• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms! Holy Cow! These puppies are expensive! (Bonus: Tax writeoff gouge)

bryanteagle6

all right - Ill change the subject!

Are all NEX uniform shops created equal? Ill have to drive/fly at least 5-6 hours to get to a uniform shop to get my initial fitting. Do some places have limited stock or not as experienced staff or anything? If im going to drive - id like to know when i get there, I'll be able to get everything and anything!

Im going to orlando at the end of the month - I might stop by while im there vs driving to Great Lakes or MD later.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影

Are all NEX uniform shops created equal? Ill have to drive/fly at least 5-6 hours to get to a uniform shop to get my initial fitting. Do some places have limited stock or not as experienced staff or anything? If im going to drive - id like to know when i get there, I'll be able to get everything and anything!

Im going to orlando at the end of the month - I might stop by while im there vs driving to Great Lakes or MD later.
They are not equal. I went to Henderson Hall to get my gold buttons sewn on my Peacoat/Reefer. They sewed the long shank buttons on the side where the flat ones were supposed to go. Also not all shops carry all items and sizes. Most of the bigger places will obviously have a better selection. Is the Online Uniform shop not an option for you? You can always go and get sized and then order online. The issue is the uniforms come in some funky sizes.

bryanteagle6

yea - thats my point. Since I'm new and not anywhere near a NEX, I'm going to have to go and get fitted by a Navy professional at least the first time. After that, I can use the online site. I bought my NWU on the website because I knew what size I wore from my Army uni. But the blues, whites, khaki etc are all different. I want to get it done well and right the first time if possible.

Im in OHIO - 6 hours from Great Lakes and Bethesda, MD. Ive heard good things about both - but there is a tiny NEX in Indiana somewhere.

Reservist

Intelligence Officer

I'll double down on Devilbones - Sizes are funky. Not like civilian clothes. Even Navy sizes vary from uniform. Might be large on one thing medium in a different thing.

Not all NEXES are equal. Some are like Sax 5th Avenue - others are more like a convenience store. Depends on the size of the base.

Online you can get just about anything, but the try on part is quirky. You can always return stuff from online. I bough a pair of khaki pants that I exchanged in person at the Newport RI NEX last weekend.

Newport RI has basically everything. You can always hold off till you are there is you don't see some things and want to try them on.

I've never been to Orlando - but Newport RI and Norfolk VA have everything under the sun.

Great Lakes with also have everything and VA is not far from MD depending on the way you travel. Norfolk probably has the world's greatest exchange. I think the Norfolk comment might be a fact on being the largest in the Navy but I could be wrong. It is big. Not doubt there.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Im in OHIO - 6 hours from Great Lakes and Bethesda, MD. Ive heard good things about both - but there is a tiny NEX in Indiana somewhere.
Drive to the tiny NEX in Indiana, and if they don't have most of what you need, get back on the road and keep driving til you hit Great Lakes. ;)
1547568598261.jpeg

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

YMMV. I've been to a NEX Mini Mart that was better stocked on uniform items than a proper NEX uniform shop on a major installation. I've also had good experience buying online. The nice thing about that is you can have them make and sew on your name tape for the NWUs and do other embroidery for other uniform items.

Haha. I only know about Crane, Indiana because I've been told so many bad things about it.

BarryD

Contributor
YMMV. I've been to a NEX Mini Mart that was better stocked on uniform items than a proper NEX uniform shop on a major installation. I've also had good experience buying online. The nice thing about that is you can have them make and sew on your name tape for the NWUs and do other embroidery for other uniform items.

Haha. I only know about Crane, Indiana because I've been told so many bad things about it.
On Rosecrans?