• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms! Holy Cow! These puppies are expensive! (Bonus: Tax writeoff gouge)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not so worried about drill weekends - I'm happy to do the first one in civilian clothes if I don't have an NWU uniform by then.

The problem I'm trying to solve for is that there's an ANZAC Day celebration coming up in Boston and I would love to honor my grandfather and greatuncles who fought in the Gallipoli campaign by wearing SDBs. If this event wasn't coming up, I honestly wouldn't worry about uniforms whatsoever until I had been gained.
That’s awesome that you are honoring your grandfather & great uncle’s contributions.
In 2018, I visited the ANZAC memorial & museum in Sydney, Australia. I learned so much about ANZAC.
930686BA-CB45-48AB-B46F-E6CBC4EC2935.jpeg
8B49533E-E0C4-435E-A779-02B26F8633AC.jpeg
C9453FB1-454E-43C5-B929-1C3B78ECDC52.jpeg

number9

Contributor
That’s awesome that you are honoring your grandfather & great uncle’s contributions.
In 2018, I visited the ANZAC memorial & museum in Sydney, Australia. I learned so much about ANZAC.
Thanks for posting that! I am from the west coast so I've never been to the Sydney memorial. The Perth memorial looks like this, though I can't claim credit for the photo:

Kings_Park_War_Memorial_Sunrise.jpg

The eponymous film Gallipoli remains a classic (and still holds up today); there was a TV series made in 2015 but I haven't seen it. There have been dozens and dozens of books written about the campaign, and the best is probably this one by Peter Hart.

As far as I know, my grandfather was not wounded there. One of his brothers in Gallipoli was shot in the head (!) and lived (!!), and his brother escaped unscathed. That same grandfather also fought in WW2.. I don't know how many men fought in both campaigns, but it's not a large number. My other grandfather was too young for WW1 and served in the RAN in WW2.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm not so worried about drill weekends - I'm happy to do the first one in civilian clothes if I don't have an NWU uniform by then.

The problem I'm trying to solve for is that there's an ANZAC Day celebration coming up in Boston and I would love to honor my grandfather and greatuncles who fought in the Gallipoli campaign by wearing SDBs. If this event wasn't coming up, I honestly wouldn't worry about uniforms whatsoever until I had been gained.

Assuming Anzac Day and the Boston celebration is at the end of the month, that's a relatively short period of time to (1) order uniforms and (2) get them tailored to a right fit for the ceremony.

Maybe just wait until next year? There's many ways to honor family members who have served, but it may be too short of a period of time to have a right uniform to honor and celebrate.

number9

Contributor
Assuming Anzac Day and the Boston celebration is at the end of the month, that's a relatively short period of time to (1) order uniforms and (2) get them tailored to a right fit for the ceremony.

Maybe just wait until next year? There's many ways to honor family members who have served, but it may be too short of a period of time to have a right uniform to honor and celebrate.
That is totally reasonable! I just wanted to see if there was a relatively easy way I could procure them before that - but if there isn't, I won't lose any sleep over it.

RJS

Good afternoon everyone. Opening up a discussion on something I have not seen in the forum. Maybe…not for DCO’s anyway.

Questions:

1. Does swear-in take place at the recruiting office or can it take place elsewhere (base, chapel/church, etc)? I am aware that a officer must administer the Oath of Office and sign off on it.

2. Is there an option to do swear-in in the uniform of that season (currently summer whites)?

I am aware that others may be unable to gain access to base or the navy exchange (NEX). I would like to do something formal with my family as well as have my wife give me my first salute (She’s AD Chief). Looking forward to hearing any responses or thoughts on this.

Unit assignment is in the works and Regional mentors have been assigned. Just preparing to purchase uniforms ahead of time since I have someone experienced enough to show me things. Hope this approach isn’t taboo.

number9

Contributor
Good afternoon everyone. Opening up a discussion on something I have not seen in the forum. Maybe…not for DCO’s anyway.

Questions:

1. Does swear-in take place at the recruiting office or can it take place elsewhere (base, chapel/church, etc)? I am aware that a officer must administer the Oath of Office and sign off on it.

