• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Usna Or Nrotc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYPASS

I'm torn right now trying to decide which way to go. I'm also waiting to see if I receive an appointment because obviously there would be no decision to make as far as the 2 are concerned. I was just wondering what you guys think and appreciate any input you can give. I do know a little about the USNA because I went to the summer seminar last year and really enjoyed it, but I guess I'm afraid I'll be missing out on those fun college years if I do go to the NA. There are a few of my friends that look forward to the partying, but I'm not concerned with that. It's really about dating and going to see a movie if I want to, etc.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know too much about the Academy, but if you want the "college life" and the commission, go NROTC. Don't feel like you're getting shortchanged professionally either. I did Penn State NROTC, met some damn fine officers along the way, and I'd put my commission up against an Academy guy's any day of the week. And that's no knock on them, either.

Plus, if you go to a big school like I did, you can get exposed to a whole range of different people that you'd never meet in a purely military environment. For example, I took a course in Islamic Civilization and ended up talking for 20 minutes after class about the whole Israeli/Palestinian thing with a guy from Egypt and a Jewish girl with relatives in Israel. Where else in the world could an Arab Muslim, an Israeli-leaning Jew, and an American WASP have that kind of civilized talk without somebody wanting to kill somebody else? I also got to go listen to F.W DeKlerk, the old President of South Africa. And I still got to go to parties and tailgates and football games too.

Anyhow, you should find where you're most comfortable. It sounds like you've got a start on investigating the Academy. See if you can still get in the program where they let you spend a weekend there following a mid around. Find out what they like and hate about the place from the horse's mouth. Then check out whatever ROTC units you're looking at and see if you can talk to some mids there too. Shop around. There's loads of gouge here on the forum, too. The whole ROTC/Academy thing has been rehashed ad nauseum. If you've still got questions, shoot me a PM if you want to talk about the ROTC route. Hopefully some Academy types can fill you in on their side of the house. Best of luck!

nittany

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
BYPASS,

This is what a Navy Officer Recruiter (who was actually an academy grad) told me the day I accepted my NROTC Scholarship: USNA and NROTC grads both get the same commission, it just comes down to what kind of lifestyle you want to live. Like Nittany said, both commissions are exactly the same. Just make sure you pick the school that fits your lifestyle wants/needs the best. I always thought through high school that I wanted to live the 24/7 military life...but then I went to a regular college and did NROTC. I couldn't have made a better choice. Believe me, nothing beats having a great lifestyle and being able to go home or go out whenever (well, almost whenever) I want. Plus, you can't beat BIG TEN football....but thats just my opinion. Good luck in your decision making.

Noze

DairyCreamer

I can name something that beats Big 10 Football... try Big 12 Football! Ha! :icon_tong

~Nate

NozeMan said:
BYPASS,

This is what a Navy Officer Recruiter (who was actually an academy grad) told me the day I accepted my NROTC Scholarship: USNA and NROTC grads both get the same commission, it just comes down to what kind of lifestyle you want to live. Like Nittany said, both commissions are exactly the same. Just make sure you pick the school that fits your lifestyle wants/needs the best. I always thought through high school that I wanted to live the 24/7 military life...but then I went to a regular college and did NROTC. I couldn't have made a better choice. Believe me, nothing beats having a great lifestyle and being able to go home or go out whenever (well, almost whenever) I want. Plus, you can't beat BIG TEN football....but thats just my opinion. Good luck in your decision making.

Noze

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I guess there's something to be said for the Big 12. I don't have a clue what, but somewhere, I'm sure there's something. . . :p

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Yeah, the big 12, let's see, the K-State QB decides to get in a little trouble before the Fiesta bowl (which they lost to Ohio State), and now there's the whole thing at Colorado that I won't touch with a ten foot stick. ;)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Go Big Ten or go home. It's nice to be in a conference that plays defense.

Spitfire

I vote for college life, it's the same commission with the same opportunities. With NROTC you can do all the things any other college student does, you just have to get up at 0500. =P

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Normal College: Hot Girls
Academy: "Hey baby, want to come up to my room with no TV?"

hahaha!!!!!!!! nice one.

Rotorhead

Of all the guys Ive talked to, it's a toss up. Some liked it (not really loved it) and some hated it. The good part is it doesnt cost you a dime. The bad parts are too numerous to type.
Academy grads do have a pretty good network on the outside world though, but so do alot of big name schools.

If you want to have fun in college, stay away from Canoe U

petescheu

Rotorhd-
I know quite a few people that totally loved their 4 years by the Bay. It helps if you have an awesome group of kids in your company though I guess. Yeah, the BS factor can be pretty rediculous, but there are some things that you just can't get anywhere else. Graduating with zero debt isn't such a bad prospect either, as compared to some of the OCS kids I know with 50-100k in school loans. Ouch...

Status
Not open for further replies.