• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why not? I wore mine a couple days after I commissioned. You get that magical little 1390/1370 designator along with your shiny gold bar on commissioning day, why not dress like one?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Yeah, fuck that black shoe noise. Wear brown shoes as soon as you can get them. That SWOs don't just seems like more auto-dickpunching.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What occasions?

Occasions after IFS, unfortunately.... I'd like to burn it, myself but usually once in a while SOME event is made to be an NWU event. I guess the CO figures we HAVE a uniform... might as well make it mando for something... I guess I should probably sew on LT bars for the next random event.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
This might be a few years down the road for you, but if you ever find yourself in NYC for Fleet Week, you will need 3 sets of whites, 2 sets of shoes and 2 covers because at least one of each will get swiped by a chick, drenched in beer at McSorley's, stained with subway soot, or hopefully all 3.

GoPack3790

pilot
Any suggestions where to order the brown shoes from?
Also, when wearing khakis in the fleet, are we supposed to wear shirt stays? My NROTC unit requires that we wear them, so I need to figure out if I need to get a better pair of them.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Any suggestions where to order the brown shoes from?
Also, when wearing khakis in the fleet, are we supposed to wear shirt stays? My NROTC unit requires that we wear them, so I need to figure out if I need to get a better pair of them.

You can get by with the brown Bates Lights (lites?) they sell at the NEX. You don't HAVE to wear shirt stays, but make sure it's not all hanging out looking shitty. When I wear khakis I still wear my stays...but I rarely wear khakis.

mid1510

I know I'm a far way from rating brown boots, but I heard recommendations on Red Wing boots. Did a google search and couldn't find a shop that sells them. Any ideas?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know I'm a far way from rating brown boots, but I heard recommendations on Red Wing boots. Did a google search and couldn't find a shop that sells them. Any ideas?

You'll get issued (more than likely) brown boots when you get to the fleet. Don't get Redwings. Some guys still wear them, but depending on the community, you may be told to stop wearing them because they're specifically not authorized for flight.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
They're issuing the brown boots to API studs during week 3 gear issue now...I've only seen brown boots worn in API and Primary, YMMV

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

If you must have brown boots and don't want to wait; get Belleville 330ST.
If you can't get to a Navy Exchange, then you can find them on-line.
You most likely will NOT find them at an Army, Air Forces or Marine Corps Exchange since they are Navy unique items.

The last thing you want to do is drop a couple of hundred bucks on new boots to only be told they are prohibited and you can't wear them.

yakboyslim

None
When we were issued our brown boots we were told we could not wear any other boots in Primary. So just wait until you get them issued to you, it will be at the same time as your flight suit, so you won't need them any earlier anyway.

I didn't go with the Bates Lites when I got my brown shoes. I went with the brown plain toe oxford Florsheim that you can buy in the civilian clothes half of the NEX. I thought they felt like a better shoe. If you aren't pleased with the Bates give them a try.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Everybody has brown boots now...they issue them in API and we wear them in the VTs. Everybody....

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been wearing the Red Wing's for a long time now. No one (who matters) has ever said a word. Hard to get told not to wear them when every CAG I've had was wearing them too...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OP: You need 3x sets khakis. Get a size larger than normal and tailor them down to allow for future tailoring after 'shrinkage'. Wear two, keep one inspection-ready set pressed/starched and rigged just in case. Don't be the guy up late frantically trying to make your daily-wear set look shit hot for a meeting with the skipper/PRB/Commodore the next morning and your future in Naval Aviation is hanging on it. Protip: it doesn't work, and when the Skipper or PRB's first thought when you walk in is, "What a shitbag," things will not improve from there.

Buy brown shoes. No one will ever be impressed by a SNA/SNFO wearing black shoes. It doesn't say 'I'm afraid of jinxing myself,' it says, 'I have so little confidence in my potential to make it through the TRACOM that I'm afraid to drop $40 on a pair of shoes'. The Bates Lights they sell at the NEX are fine.

Other than that, one set whites and one set of SDBs (with Ensign stripe, as mentioned above). Seasonal uniform change in the Gulf Coast region is usually April Fool's and Halloween. Odds are, you'll be there during a seasonal uniform change, so may as well take care of it. When one of your fellow ensigns dicks the dog, a sudden SDB/whites inspection for you and all your friends can and has happened.

Whether you need NWUs depends on the VT you go to and what their watch policies are, so you probably won't need them, in the uniform-of-the-day-sense, before you finish API. But I would submit that while in A-Pool/IFS/API, there will be days when you're otherwise untasked and need to go to Medical, PSD, STUCON, what have you. You need to be in uniform for that (NB: Ensigns taking care of official business in their beach togs will likewise impress no one), and if it's a choice between rigging and putting on khakis or throwing on NWUs, I'd go with the aquaflauge.