2. Is there an option to do swear-in in the uniform of that season (currently summer whites)?

I am aware that others may be unable to gain access to base or the navy exchange (NEX). I would like to do something formal with my family as well as have my wife give me my first salute (She’s AD Chief). Looking forward to hearing any responses or thoughts on this.

Unit assignment is in the works and Regional mentors have been assigned. Just preparing to purchase uniforms ahead of time since I have someone experienced enough to show me things. Hope this approach isn’t taboo.
1. It can take place anywhere - I did it over Zoom from my home office and a grad school classmate swore me in. My recruiter offered to have someone swear me in at MEPS, which I declined. An officer must administer the oath, but I believe it can be any commissioned officer (even from other services). Keep in mind that the officer you use needs to sign some paperwork for you in addition to administering the oath.

2. I don't see why not. I chose not to wear the uniform because a) I didn't physically have a uniform yet and b) I had no idea how to wear it and was afraid I would wear it incorrectly. My recruiter, who was great, took me to the NEX to get uniforms but the tailoring wasn't ready by the time I swore in. If it's important to you, I would ask your wife if she will take you to get a uniform. If you're near Newport RI, I'll gladly take you myself!

RJS

1. It can take place anywhere - I did it over Zoom from my home office and a grad school classmate swore me in. My recruiter offered to have someone else swear me in at MEPS, which I declined. An officer must administer the oath, but I believe it can be any officer (even from other services). Keep in mind that the officer you use needs to sign some paperwork for you in addition to administering the oath

2. I don't see why not. I chose not to wear the uniform because a) I didn't physically have a uniform yet and b) I had no idea how to wear it and was afraid I would wear it incorrectly. My recruiter, who was great, took me to the NEX to get uniforms but the tailoring wasn't ready by the time I swore in. If it's important to you, I would ask your wife if she will take you to get a uniform.
Okay great! A close friend of mine, is still serving as a Marine Lt. Col. reached out to him to see if he could make himself available for the Oath and swear-in. I don’t think he’ll have any issues signing off on it.

Yes. My wife is onboard with helping me so, we’ll make our way to the NEX and gather the NWU, Khaki, and possibly summer white/dress blue. She’s been making sure I stay up on uniform guidance. Lol. I also downloaded the app MyNavyUniform for a quick look at the policy. I think I would be okay with getting the summer white before messages are released for the change (NAVADMIN/ALNAV). Thanks for responding @number9

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I swore in my brother in law to an Army Jag Corps commission along with 2 or 3 nephews under various circumstances. The officer can be retired too. Friend was sworn in to a direct commission as a Navy PAO by BG Barry Goldwater, USAF (ret).

Reactions: RJS

RJS

I swore in my brother in law to an Army Jag Corps commission along with 2 or 3 nephews under various circumstances. The officer can be retired too. Friend was sworn in to a direct commission as a Navy PAO by BG Barry Goldwater, USAF (ret).
Thanks for chiming in on this @wink. Close friend is a Lt. Col Marine Officer. I just need to make sure that I can give advance notice to him so that his schedule is clear. My wife will give me my first salute. Smh ideas what type of coin I should purchase? I know a silver dollar is tradition. May just go to Amazon to grab one. Thanks again.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for chiming in on this @wink. Close friend is a Lt. Col Marine Officer. I just need to make sure that I can give advance notice to him so that his schedule is clear. My wife will give me my first salute. Smh ideas what type of coin I should purchase? I know a silver dollar is tradition. May just go to Amazon to grab one. Thanks again.
Be sure to tell your recruiter and processor so the oath of office paperwork will properly reflect his name rank, etc. Don't drop it on them at the last minute.

RJS

Be sure to tell your recruiter and processor so the oath of office paperwork will properly reflect his name rank, etc. Don't drop it on them at the last minute.
Got it. Send an email right now. Thanks for letting me know this piece of information sir.

RJS

View attachment 35789
Lt. Sgt. Claude-jean, Fashion Corps, Naval Marines
I bust out laughing and hurt my chest.? Im gonna share this with a few friends of mine.?

I’m sure I wouldn’t go this far. Was thinking about just not wearing any shoulder board ranking, or cover, and have my kids put them on me after oath and swear-in. My wife would give me my first salute; something She and I both are looking forward to.