who suck, practice for 2-3 hours a day (even in a club sport like rugby), lectures at night with mandotory meals (leaving like maybe 2 hrs of time to work before midnight), duty all the time so you can't leave on the weekends when you are allowed too, etc. Now don't get me wrong I am glad that I came here and love some things about it. But its all on you here too.

cnata001

Dear Nozeman

:D
NozeMan said:
I took offense to your post because you state several ways that you have become less of an athlete/student since going to a regular college. The fact that you go to a civillian college and participate in NROTC (which is obviously less intense than the atmosphere of USNA) is not an excuse to perform any less. You then go on to say that if you were "made" to PT more and study more at USNA you would be more successful (or it would be "easier" as you put it), I can't say that I understand this mentality. Do you actually need someone to tell you when to do homework and when to PT? I don't know many people here that need to be told when to do those sorts of things, they do them on their own because they know its what they should be doing. You complain in your previous post that youre run is less (whatever that means, I don't know your athletic ability) and that you have become more of a "slacker" (for lack of a better term) in your academics because you go to a civillian school. I have news for you, you have control over all of that. If you don't like how you perform academically now, CHANGE IT. Study, get help or do whatever, but don't blame your situation, because that is an excuse.

As for my situation, I plan on earning my commission via NROTC because it's the fit for me. I haven't "given up" (as you so eloquently put it) on anything.

Noze

It appears to me that you love, absolutely LOVE, to manipulate my words. Now I am wondering where you found to believe that i have given up. Hmmmm, yea given up. BECAUSE OF THE STRICT ENVIRONMENT AT USNA IT IS MY BELIEF THAT CONCENTRATION IN SEVERAL DIFFERENT DISCIPLINES IS EASIER. That is the statement i was making. But then Rotc Notc's like you need to contort everything that i said to make yourself feel better. I am an outstanding mid. Midshipman of the month, outstanding medium PRT, in a batallion of OVER 300. HRNROTC is one of, if not the, largest in the country. Do not EVER tell me that i have given up or that i am a slacker or i will personally come to Purdue so we can have a nice little talk :icon_smil . I have never in my life associated those words with my persona and i do not ever plan on doing so. Have a great navy day Noze :icon_tong :icon_tong :icon_tong :icon_tong :tongue2_1 :icon_wink . P.S. LIGHTEN UP!! YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR PANTIES OUT OF A KNOT!

myoun023

Guys, i dont think that its that big of a deal where we get our commissions from...really, when we get out in the fleet its not gonna matter who did what. I do have to agree with Natty Light here though; being at USNA would be awesome, that is the ultimate experience and a great way to kick off our Naval and or Marine Careers. Being able to work in a purely military environment would enhance so many of the things that we practice once a week in NROTC. As far as physical condition is concerned, i dont think it matters too much...theres gonna be disgusting fat bodies everywhere, but then again i love to run and workout and thats just a hobby. Some aspects of NROTC are better than USNA, you get to be your own boss and it is fun to go out on the weekends to quench some thirsts every now and then. USNA would be the ultimate though, ive wanted to go there since i was maybe five or six years old, ive applied two times, and im gonna keep applying until im too old. In the end it just boils down to where you think you'd be best...but being around some of these JROTC Nazis really does get on ones nerves a lot, eh natty?

cnata001

thank you

myoun23, you are exactly correct...there nozeman! take that one!!!!!!!
ANOther one for you noze man...HRNROTC IS BETTER THAN PURDUE!!! :D

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
cnata,

I think youre the one that needs to relax...originally, you made a few statements about NROTC that I disagreed with and I called you on it. You complained originally that your physical condition may have diminished since going to school (but kudos for the outstanding medium...) and that you cut corners when it comes to academics. I simply stated that your are responsible for those aspects of your life, not some school. The arguement of both my posts was that you have to be responsible for yourself (in this case, school and PT, though I realize PT isn't an issue for you). If you want to learn more in class, then push yourself to, its all on you. I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you, rather I am trying to counter what I percieved as a bash on the NROTC program. I also never accused you of "giving up" on anything, you asked me if I had "given up". So I have no idea why youre so upset about that. And about the slacker comment...isn't a slacker someone who doesn't apply themself and cuts corners and takes shortcuts?? Well perhaps you should read post #10, because I believe that you wrote it. I don't know why that was worth an idle threat...but feel free to drive a long ways to West Lafayette if you feel so inclined(although I doubt that'd be very professional on your part). And don't call me a ROTC Nazi, because I'm a fairly laid back person. I do, however, get irritated when people openly find excuses for things such as performance.grades. It's part of the responsibility that comes with being a Midshipman to NOT make excuses for your actions.

Noze

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
cnata001 said:
myoun23, you are exactly correct...there nozeman! take that one!!!!!!!
ANOther one for you noze man...HRNROTC IS BETTER THAN PURDUE!!! :D

Way to show how an NROTC Midshpman behaves....really says a lot about the program. Good job of setting an example for other who might be joining the program someday.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
well cnata, i'm not trying to take any sides or anything, but i don't think you can say that hr nrotc is better than any other nrotc. I WAS in hrnrotc, and it was alright. the thing that i didn't like about hr nrotc was that they gave me horrible advising, and hence, i'm at a community college now. i can't say bad things about the people there though, because they were all nice- just, horrible, HORRIBLE advising.

myoun023

haha, i think that you guys have taken this too far...its friday and im sure its been a long and arduous week or we wouldnt be so edgy. Nozeman, hows the nightlife at Purdue? Enishi...i wouldn't say that the advising is that bad. Our officers are a great group, anyone of them is willing to talk to you about anything and everything thats waiting for you out in the fleet. I think that you have to know what to listen to and what to filter out...you're in control of your prospective naval career, not the advisor.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Haha, the nightlife at Purdue...I guess its what you make of it! I'm just anxious for football season....So hows the East Coast social atmosphere? The Midwest hasn't change much...still just cornfields

cnata001

Nozeman

okay nozeman, lets end this petty bs..you were very correct in the last post the you made...and by the way enishi, i think i know who you are. By chance did you happen to live with a man with the initials WJ for your first semester at ODU?...and by the way, HRNROTC just came back from a 3rd place finish at the Villanova MEC, (didnt see Purdue there..) :D J/K NOZE!!!!!!

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
Yeah and we took first, so you shouldn't have even showed up. Not that it matters since those are the kids that everyone laughs at, just like in high school.

big

USNA Class of 2008
I'm waiting and this is my second time around as well, but I'm not too hopeful. I prefer to go but if I don't, it won't bug me. Main reason why I'd like to go is obviously the experience, but also because I can get alot out of their nuclear engineering program(I'm in Nevada, our colleges don't offer that major). I dunno what's gonna happen so I've been planning against me getting in, hence why I've been looking at NUPOC and other ways to get in(we also have no NROTC here in Nevada). I gotta 4 year NROTC schlarship to MIT, but didn't get accepted to MIT and couldn't get a deferment, so that shot down that path. There are plenty of opportunities though, so I'm optimistic about the whole thing.

Real question is if I don't get in this year will I bother applying a third time :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.