• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Usna Or Nrotc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerrLURP

My point was that if you can get into USNA, then you can get into a MUCH better engineering program than what Purdue has to offer.

I do keep up to date with the top engineering programs, and prior to transferring out, I attended a school that had a top 5 engineering program in the country. Actually #2 according to US News.

And it pisses me off when people compare the Academies to a 2nd tier school like Purdue, or speak of them like they are nothing special. That undermines all the sacrifice and hardwork of all the cadets/midshipmen and it essentially implies that they are all wasting their time putting up with all the Academy BS, when they'll supposedly end up just like their counterparts at Central State U.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
I am a senior. And there are as many ROTC guys giving a bad name to officers too. And no matter what we will always be in the top for dead sober schools.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
For the Academy guys....RELAX

I never bashed your school in ANY of my previous posts on this thread. I only talked about my experiences in NROTC. For some reason, you guys got wrapped up in this when HerrLURP pointed out that I "chose NROTC over the Academy". I'm not even going to explain that whole thing again. I'm in NROTC because I want to be, and so are most of the other mids in the program. If youre a mid at the academy, or aspire to be, then good for you and its a helluva goal. If you want to get all bent out of shape because someone doesn't want to go to the academy because they want to go to a different school, then go right ahead.

And as far as all the sacrifice you guys go though...you chose to be there. It's not that I don't think USNA is anything special, its that I don't care to go there...big deal. I know that you guys put up with lots of BS, but no one said you had to go there. And in case you havent realized, a commission is a commission, regardless of what school you came from. An academy grad gets the same bars as an NROTC grad. I'm going to keep on enjoying my NROTC experience and look forward to getting my commission in 2 years.

Noze

IT'S D-LUX..SON

HerrLURP said:
My point was that if you can get into USNA, then you can get into a MUCH better engineering program than what Purdue has to offer.

I do keep up to date with the top engineering programs, and prior to transferring out, I attended a school that had a top 5 engineering program in the country. Actually #2 according to US News.

And it pisses me off when people compare the Academies to a 2nd tier school like Purdue, or speak of them like they are nothing special. That undermines all the sacrifice and hardwork of all the cadets/midshipmen and it essentially implies that they are all wasting their time putting up with all the Academy BS, when they'll supposedly end up just like their counterparts at Central State U.

Aight bud herrlurp (aka D-BAG),

i wanted to get off on the right foot with ya...first off all i would like you to explain one of your more "D-baggish" comments. It goes as such "that they are all wasting their time putting up with all the Academy BS, when they'll supposedly end up just like their counterparts at Central State U."
How in all your infinite wisdom are the outcomes any different?
i am gonna break it down for you here (baby steps now)...

graduate the academy=O1.....graduate ANY commishining program=O1.
pay of an O1 from the academy equals that of ANY other program.
Flight school for the academy grad...same as that of any other program.

so far i don't see the advantage...DO YOU?! :confused:

being from another program, and pissin off an academy mid who takes life to seriously because he is so programmed not to think for himself, and having the same life as you who will be from the academy=PRICELESS.

and about the boilers being a second tier school...son just pick up a US NEWS and world report...(that is if it fits into your allotted time for reading what you want,,i think that may have to be in your bed with your flashlight. while i on the other hand am reading it right now in my room with a tv, a fridge, a microwave, stereo, women, BASICALLY ANY DAMN THING I WANT.

YOUR NEW PAL,

D-LUX

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I couldn't have put it better myself

NozeMan said:
And as far as all the sacrifice you guys go though...you chose to be there. It's not that I don't think USNA is anything special, its that I don't care to go there...big deal. I know that you guys put up with lots of BS, but no one said you had to go there. And in case you havent realized, a commission is a commission, regardless of what school you came from. An academy grad gets the same bars as an NROTC grad. I'm going to keep on enjoying my NROTC experience and look forward to getting my commission in 2 years.

Noze

AMEN BROTHA!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
HerrLURP said:

So you're saying you went to Stanford or Cal, right?

HerrLURP said:
I got my appointment on December 22nd. :)

And by reading this other thread, you're awaiting plebe summer, right?

HerrLURP

IT'S D-LUX..SON said:
graduate the academy=O1.....graduate ANY commishining program=O1.
pay of an O1 from the academy equals that of ANY other program.
Flight school for the academy grad...same as that of any other program.

D-LUX

That's a negative on the plebe. The date I got in was December 22nd. I would rather not mention what civilian University I attended prior to attending the Academy, as I do not wish to speak on behalf of its ROTC program which I was a part of.

D-Lux:

Your argument is akin to saying that a Bachelors from Muskogee Community College is the same as a Bachelors from Yale....they're both Bachelors degrees...so therefore both graduates must be the same. Or that going to Med School in Cancun Mexico is the same as going to Johns Hopkin's Medical School. I mean come on, why would anyone be stupid enough to pay $35,000 a year to go to an Ivy League, when they could just pay $2,000 a year and get the "same" BA at a community college...right?

Once you actually start using your head instead of babbling incoherent nonsense about something you know nothing about, you'll realize that the issue is obviously much more complex than the degree or commission. It has to do with the overall undergraduate experience, the set of values and principles you gain while in school, the camraderie and sense of duty and honor which is unparalleled at any civilian college. Simple fact is that there are simply a lot more opportunities for professional growth and mentorship at an Academy than at an ROTC program. This is a result of more experienced cadre, a tremendously larger budget, and an overall higher quality of students that attend Academies than ROTC leads to a more competitive and squared away atmosphere. Academies SET YOU UP for success. In an ROTC program, you often have to find it on your own, and the overall result is that many fail to do so and become subpar officers.

