• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA "The Waiting Game"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnata001

Who else is playing the waiting game with me???...This is my second time around and it is more frustrating than ever! Does anybody have any ideas of when they will be sending out acceptance/rejection letters. Whether they send them out in waves by the thousand every thursday or whether it is completely random.. I am aware of the April 15th deadline but this is just insane. :icon_rage

Respond please!!

From,

An anxious NROTC 4/C MIDN who is playing this game for the 2nd time!
Patient waiting everybody! :icon_mi_1

H20man

Drill baby drill!
i too am playing the waiting game, except for the USMMA. i dont know about the Navy but USMMA is supposed to notify you of status by April 10th cause the app deadline is march 7th, ive had my app in since november, so im hoping for a birthday present on the 26th of this month.... or hopefully sooner.

i hope that you get your acceptance as soon as possilbe for i hate waiting too. i have a little quote for waiting "Waiting is the longest game you will ever play."

Integer

Banned
I am :)

Good luck to you on your nomination (assuming you got it!) I am playing the waiting game as well.. a fun waiting game, though. I am trying to continue to improve my fitness for it as if I'm definitely gonna be accepted, and I think the waiting is the best part!

Sure, we could all have a 4.0 GPA, state recognition in 12 fields, be fit already from playing sports all of our lives, etc., but what would the fun be in that, right? :icon_wink Just based on that, OF COURSE every college would want you, whether or not they care about you. :eek:

For me, since I'm not perfect :( , I've still found that it is fun to stand out in your own way, and not be 100% perfect. That way, admissions takes you because they have analyzed you in depth, considering how successfully you overcome hardship in life into account, and not because "we better take him/her before another college steals them."

Of course, I do respect the 4.0 students. In fact, it is my own goal to have a 3.8-4.0 at the Academy. But I guess that my point is that, in my situation, it's fun waiting, from where I stand.

Hey, I think user BYPASS is waiting with us, as well.

Who knows, maybe the Academy has a record-breaking 20,000 applicants or something, wouldn't that be great! :)

~Integer

BYPASS

You're right Integer! I'm with nomination and waiting also. FYI- I don't know how true this is, but I heard that the number of applicants this year was 15,000. Look at it this way, out of the total number of applicants, we have made it so far as to be within the top third. So, consider yourselves fortunate to have accomplished so much already. Sure, we'll be upset if we don't make it, but we keep going.

cnata001- Where in VA are you? Just curious. I was accepted to VMI and waiting to hear from Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. Do you not like the NROTC unit you're in?

keithga1983

Good luck to you guys! Let me know how it turns out, maybe I'll see you up there in July. I was lucky and found out a few days after the december board that I got accepted. Go Navy!

Oh yeah. If applied after early to mid December, your application is probably going to the 2nd admissions board. There are only 2 admissions boards where the final results are decided. Mid to late March is the 2nd one. Good Luck (even though luck has nothing to do with it :) )

BYPASS

Admission Boards

Keith-
I had all my application in by August and my interview was in Sept. From what you've said, it sounds like my app has already been in front of the board (whenever that was). Do you think they just wait and send all the rejection letters out at the same time?

Integer

Banned
From what I heard from an admissions officer, everybody can expect an answer by April 15th. So, it sounds like everybody keeps calling in. :)

cnata001

Here we go again

BYPASS said:
You're right Integer! I'm with nomination and waiting also. FYI- I don't know how true this is, but I heard that the number of applicants this year was 15,000. Look at it this way, out of the total number of applicants, we have made it so far as to be within the top third. So, consider yourselves fortunate to have accomplished so much already. Sure, we'll be upset if we don't make it, but we keep going.

cnata001- Where in VA are you? Just curious. I was accepted to VMI and waiting to hear from Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. Do you not like the NROTC unit you're in?

BYPASS, I go to Old Dominion University (Norfolk, VA) which is in the Hampton Roads NROTC Unit. Do not get me wrong, the unit is great. Our access is great and I am having such a fun time down here. I have desired the academy since the beginning of high school. The problem is that this waiting process is really getting at me. I am seeing Deja Vu of last year when i did not recieve my appointment. As the days go by, I feel that I am leaning more and more toward NROTC. When I first came down here from New Jersey, I was convinced that the second my acceptance came in the mail, I would immediately sign and send. Now, I have realized that if I do get an appt., I will have a HUGE decision to make. I used to think of this as a building year in NROTC. But after being in Echo Company (all 4/C mids must be in for their first year) I am starting to think that it is really really going to suck to have to do this beginning year over again. But then , on the other side of the fence I think a/b how much in want USNA. I am a huge fan of a sound body and a sound mind. At college there are so many distractions. My running skills have greatly decreased since i have been here, and i also know that i could be learning more in my classes if I only applied myself more. I find myself cutting corners and taking shortcuts too often. Is anybody else feeling the way i do or in the same situation. Once again, this going to be a huge decision.

