• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAA Car Buying Service Questions

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
For the record, I am pretty convinced I'll be buying a used car, probably nothing older than 2001. I am assuimg that I'll be moving quite a bit in the next couple years by selecting Naval Aviator or Naval Flight Officer, so I am really just looking for something reliable that I can put some miles on. I am leaning towards a 4D sedan or something, but I might get a small SUV - do you think between all the moves in the upcoming 5 years that it'd be worth it or will I be alright with a 4D Sedan?

If you get a small SUV, I know from experience that you can fit a lot of crap in a CR-V (and they're pretty good on gas).

Plus, there's a picnic table in the "trunk", and they don't cost as much as these 40k beasts these guys are talking about.

foampositz

livin' life
pilot
One of the biggest poor decisions is the initial car purchase when commissioned.

I agree with that. I bought a 2000 honda civic from my brother in college. Never had to make a payment on it since. I have zero debt, and moderate investments. Now how do you feel about a new car purchase with the bump to O-2 pay??

I have been looking at the 2010 Mustang GT and the 2010 Camaro comes out on the lots next week!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Financing...it's been said the GM is a financing company with a automotive subsidiary.

I'm of mixed mind about the payment philosophy. I come with a dollar figure I have as a range and an upper limit, having already figured the payment I'm going to get. I've had salesmen try to say I could go to a 6-year-loan and keep the same payment.

"Absolutely no way." That's another year of being upside down.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I agree with that. I bought a 2000 honda civic from my brother in college. Never had to make a payment on it since. I have zero debt, and moderate investments. Now how do you feel about a new car purchase with the bump to O-2 pay??

I have been looking at the 2010 Mustang GT and the 2010 Camaro comes out on the lots next week!

I think this will answer your question...

I wish I had driven my (paid off) 1988 Toyota Corolla until the wheels feel off. Even if you drop $3K a year for upkeep it is less than a car payment. Save the money and when you have enough go buy a 2-3 year old model and write a check. One of the reasons rich people stay rich is because they don't pay interest when they don't have to. If that Honda is still running I would only write that check if I had no credit card debt, an established emergency fund and my TSP and IRA maxed...we are getting into a whole other thread topic but you get my drift.

I am not the only crazy old man that will tell you this. Ask around and learn from those that have been where you are going. Learn to balance your wants/needs early and it can set the tone for the rest of your life.

Daisy

Also somebody said "Same as cash so the dealer can come down a little." Thats false, they want you to finance. Not the same way a buy here pay here lot wants you to finance (those guys are the sharks) but because the bank that wins the bid on you typically kicks the dealer a couple hundred dollars as a "thanks for letting us play" fee.

So would it be a good idea to not pay cash even if you have it, take the financing for a slightly better price, then pay off the loan as soon as the introductory 0% expires?

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
So would it be a good idea to not pay cash even if you have it, take the financing for a slightly better price, then pay off the loan as soon as the introductory 0% expires?

Oooh. That's smart. Provided you can get the lower total price, that's actually REALLY smart.

They weren't kidding when they say to listen to your mother! :D

Lawman

None

If its 0% financing and you know you could just pay it off anyway then hell yes do it that way. A paid off auto loan is a huge boost in your credit history.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there any truth to the theory that it's better to buy at the end of the month/year/model year because dealers are eager to clear out inventory? I guess it makes sense, but it always sounded to me like a line planted by dealerships to get customers in the door.

Lawman

None
Is there any truth to the theory that it's better to buy at the end of the month/year/model year because dealers are eager to clear out inventory? I guess it makes sense, but it always sounded to me like a line planted by dealerships to get customers in the door.

You can probably do a faster job of clearing through the negotiations to a lower price, but money is still money. Going into the red has more often times more to do with which particular car on the lot your looking at than the day on the calender. If its a unit that has sat for a while or something thats having trouble selling (think big trucks/SUVs when gas was 4.08/gal) you may beat him up a little more.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I just did the car buying service this morning as I have been actively looking for a new car. The system was great! I got a call back this morning about the 370z with about $2,000 off the MSRP.

I'm glad this question came up as I had no clue about the service USAA offers.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
My parents keep telling me a story about the time they went to get a minivan (circa 1987). My dad, a successful doctor, (it's important later) and my mom, heavily pregnant with my younger brother, get dressed up in their raggediest, most disheveled-looking clothes they could find, and took their two screaming toddlers (that would be my brother and I, aged 3 and 18 months at the time) to the dealership with them.

From what they tell me, the look on the salesman's face was one of horror and 'I really don't want to talk to these people.' After absolutely convincing this poor salesman about the plight of their situation and that they absolutely cannot afford anything higher than their price (significantly below sticker), the salesman graciously offers them a generous financing plan, making a point to note the low, low amount they would have paid if they could only have paid today (his fatal mistake). The financing plan is how they were going to make their profit, for those who are confused. Dad pulls out a calculator, does some calculations, and agrees, while mother looks despondent about how they are going to come up with the money to pay for this.

Then, the second the papers are signed and the deal is sealed, RIGHT before they are about to drive off the lot, Dad calmly tells the salesman that he's a doctor, pulls out his checkbook and writes a check. The salesman looked like he was going to cry.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Another question, I guess for Lawman as he seems to be the expert: I've been told that I can ask for the model car in the showroom or one they have been using for test drives or whatever that has some miles stacked on it already - is this true and if so, how do I go about this with the salesman?

And for everyone - thanks for all the advice from edmunds and USAA - I've been looking at both... just confused as to what I need basically.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Then, the second the papers are signed and the deal is sealed, RIGHT before they are about to drive off the lot, Dad calmly tells the salesman that he's a doctor, pulls out his checkbook and writes a check. The salesman looked like he was going to cry.

I've gotta say that's kind of weird......but hey, if it worked then so be it