It is no surprise that Colin Powell (an ROTC graduate) recently described the Academies as the places where the professional standards are set...the bedrock that all other commissioning sources looks to for direction.

And I'm glad to see that with all your free time and refridgerators, that your institute of higher learning has taught you to use proper grammar. But then I guess writing clearly and legibly isn't a required skill of military officers? And watch who you're calling, "son." I'm probably older than you are.

IT'S D-LUX..SON

aight herrlurp...

first of if you feel that grammer on a sight such as this is extremely necesary stop being a picky *****. this isn't a dissertation, Champ. and maybe it hasn't occured to you that an officer is not just what is on paper and in a structured environment, it is also their leadership skills. speaking of camraderie and sense of duty...how dare you say it is soo much more at the "academy". Maybe you should take a trip down to a little place called Officer Candidate School, Quantico, VA. you want true camraderie and sense of duty go meet the candidates who are from ROTC, PLC, and OCC. i've been there sport, and i am going back. Talk to a graduate of that and you will find true comraderie and sense of duty. if you have read colin powells biography he says that the ones from the academy need to take it down a notch and relax. I am not one to quote a chair force officer on anything but have you heard of a man named Chuck Horner? he was head of air ops in the Gulf War and he is ROTC from Iowa and he proclaims that ROTC produces a WELL-ROUNDED individuall, much more than ANY of the academies. So next time you are being told how and what to do everyday, i will be making those decisions for myself and managed MY OWN time and learned SELF-discipline/responsibility.

later buddy,

D-LUX

HerrLURP

So what you're saying is that you're part of neither an Academy or ROTC? Then why are you even opening your mouth! This is NOT an OCS discussion thread. Have you ever stepped foot on an Academy before? Until you have, you have no idea how jacked up some ROTC detachments are. It's a case where the ROTC guys simply don't know any better to know how messed up they are...not their fault, it's just that more often than not ROTC is staffed by shoddy cadre and lacks the proper funding, budget, and time necessary to truly educate their people. I am not exaggerating when I say the average plebe at USNA knew twice as much than any of the seniors in my old ROTC detachment.

p.s. I was in ROTC for 2 years. It was a joke.

p.p.s. You're going to be a great leader when you're required to write one of many reports for your boss, but your grammar is so messed up that he can't read your handwriting. Just tell him that it's not a "dissertation" and he'll understand. :icon_mi_6

Pags

N/A
pilot
Damn dude, calm down. Aren't there other things you should be doing instead of writing inflammatory posts all day? I mean, Jesus, it is Friday. Go drink some beer and put your feet up.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HerrLURP, the purpose of this forum isn't to slam everyone who hasn't lived in Bancroft Hall and tell them how great the Academy is and how crappy their schools are in comparison. As for "shoddy" ROTC cadre, some of them are members of this forum, so feel free to remove the foot from your mouth on that score. You've got a right to be proud of going to the Academy, but if you don't adjust your attitude now, someone in the fleet will be doing it for you and you won't enjoy it.

I'm not going to sit here and belabor the point because it's Friday and my golf clubs are calling. But you're pissing some people off who will be ranking you in the fleet, as well as some who already do. Just some food for thought.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
nittany03 said:
if you don't adjust your attitude now, someone in the fleet will be doing it for you and you won't enjoy it.

There's usually one A-hole in the wardroom, and you (Herrllurp) are a prime candidate. Shape up, or it's gonna be one loooooong sea tour.

HerrLURP

Thisguy said:
There's usually one A-hole in the wardroom, and you (Herrllurp) are a prime candidate. Shape up, or it's gonna be one loooooong sea tour.

Are you blind? Or just biased? Re-read D-Lux's original post and then tell me who's the A-hole here...the one where he called me the D-bag. Yeah, where was your expert commentary on that one? Oh I forgot, you were too busy telling me how much my comments were pissing you off. You are in for a looooooong sea tour if you're going to get pissed off everytime someone offers up a contrary opinion to yours.

I think it's you who really needs to calm down and relax.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
HerrLURP said:
Are you blind? Or just biased? Re-read D-Lux's original post and then tell me who's the A-hole here...the one where he called me the D-bag. Yeah, where was your expert commentary on that one? Oh I forgot, you were too busy telling me how much my comments were pissing you off. You are in for a looooooong sea tour if you're going to get pissed off everytime someone offers up a contrary opinion to yours.

I think it's you who really needs to calm down and relax.

I'm already on a sea tour, and have already made a cruise, where are you? Oh that's right, still in school. I'm not biased, I've just seen a couple of guys in the fleet who think they're superior than the other guy simply because they went to the academy. That sounds a lot like you. The reason your comments pissed me off is because I've met guys with your attitude in the fleet, not because your opinion was different than mine. I'm not trashing the academy, nor am I biased against it (there are a lot of cool guys in my squadron from the academy). I read D-Lux's post, and while calling you a D-bag may have been over the top, he's was trying to drive home the point that an Ensign is an Ensign. Period. If you're someone who wants to wave your degree around, the civilian sector is the place to do that. A Harvard MBA will get a much better job than a guy from Appalachian State Business school. The guy who graduates at the top of his class at the academy has the same job opportunities as the guy who went to a state school and got his commission through OCS (which you probably think is inferior).

If you don't adjust your attitude after you get commissioned like Nittany03 said, someone will do it for you. Better take care of that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.