• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms! Holy Cow! These puppies are expensive! (Bonus: Tax writeoff gouge)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I have a tangential question about the sore subject of socks. The flight suit regs say that socks must be white or green 100% cotton or 100% wool which I assume is for burn prevention in case of cockpit fire. I can't find 100% anything these days besides BS which is in high supply, do you senior winged gentlemen think it's an issue?

V/r Birdbrain

No one gives a shit about socks past OCS. I’d recommend a nice pair of wool boot socks. Your feet are in those boots for 12+ hrs regularly. Don’t wear 12 for $5 cotton socks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don’t wear 12 for $5 cotton socks.
That's what I've worn for 28 years, from the Icelandic winter to Central America, to Vegas in August. Never had any issues. Fancy socks are fine, but they aren't necessarily needed.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A former PR felt the need to educate the masses:
kcjerk.0.gif

Duc'-guy25

pilot
This is false. Marines obsess about boot sock color, especially at flight school. It's unhealthy.

I've never once encountered this. If Marine IPs are doing this in CNATRA it would be the first I've ever heard of it, the only way they would even know is if they are going around doing sock checks. I literally wear funky socks to work and no one has ever noticed or cared enough to say anything.

Buy them here; join the rebellion.
http://funkysocks.com

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's a little bit of a joke, but in the past, I've seen Marine IPs harass Marine studs. They would leave the Navy guys alone.

While obviously not the same thing, I remember a tie-cutting where a Marine stud dressed up just like his Navy on-wing for part of his skit, to include white socks. It was actually pretty funny and garnered some laughs, so naturally the stud was fined. Why? Because he was out of uniform and was wearing white socks.

The Vice always wins.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
That's what I've worn for 28 years, from the Icelandic winter to Central America, to Vegas in August. Never had any issues. Fancy socks are fine, but they aren't necessarily needed.

To each their own, but when I went from cotton to wool, I found my feet were drier, more comfortable, and odor went from sometimes noticeable to zero.

*break break*

I wear Smartwool for socks, boxer briefs, and undershirts for flying. All 100% merino wool (so won't melt like polyester tech fabrics like Under Armor), kind of expensive, but way more comfortable in the Pensacola heat. For tan flight suit, I've got a couple Massif under shirts.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Early in my fleet tour, I purchased 15 pairs of Merino wool boot socks. Not cheap, but a great investment. I never had to worry about matching or equal wear. I wore those socks for years. When I was leaving the Navy they were starting to get holes and I threw most of them out.

I highly recommend that to anyone who expects to wear boots for years.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It goes all the way back to early October. There should probably be a separate socks thread.
Yeah, but did we ever solve the “which foot first” when putting them on issue?