R,
A 4/C NROTC Mid who is getting sick of the system :tongue2_1

cnata001

The official countdown has begun...15days left!

cnata001 said:
BYPASS, I go to Old Dominion University (Norfolk, VA) which is in the Hampton Roads NROTC Unit. Do not get me wrong, the unit is great. Our access is great and I am having such a fun time down here. I have desired the academy since the beginning of high school. The problem is that this waiting process is really getting at me. I am seeing Deja Vu of last year when i did not recieve my appointment. As the days go by, I feel that I am leaning more and more toward NROTC. When I first came down here from New Jersey, I was convinced that the second my acceptance came in the mail, I would immediately sign and send. Now, I have realized that if I do get an appt., I will have a HUGE decision to make. I used to think of this as a building year in NROTC. But after being in Echo Company (all 4/C mids must be in for their first year) I am starting to think that it is really really going to suck to have to do this beginning year over again. But then , on the other side of the fence I think a/b how much in want USNA. I am a huge fan of a sound body and a sound mind. At college there are so many distractions. My running skills have greatly decreased since i have been here, and i also know that i could be learning more in my classes if I only applied myself more. I find myself cutting corners and taking shortcuts too often. Is anybody else feeling the way i do or in the same situation. Once again, this going to be a huge decision.

R,

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
cnata001 said:

R,

You know, when you say "healthy body, healthy mind", that is YOUR responsibility. In case its not clear, it is your job to minimize the college distractions in your life, whatever they may be. And as far as your running/PT goes, its not NROTC's fault that its decreased. And cutting corners.. its your responsibility to go to class and do what youre supposed to do, not anyone else's, the unit can't do everything for you. If youre complaining about not learning enough, then study, or do whatever, but don't blame the college or program. I don't mean to sounds like a b*tch about all of this. But, being a midshipman myself, I am a little offended to hear this from one of my cohorts. I am in the same boat as you (and have many friends in it as well), and we manage to keep ourselves in shape, have a healthy lifestyle, and keep on top of our academics because we put in a lot of effort. It's all about taking responsibility for yourself. I suggest that you do the same.

I don't want to sound like I'm tearing into you, but it sounds like your counting on the Naval Academy to put the discipline into your life that NROTC maybe has not. Well, NROTC is about discipline too, in academics and in lifestyle. Just a few lessons I've learned thus far in my experience.

Noze

cnata001

okay Noze...

you are correct in many of the things that you have stated. Maybe you misread my post or i did not express myself clearly enough. The point that I was trying to make is that all of these tasks would be much easier at the USNA. Everything is so enforced. You PT hard, there are intramural time periods, mandatory study hours. Big brother is watching over you. You DID misunderstand me. And why are you feeling offended. You should not. Lets see, my run time has decreased because I am training to be a military officer here, i am not training to run 5K races like in highschool XC. That is a given. So what is your situation, are you applying to USNA or have you given up...?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I took offense to your post because you state several ways that you have become less of an athlete/student since going to a regular college. The fact that you go to a civillian college and participate in NROTC (which is obviously less intense than the atmosphere of USNA) is not an excuse to perform any less. You then go on to say that if you were "made" to PT more and study more at USNA you would be more successful (or it would be "easier" as you put it), I can't say that I understand this mentality. Do you actually need someone to tell you when to do homework and when to PT? I don't know many people here that need to be told when to do those sorts of things, they do them on their own because they know its what they should be doing. You complain in your previous post that youre run is less (whatever that means, I don't know your athletic ability) and that you have become more of a "slacker" (for lack of a better term) in your academics because you go to a civillian school. I have news for you, you have control over all of that. If you don't like how you perform academically now, CHANGE IT. Study, get help or do whatever, but don't blame your situation, because that is an excuse.

As for my situation, I plan on earning my commission via NROTC because it's the fit for me. I haven't "given up" (as you so eloquently put it) on anything.

Noze

BYPASS

NozeMan-How many are in the unit there at Purdue? I've got to make a decision by this weekend and I'm still a little uncertain about going to Purdue because of the distance from home. Can you give me some details regarding a typical week? Also, I won't have a car (looks like we're not allowed one anyway), so how close is everything? I don't even know if Purdue was still on my list of top 3 schools on my NROTC scholarship app since I changed it several times. Sure would be nice to know if I have the scholarship. Also, didn't you tell me there were quite a few guys in NROTC that are majoring in aerospace technology? Are they enjoying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.