• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAA Car Buying Service Questions

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think they did that bit on The Cosby Show as well.

But the point's valid: dealers are going to make their money somewhere, sticker, trade-in, or financing. Sounds like they're much more likely to give some on sticker and trade-in if you don't fight them on financing. So walk out the door not letting them know that you'll be refinancing with USAA or Navy Federal within a few weeks. The salesman makes his commission, you get a good price and give a big leg up to your credit score when you pay off the original loan. Everybody wins. Except Chrysler Financial or whoever, but fuck them anyway.

Sure it's more paperwork, but come on, it's a couple grand difference. i don't know about y'all, but I'd fill out some extra forms if someone paid me $2000.

I refinanced Mrs Fester's Charger through USAA that way, about three months after I bought at the local Dodge dealer and financed with CF. It was absolutely no trouble at all, got the exact same rate I would have if I'd brought the pre-approval check in, plus scored all the dealer's "get this rebate if you finance with us" deals.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Another question, I guess for Lawman as he seems to be the expert: I've been told that I can ask for the model car in the showroom or one they have been using for test drives or whatever that has some miles stacked on it already - is this true and if so, how do I go about this with the salesman?

And for everyone - thanks for all the advice from edmunds and USAA - I've been looking at both... just confused as to what I need basically.

Not that it's scientific, but when I and my dad went to a VW dealership to get him a sedan, we wound up getting the demo BMW M5 for about 5k more then the Passat we were looking at. It had about 500 miles on it, and because it was Demo, it had the base line engine, not the actual M. Still, amazing car for like 40% of sticker

Lawman

None
Another question, I guess for Lawman as he seems to be the expert: I've been told that I can ask for the model car in the showroom or one they have been using for test drives or whatever that has some miles stacked on it already - is this true and if so, how do I go about this with the salesman?

And for everyone - thanks for all the advice from edmunds and USAA - I've been looking at both... just confused as to what I need basically.

They call them Demo models, and they arent as common to find anymore. Talking to the older guys I worked with, back in the 80's and early 90's if you sold cars for a living you drove something from the dealership. Depending on your rank in the dealership you got to drive something nicer. So if you were the Sales Manager you could potentially cruise around in a nice car that changed out ever few weeks. Now days its just not that common. The managers/owners will have demos but your salesman likely will not so their arent as many on the lot. Also typically your demos came off the used car lot so it wasnt as big a deal as if they put a bunch of miles on a new car. With Ohio it was something like 1500-1750 miles before a car could no longer be considered "new" but their were a couple cases I saw with cars that the owner just couldnt get his wife out of that we threw some discount on.

Ricky Bobby

If you can find a demo model it's a real good deal. I got about $3,000 more off the total price of my truck. Still only had 40 miles on it too!

sundevil_av8r

pilot
Don't forget about the people who decide to sell their car after a year, for whatever reason, and eat a good amount of depreciation. I bought my 05' Acura in Dec of 2006 for $17k, with 21k miles.

Brand new, the MSRP was at $23,500... plus the $400 for tint, $1000 for some paint protection crap, $250 for floor mats, plus tax, etc. etc. etc. The total before financing would have been well in the upper $20k range. I estimate that I saved AT LEAST $7k (probably much more) for a car that looked new, smelled new, and still had several years/miles on the warranty.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Do not go off of the "sticker" or MSRP price. Go off of the invoice price (you can find this on edmunds or other sites). The "sticker" or MSRP is oftentimes $2000 and even 4000-7000 above invoice price. The invoice price is your baseline.

Nik00117

Banned
I read this thread after doing some research on the USAA car buying too, and I work in the industry as well.

1. When shopping for a car be pleasant. Please... I get a lot of really rude customers in my office (I don't deal with them, I tell them to go elsewhere I got better things to do)
2. Always look at their financing offers, example I remember one time USAA had quoted a guy at 8% on a car loan, I recommended he apply through our bank. The price was the car was $21,000 fin with USAA. If he financed with the bank I recommended his bottom line price stayed the same and his interest rate went to 4%
3. Best time to buy a NEW car, is between the times of Nov-Feb because what happens is the model year changes in Sept (normally) any stock that is left over from the previous year needs to get moved ASAP. So the Factories and the dealers start pushing them.

I can contest to that USAA pricing IS VERY GOOD. Not always the best I've had USAA Price customers in my office where I easily CRUSHED their pricing. Other times I've had to say "Look man I can't help you"

In fact today I had a customer in my office with one, I looked at the numbers and my jaw dropped. I went look lady unless your going come significitaly up in price I'm not going be doing business with you today. Simply because this is going cost me FAR TOO MUCH. She walked out, the price was INSANE. In fact as she walked out I gave her my card and went "If you find a dealership willing to let this vehicle go for that price you let me know and we'll go ahead and pay you" We aren't going take a $1,000 hit on a car. It's just not worth it.

But we car salesman see a lot of bullshit I once had a lady tell me she could pick up an SRT 8 Challanger for $21,000 my response "Bring the paperwork proving you paid $21,000 for a brand new challanger SRT8 and I'll give you 10 100 dollar bills"

Lady never brothered coming back, i'd of given her a $1,000 tooo.

S.O.B.

pilot
Remember to take advantage of the Florida Resident no sales tax deal. For those of you that don't know if you: 1. Entered the military in Florida 2. Not living in Florida or planning to in the next 6 months, you can avoid sales tax on a new vehicle. The paper work was very easy and the folks at the DMV were helpful.