• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

cb812

SNA
Not sure if this information is buried somewhere on the site or not.

OCS is no longer issuing hygiene gear. You can use what you bring or purchase some at the mini NEX on Indoc Sunday. Keep in mind the mini NEX stocks very little, so if you are picky bring your own.

Are any particular items not allowed? Such as mouthwash due to alcohol content?

44magnum

Are mini medals still needed? The OCS website only says to bring large medals and ribbons, but posts here from years ago say bring minis too. Thanks.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Bring basic toiletries. The mini NEX stopped "issuing" the toiletry kit that included toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shaving cream, deodorant. I couldn't believe how many indocs showed up in the past class without some of these basic items, especially soap.

getalfhere85

I may have missed this but how will we be paying for the uniforms? Will they give us an account that we have to payoff before we leave? Do we need to have enough funds in our bank accounts for each purchase?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Will they give us an account that we have to payoff before we leave?
Yes. There will be several trips to the uniform shop to pick up various items, and they'll just keep track of your charges for the time being, and once you get towards the end of OCS you have to pay it off. They give you several options, but I don't recall offhand. Generally the best thing to do is to get the Military STAR Card and use it ONLY to pay for the uniform bill. They'll cover all this at OCS, but the STAR card has a deal where your first day of purchases is 10% off, so if you use it to pay for 3 grand worth of uniforms, you save 300 bucks. But if you accidentally use it to buy a Yoo-hoo at the NEX the day before, you're SOL.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
We get Yoo-Hoo at OCS? I'm gonna party like it's 1985!
Candio phase only. As officer candidates the only food we could buy at the NEX were protein bars, and even that was a privilege we had to earn. But when we became candios, everything unlocked, including chocolate milk and dessert at chow hall. Good times.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Yes. There will be several trips to the uniform shop to pick up various items, and they'll just keep track of your charges for the time being, and once you get towards the end of OCS you have to pay it off. They give you several options, but I don't recall offhand. Generally the best thing to do is to get the Military STAR Card and use it ONLY to pay for the uniform bill. They'll cover all this at OCS, but the STAR card has a deal where your first day of purchases is 10% off, so if you use it to pay for 3 grand worth of uniforms, you save 300 bucks. But if you accidentally use it to buy a Yoo-hoo at the NEX the day before, you're SOL.
that's an ass-ton of money in uniforms. Do you get briefed on costs before you go to OCS or do they just drop this dime in front of you when you arrive in newport?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
that's an ass-ton of money in uniforms. Do you get briefed on costs before you go to OCS or do they just drop this dime in front of you when you arrive in newport?
They pretty much tell you when you get there. But you should make about 6 grand while you're there (E-5 pay for three months) in addition to your uniform allowance, and 3 grand is more the top end of the uniform costs (since I sprung for the Brooks Brothers SDB's, which are hella nice but as a pilot I really don't wear them much at all unfortunately). And outside of the uniform expenses, you're not really spending much money, at least until candio phase.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
They pretty much tell you when you get there. But you should make about 6 grand while you're there (E-5 pay for three months) in addition to your uniform allowance, and 3 grand is more the top end of the uniform costs (since I sprung for the Brooks Brothers SDB's, which are hella nice but as a pilot I really don't wear them much at all unfortunately). And outside of the uniform expenses, you're not really spending much money, at least until candio phase.
Word. Do they leave the B.B. SDBs untailored? Or are most service uniforms standard clothing sizes?