• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAA Car Buying Service Questions

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone used USAA's Car Buying service to get a used or new car? I've found a couple good deals and then a couple that are well over the Kelly Blue Book value (despite the guarantee that you never pay over the KBB value?) for some used cars and the new car prices seem competitive. So how does it work, you just tell the dealer that you're a USAA Member and you get "member pricing" or whatever it's called? Do you have any bargaining power with the dealer or is the price listed the final offer?

Would you say your overall experience going through USAA was worth it?

Thanks.

Cabbage

None
I used USAA's car buying service and could not be happier.

1. Go on the website and build your car
2. Press "buy this car"
3. USAA calls you 5 minutes later with the dealer's name and POC

I paid approx $9k less than MSRP and $2k less than the KBB market price for a $40k car (actually minivan which resulted in the loss of a testicle)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I printed the page of info from the USAA website. Took it to the dealer, got an Expedetion.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I used it as others have said and was happy with the results. Built my car, printed out the page with the USAA price guarantee, printed out my loan pre-approval, called the POC at the dealership. I saved several grand off the MSRP.

I think the way it works is that USAA is basically "vouching" for their members and telling the dealership that the person buying the car is good for the money. With a loan pre-approval, the dealership gets their cash the same day, so this is basically the same as cash. Since the dealership knows they'll get the cash, they can afford to knock some off of the price in return for quick money.

AMEX also offers what would appear to be the exact same car buying program.

MasterBates

WHY did you guys have to post this.. Because now I want to buy a new truck.

You know, one without rust holes in the doors and working AC.

Pags

N/A
pilot
How does this program work with trade ins?

Same as trading in any other car. The price the dealer is going to give you is say $25k. If the dealer gives you $2k on top of whatever existing debt your trade in has (you owe 5k on old car, they say trade in is worth 7k), then you'd owe them 23k.

MasterBates

What I was more thinking of is

Do they still give you more or less the same trade in they would give JoSchmo paying cash without USAA negotiating.

Or do they pull the "You are saving so much via USAA we cant give you more than X for you car (which would be worth Y otherwise)"

Where is Lawman to chime in on this shit when I need him.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What I was more thinking of is

Do they still give you more or less the same trade in they would give JoSchmo paying cash without USAA negotiating.

Or do they pull the "You are saving so much via USAA we cant give you more than X for you car (which would be worth Y otherwise)"

Where is Lawman to chime in on this shit when I need him.

I dunno. But I printed out the KBB trade in values and brought them with me.

phrogpilot73

So the dealer has always honored the price you find on USAA?
I've never used it, but I'd say yes. Think about it. If they don't - you walk out and they get zero. Then you call USAA and they get no more business from USAA customers. I'd say it's in their best interests to honor the price.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've never used it, but I'd say yes. Think about it. If they don't - you walk out and they get zero. Then you call USAA and they get no more business from USAA customers. I'd say it's in their best interests to honor the price.

Exactly what he said. The USAA price doesn't include tax.

kilikopela

pilot
The USAA price doesn't include tax.

Purchase a new car before the end of the year and Senor Obama will give u a refund check for the state/fed taxes. I think the refund is limited up to the car's value up to $50k or something. Saw it on a USAA ad... How's that for another incentive to buy Master?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
before you use the USAA service.... find a few dealers in your area that have the type of vehicle you want & e-mail their internet sales person.... tell that person exactly what your looking for, that you're ready to buy, and what is the best deal they are willing to give... then compare it to what USAA is offering.

I did that & got my car at invoice ... the USAA service was $1000 more.

Edmunds.com is a good website... it'll give you invoice of the vehicle you're looking for, any incentives that are being offered for that particular model, and you can go visit the forums & find the vehicle you want and most have a thread for "prices paid" so you can get an idea of what others are paying for the vehicle.

USAA's Car Buying service is a good, easy service, as others have mentioned, but it's not necessarily the best deal you can get if you'er willing to do a little research & work on your end.

S/F